New U2 Album in 2014 (Supposedly)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bubba-ho-tep, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Bono was on Letterman last week and stated that they wanted to make (And Complete) a great LP for their fans.

HAmmer likes this.
  3. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

U2 are the kings of Supposedly, but they have been working on this one for a few years already so at least it's plausible at this point.

I'm actually looking forward to their new album and hope they will offer the song outtakes in lossless.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

U2 are also the kings of waiting just long enough between albums that you start to miss them. I'm ready for something new.

vonwegen, HAmmer and howlinrock like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think they'll have something out next year. I'm actually somewhat surprised it's taken this long - even if the album comes out early in 2014, that's still five years since "No Line"! They've never gone more than the four years and change between "Atomic" and "No Line".

I suspect the extended 360 tour probably delayed the usual process somewhat. If it'd ended when it was supposed to finish in 2010, they might've reconvened more quickly. I suspect they'll want to tour behind a new album but wanted a decent break between tours...

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

And Spiderman.

7. Nikoline

Nikoline Forum Resident

Larry Mullen participates as an actor (!) in a norwegian film, and is going to Oslo, Norway for the opening night tomorrow. Norwegian paper VG states that he is coming directly from the studio, where he "works intencely on a new U2-album". :) Take a look, a nice picture of Larry and staring lady Juliette Binoche. :) http://www.vg.no/rampelys/artikkel.php?artid=10136092

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Rolling Stone posted their 5 star review on their website as soon as Bono was on Letterman's show and made the announcement.

9. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

This joke is getting so old.

MarkO, bferr1 and glenecho like this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

But not untrue. They gave 5-star reviews to the worst albums of both U2 and Springsteen's careers in the last 5 years. And given how both (under)-performed, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

11. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the day that they:

1) come into the studio with finished songs, instead of jamming a tune into a song
    2) dump Eno
    3) dump hard disk recording and hit the tape again
    4) record just the 4 of them. No sequencers, no click tracks
    5) incorporate acoustic instruments again.

that would make me VERY happy.:cool:

Machiventa and LarsO like this.
  12. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

This is a much better thread title than the one about horrible news and Danger Mouse. Maybe this thread can last until the actual album.

13. ServingTheMusic

Which horrible news?

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Well, for the new album they recorded it with Danger Mouse.

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

No it's not. There way too much U2 a** kissing for the crappy albums they've been putting out the last 10 years.

16. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. But I think it tells more about writers hatred against U2 than RS. And I think it's unfair. And I'm so bored about it. Every time there's any news about possible new U2 album, these kind of jokes start flooding the thread.

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Folks, it's U2's best album

:rolleyes:

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

actual Rolling Stone reviews:

Achtung Baby - 4 1/2 stars
    Zooropa - 4 stars
    Pop - 4 stars
    All That You Can't Leave Behind - 4 stars
    How to Dimantle an Atomic Bomb- 4 stars
    No Line on the Horizon - 5 stars

19. malcolm reynolds

OK, I stand corrected. Although only the first two deserve anything over a two and a half.

danielbravo likes this.
  20. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

In your opinion.

21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Only Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind deserve 5 stars, but loving/hating U2 is a disputatious thang....

wavethatflag likes this.
  22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

All That You Can't Leave Behind has grown on me over the years. There are some very well written and classic songs on that album. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb... Hasn't grown on me at all. The album seems clunky and the flow is weird. I don't know if it was from them trying too hard to write a good album with good singles, or the fact that there are 6 producers on that album.

No Line on The Horizon I feel is underrated.

23. malcolm reynolds

I don't hate U2. They are like Radiohead for me. I love the first part of their output and then they went to crap, IMO. No Line On The Horizon is so bad that I was actually offended that I was charged money for it and couldn't get a refund.

danielbravo, phoenixhwy1982 and J_D__ like this.
  24. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

As far as I remember, at least since Pop ALL U2 albums were "reviewed" with 5 stars, later down to 4. And let's not forget the cliched 'Best U2 album since Achtung Baby', 'U2's third masterpiece', etc

RS Magazine is the semi official fan club of U2, Springsteen, Dylan, REM and Stones

25. ServingTheMusic

oh well, 44.1/24 bit pro tools. For the record, I do like Danger Mouse.

I think it is time however, for U2 to do a "documentation" style recording, and forget the sound scaping and digital mash ups for one album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.