New Sun Kil Moon in February - Benji

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryce, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Got "Perils From The Sea" today, black vinyl but I couldn't care less. With an album like that onne can be glad to have it on vinyl:)

Kristeva and mogambotek like this.
  2. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

I only got it on black and am happy. Yes, the Blue version is more limited but I have heard some pressing issues with it \ distortion in some tracks and my black version sounds great (have heard others say the same as well about their black copy).

Also, this may be controversial, but in my opinion Perils from the Sea >>>> Benji.

Kristeva likes this.
  3. I don't think the number of copies is the problem nearly as much as the distribution plan. The same stores get most of the copies of every single release whether it's Kozelek, SKM, Desertshore, etc. That causes stores and people to hoard the copies and/or flip them to profit. It's like the RSD Lottery 2.0.

mogambotek and Kristeva like this.
  4. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

5. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I agree - black is the way to go with Perils, the blue is noisy by all accounts. I hope my Blue Benji (if it ever comes) wont be the same. Thanks to Jones I've now ordered a back up black copy.

6. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yes, good point, I agree - where are these discog sellers getting all their multiple copies from.

But this wouldn't be happening to a certain extent if there wasn't all this mystic created surrounding limited numbers, different colours, etc. Trouble is they're playing up to the gallery - and the gallery is full of paranoid completists/collectors who must have one of everything. Why can't they just print a **** load of black for people like you and me and be done with it and save the coloured stuff for those who want to hang on it on the wall.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  7. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

That may be easier said than done. Mark is running his own label and likely has to absorb unsold inventory. The limited runs ensure the inventory is sold. It requires us fans to dutifully watch and wait and jump quick when the vinyl editions come out, or else we have to deal with the flippers. Naively, I will say this described business model favors the artist, and if that is what is required to keep Mark making music and putting out vinyl versions, then so be it. I'm in.

macdaddysinfo and inaptitude like this.
  8. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yes, that makes sense. As a bit of cynic I would argue this model hasn't been put in place for entirely altruistic reasons.

Off the top of my head I can't understand why CV couldn't employ the tactic of having a 'pre-order' session before a major release to gauge the numbers.

9. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I noticed Insound has both the yellow and black versions of Benji in stock.

The blue Perils is actually not too bad, I barely noticed any noise and it's a pretty quiet album in parts. Got a black on the way from Amazon UK as well.

Not gotten my hands on Benji yet, my copies are lying at my sisters in America and no idea when i'll get them.. maybe March. I did order a blue one as well from CV but those aren't shipping yet either. I cancelled my Amazon UK Benji order as I really don't need that many copies of this album.... I much prefer Perils as well!

Now bring on the MK/Desertshore vinyl release!

10. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

... and the CD release, which is also sold out (at least last time that I looked). Grrr.

--Geoff

11. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

My experience is if you care about sound then avoid colored vinyl. They are more often warped and more noisy. Go with black.

12. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

I disagree and use my white vinyl copy of the first sun kil moon as an example of amazing fidelity on colored wax. As mentioned millions of times on this board vinyl that is black is essentially colored. I'll admit some colored pressings are inferior to black (aphex twin selected ambient II for instance) but it's a pressing issue not material.

13. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

has anyone listened to the yellow vinyl copy of Benji who could speak towards any potential defects/sound issues?
    i have a colored copy on hold, and they have a few black copies left at my local shop. trying to decide which to pick up.
    these songs sounded great and powerful from the stage last week by the way. riveting work.

14. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I've often wondered about this as well, but there was a recent article posted on Pitchfork about the problems labels are having with getting their vinyl pressed these days. I think taking preorders before having a firm date on when the records will be pressed would not be a smart move, as it could lead to people waiting upwards of 6 months before they would receive their orders.

I had never really thought about this limited edition method as a means to ensure you don't have left over stock. Interesting. Makes sense for an artist like this that probably isn't rolling in the dough. If he would just keep doing small represses to keep up with demand it wouldn't be so annoying.

15. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

don't hold me to this as I've not heard it, but over on the sad reminders forum initial reports have suggested the yellow copy is quiet and good.

16. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yes, I agree, on both points.

In fact Benji is now down for a 2nd (re-) press. Quite how it turns out is another matter - bearing in mind it's 2 more lots of coloured vinyl (red and clear) the collectors will be salivating again.

17. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

I agree, seems straightforward.

It may have to due with fixed order quantities at the pressing plant (i.e., say you have to order records in production shift increments, and one shift at the pressing plant yields 1,500, so can only order in multiples of 1,500), but I am totally speculating here. Perhaps I'll reach out and ask.

18. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

i'm sure Koz fans wouldn't mind having to wait a few months to receive their vinyl as long as they knew they were definitely going to get a copy. For example they released Perils on CD way before the vinyl edition - why didn't they do a vinyl pre-order then for say a 2 week period on the understanding it wouldn't be available for 4-6 months. Don't take any money until it ships, like Amazon. Yeah, you might get a few cancellations but they'll get swallowed up by someone else.

19. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

I think some advance notice or more information about pressing numbers from Caldo Verde would have been nice. I assumed the Perils vinyl would be super limited, and I missed it on CV when it first was put up for pre-order. I was gutted, and ended up buying into the "limited forever" hype and ended up spending $175 on it. Now of course later you can buy them in almost any shop plus everywhere online. Had I known these would be rolled out more I wouldn't have spent so much on it. I guess in the past knowing how tough it is to get Koz vinyl once it sells out, I didn't want to miss out.

Anyways, i'll probably flip whatever extra copies of Benji I have in about 10 years to make up for what I spent on Perils!

20. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

yeah, what happened to you is what annoys so many people. That stinks as far as I'm concerned and its all been created around the myth of exclusivity.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A lot of ebay dealers make good use of the "Wanna have it" reflex. Right now most copies of "Benji" offered in Ebay are way overpriced. Especially since most European retailers haven't received their stock yet.

What I don't get is this: Does MK think he has enough money so he can leave it up to flippers - using the uncertainty of the situation - to make profit with his records? Wanting to annoy your fans is one thing but giving away your earnings to the wind is another.

MK should do a Jack White: Give your music an unlimited vinyl release for the people that actually want to hear it and press up super limited "fan editions" for the collectors.

22. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

thank you for the feedback, i picked it up yesterday and I'm enjoying its sound. it was the last copy at the record shop. the live tracks are great.

23. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Great news.

24. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

My locals were sold out by the afternoon but I bought a black vinyl copy from Amoeba online. Kudos to them for packing it well. I'm a bit disapointed as the first two tracks have a lot of scuffing which is odd for a poly sleeve. It's pretty bad though and causes a lot of reoccuring ticks at the spots you can see. Pretty dissapointing for such subtle music and I'd loved it digitially. I was pretty stoked to finally put it on my turntable then my mood came crashing down. It seems relatively flat and centered though. Here's hoping the other three sides are better than the first.

25. If it's damaged, let Amoeba know. I'm sure that they'll be happy to exchange it if they still have one on hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.