New table from U-Turn - Orbit Special

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhilBiker, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

At least on this one the pulley is in the rear of the table. On my Music Hall, my hipster beard always gets caught in the belt because the pulley is in the front.

/sadface

troggy, displayname, katstep and 9 others like this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Keep it in mind that the Basic was introduced first, and the cue lever was developed/introduced later in response to consumer demand.

Also, the Basic is a bare bones model - how else can they offer it for a mere $179? USA labor and space rental costs ain't cheap, especially around here.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Cool, I see that @Kate Koeppel got a bit of promo on the U-Turn site!
    Three American-made vinyl storage solutions »

Anyone reading a post on vinyl storage solutions is probably a little obsessive. And that’s okay. An organized life is a good one. Kate Koeppel gets it. Her sleek, customizable record dividers are a great solution for anyone trying to hyperorganize their collection.

Kate designs, cuts, engraves, and packages each of these suckers by hand. Every divider set takes 3-6 hours to produce, and each is as unique as your own record collection. The panels are made of high-grade European Birch, which is carefully sourced and inspected for quality and consistency. Even cooler - Koeppel Design only works with local California companies, so they really do have control over every element that goes into their products.

The dividers are highly customizable. There are solutions for organizing alphabetically and by genre (85+ genres available). If you are truly neurotic, you can even organize your records alphabetically by genre. You do you. But if you do that, and also make people take their shoes off, we aren’t coming over.

Available in many configurations, beginning at $33 via Koeppel Design.

BluTorch, Kate Koeppel and PhilBiker like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Can you pull it up into your man bun?

5. toddrhodes

Can't, my glasses are in the way :(

H8SLKC, Aftermath, PhilBiker and 3 others like this.
  6. There are also others which have a shield , like an Empire, so it must have been a good idea at one time. An exposed drive wouldn't meet OSHA standards. Besides, many turntables like this pictured Empire have real tone arms which use interchangeable headshells. I wouldn't buy a turntable that didn't. I have 4 or 5 headshells with different cartridges mounted in them and use the one that best suits what I am playing at the time.
    [​IMG]

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Is "OSHA approved" something I should start looking for when purchasing a new player?
    Maybe U-Turn sends a hard hat with the turntable.:D

BluTorch, troggy, krisbee and 6 others like this.
  8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yeh i have had one of these tables from the kickstarter 2+ years & NEVER got anything stuck in the belt .............. I just keep my Tongue 15 inches from the belt at all times :D

I like the look of the new wood options .....

PhilBiker and Vinyl Addict like this.
  9. Sure things can get caught . Am I the only one who ever got a long sleeve caught on a tone arm and destroyed a $200. stylus? An exposed belt drive is just asking for something to fall into the pulley area and get caught. I've been having to deal with OSHA standards for many years and if a turntable like that were used commercially and/or in a public place, you'd surely get a fine from OSHA.

10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Sure but a Table like that now would run $1200 + I have an Empire 598 & indeed the belt is covered , but the pulley is on the front & it's a MUCH nicer turntable ..........
    I never had a problem with my U-turn & the belt .......... and i always keep the dust cover on when not in use ..

H8SLKC likes this.
  11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I certainly get what you are saying , if it were in the front it would be much more of a problem ......

12. You've got an Empire 598 turntable and you bought a U-turn? WHY??????????? That would kind of like having a Pioneer PL 12D-II and replacing it with a wind-up Victrola!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Some of us do have multiple tables in play at any given time.

Aftermath, Davidmk5 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

One of my local record shops has been using one since day 1. He never mentions any OSHA fines.:shrug:

Even mentioning "OSHA" in the same sentence as a "record turntable" is just silly in my opinion. I've taken the OSHA classes too, and have the card to prove it somewhere.:righton:

H8SLKC and Davidmk5 like this.
  15. Yep. Me too! But I usually go up the ladder and not down it. It's nice having 3 different brands of turntables and being able to swap headshells.
    If I followed course going from an Empire to a U-turn, maybe my next step down would be getting that Crosley TT made for them by Project?

16. OSHA doesn't show up unless there is a reported accident or somebody files a complaint. I remember years ago when OSHA got called to a radio station because somebody got a shock. While they were there, they wrote them up for some other things while they were there. Come to think of it, I could see an open belt drive might get an ADA lawyer excited. They've sued for much more minor things.

17. toddrhodes

So the guy that keeps a "X Days Since Last Safety Incident" counter by his turntable is now lecturing people on best practices for owning multiple turntables. Maybe the U-turn is in more of a common area, susceptible to dust, children, or who knows what else that a "step up" would be a waste of resources. That's how it's going to be in my house - U-Turn (or something similar) will be for recreational/easy listening but I've got a small space to put something in a large room and a creative kid could figure out a way to get to it. I'm certainly not putting a VPI Prime in that position, it's not only overkill but potentially very stupid.

Subscribed to see what other nuggets of joy this thread delivers.

troggy, H8SLKC, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Just wanted to support a local company here in Mass. when they were doing the Kickstarter & give it a try as a turntable , i have 4 running tables .

19. toddrhodes

Jokes aside, this IS a great reason to buy a U-turn and is the main reason I'm looking in their direction instead of others.

20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have two friends that bough tables from them after checking mine out & another that may buy one soon , i even had a Problem with my platter at first & the customer service was A+++ they were on top of it the whole time & due to em being local they invited me to the Place to check out my table in person & fix it & let me check out where they build them , really nice people .

H8SLKC, matteos, pathguy and 2 others like this.
  21. Vinyl Addict

Did you go? Is it located right on Concord Rd in Wimington?

22. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

I recently bought a blue custom Orbit. I absolutely love it. The fact that it is made in USA with mostly USA parts was a huge plus for me. So far my only regret was not buying 1 sooner.

23. Vinyl Addict

If they were available in piano black, I would have bought the upgraded one when I was searching for a new table. Love the fact it is made with quality parts in USA (20 minutes from my house).

troggy and PhilBiker like this.
  24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

If i remember correct that sounds right (this was over 2 years ago) & i think they moved to a bigger place after i was there ?

Vinyl Addict and PhilBiker like this.
  25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Mine's in my office hooked up to my Scott Stereomaster 342 and my Boston Acoustic A60s because I'm proud of having three generations of made-here-in-Massachusetts components sitting here by my desk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.