New table from U-Turn - Orbit Special

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhilBiker, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Yeah, the exposed belt on my VPI Traveler is a veritable nightmare. Every time I play a record, I fear I might lose a finger. :cool:

Robert C, Davidmk5 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666 Thread Starter

Yes, and from what I've dug up on the internet they can't invite customers to the place any more. But they have a great virtual tour of their workshop on their web site.

All this hipster talk has me thirsty for a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

displayname and Davidmk5 like this.
  3. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Vinyl newbie here - for those of us unfamiliar with U-Turn, do these tables have any notable potential 'deal-breaker' issues associated with them? I'm talking about things like table speed not running quite at the correct pitch, weird hums, etc.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, don't dribble any record cleaning solutions.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I thought they were in Woburn?

6. action pact

None that I've heard about.

BlueTrane likes this.
  7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666 Thread Starter

Some do not like the original design with the unipivot arm with no anti-skate. They have designed a new gimballed arm with anti-skate so this is no longer an issue. Some do not like the short length on the original design tonearm, greatly limiting setup possibilities as far as achievable geometries. This also has been remedied in the new tonearm design. Another complaint has been that the counterweight on the original unipivot arm was not sufficient to balance heavier cartridges. You can probably guess where I'm going to go with this.... A new counterweight design on the redesigned arm has remedied this situation.

I can personally say the first U-Turn I actually saw and touched was at a Barnes and Noble and I was appalled at the "loosey-goosey" feel of the unipivot arm and the lack of a simple twist-type counterweight. I have a Shure stylus gauge so the counterweight isn't an issue for me. I have a basic U-turn on my Christmas list this year, and I'm very happy about every change they've made to the original design, not that the original design was bad. I expect the base turntable price to go up to $199 early next year. It's certainly worth it.

8. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

This guy gets off to trolling U-Turn, who cares what he has to say.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. How long does it take you to change the cartridge out for playing different types of records or to get a different sound? With my universal headshells, with different cartridges mounted in each, it takes me about 30 seconds to swap and re-balance. How long does it take you to changes speeds, and hopefully your hands are clean so as not to contaminate the belt? With 3 of my turntables, it's a touch of a button. What do you do to vary the speed or make sure it is correct? Oh, what's that you say? No built-in speed strobe? Don't tell me. It didn't come with a dust cover? Wow! I think that I could have put $1500. to better use. lol

10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Heaven help anyone that wanted info on the new U-Turn table, because all they're going to get is someone's superiority complex sprayed all over the thread.

11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Happy Thanksgiving to all members and trolls of SHtv!!! :cool:

[​IMG]

12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have never heard a Uturn but the new model sure looks great.

PhilBiker and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. Merrick

I've heard what I think was the Plus, a friend of mine got it as his first turntable. It's very good for an entry level table. This new one seems to have some worthy upgrades and I hope some people here take a chance on it and report back.

PhilBiker and Vinyl Addict like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Correct, Woburn.

I met the two cofounders on Vinyl Day at B & N (Burlington, MA) where they did a demo. Really nice guys and I too am rooting for this local company.

PhilBiker, Davidmk5 and action pact like this.
  15. action pact

How did I miss that event? :doh:

Davidmk5 likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There was a thread on here, but I don't think it was promoted too heavily.

Hopefully U-Turn will do more local events!

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

The plinth is actually made up of layers of wood like plywood to allow expansion/contraction without warping.

18. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

I'm going to correct my own post. The plinth is made of boards joined together, not layers like plywood. Read about it here: Introducing walnut and maple plinths ยป

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nice. hope it works out

20. Merrick

Anyone here try one of the wood plinth Orbits?

21. Joel S

Joel S Forum Resident

Although it looks great, the wood plinth may delaminate over time, rendering your turntable useless. A plywood plinth is probably more durable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.