New TV, Cable Looks Worse

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, May 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie Thread Starter

It's been so long since I've gone shopping for a TV and done any reading on them that I've really fallen behind.

But I went with my brother last week to help him pick out a new TV after the last one he had suffered an accident. We got a 4K Sony, inexpensive but rather nice. A definite upgrade from what he had before, which was a 1080p Samsung at around the same price, a few years ago.

Netflix and Amazon Video look excellent on the new TV. But the cable broadcast looks noticeably worse, partly due to what looks like motion blur. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Is it possible that an old cable box is a poor match for a TV with a higher resolution?

Thanks folks :cheers:

2. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

If you list the precise model, other members might have some insight

SBurke likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I'm sure yr going to get some advice about going into the settings and turning a buncha stuff off! I'd chk but right now I'm watching the game!;)

SBurke likes this.
  4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Check your TV picture settings for something like sports mode, cinema, vivid, etc.

SBurke and AKA like this.
  5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

And check the cable box’s video settings while you’re at it.

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Given that this issue is noticed with cable, there’s the possibility the box reset to standard definition. I’m wondering, though, if the culprit is Sony’s motion interpolation technology and the so-called soap opera effect.

SBurke, AKA and pdenny like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd check the motion interpolation setting and turn it off (if on).

SBurke likes this.
  8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Your TV is probably just showing you how bad cable looks.

make sure the "soap opera effect" stuff is turned off. On my TV it can be ON for some inputs and OFF on others - make sure it's off on all of them.

Also - if the new TV is bigger then cable will look worse - because the imperfections will be bigger. Think a small JPEG blow up to a larger size.

davidb1 likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's possible that the cable box settings are not optimized for the set.

On the LGs, I kill the following modes (except as noted):

Dynamic Contrast off
    Super Resolution off
    Color Gamut auto
    Edge Enhancer on
    Color Filter off
    NR off
    MPEG NR off
    Real Cinema off
    Motion Eye Care off
    TruMotion off

There are similar kinds of modes in the Sonys, and I would head over to the AVS Forum to see what the experts there advise. If there's a mode for Rec709, go for that, and if you can set gamma range, go for 2.4 (assuming a dark room) or 2.2 for a bright room. Color temp should generally be set to "warm" (6500°).

audiomixer and SBurke like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What if he's got a DVR (like a TiVO), instead of a cable box (like civilized people)? Because I'll pobably be dealing with that myself sooner than later...

11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for the replies and advice. I thought I'd have a chance to check out the TV this weekend but it didn't work out. I should have more info soon and will post then, as I know the suspense is killing everybody. :)

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

try on the remote "action menu" then picture>advance settings> Motion flow whichever setting you select here will change your problem into something else or fix it. I think Standard is the best compromise. There is one thing you should know. All these settings might be memorised individually for every input and type of signal so what you have set for a bluray player might not be applied when you are playing a lower resolution DVD or watching open air tv and so on so double check. Reading the manual can be helpful as I haven't done it in ages.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You might want to reconsider Real Cinema. The "on" setting allows for 5:5 repeating of 24fps material, no motion interpretation.

14. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

Also make sure of these:
    Tuned to the cable HD channels
    Paying for HD/or HD cable box

audiomixer likes this.
  15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've tried setting color temps to warm, but that setting just makes everything look too reddish-yellow. Black & white programs look like they're sepia-toned. I generally prefer the middle color temperature of "natural" or "neutral".

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hire an ISF or THX-certified calibration person and have them set it for Rec709, 6500°, BT1886. Black & white will look as close to real B&W as the panel consistency will allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.