New U2 Album Next Month with No Fanfare

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eyesoftheworld, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyesoftheworld

Eyesoftheworld Active Member Thread Starter

2. Eyesoftheworld

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think this is the best idea. Big marketing pushes for older acts don't work anyways, so why not just do the opposite and see what happens?

4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

they are through... last good album was Joshua Tree. I never liked POP. The Edge can't play guitar without Wah Wah effects... I hate Bono's preachiness...blah blah blah.

I hope I beat some of the naysayers to this thread... I think I covered it for them all....

VQR, analog74, teebo911 and 26 others like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, they rushed it alright!

6. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

7. Eyesoftheworld

They recorded three albums and scrapped them all. This was the fourth stab. It has 18 producers.

Pop took 5 years and was rushed.

8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm sorry to say this but........yawn. Wasn't the last great U2 record "Actung Baby"??

John Murray, DrBeatle, karlm and 5 others like this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

Sorry, but that reeks of desperation.

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I hate when the release date of long-awaited albums is announced many months in advance. You get hopped up for an album in January that you won't hear until November. It's anti-climactic . It's also annoying when bands give you constant updates of their "progress" and say things like " We're 30% done...with the writing. We expect to start recording by Christmas." Finally, I hate when they self-review their own albums.." This sounds like (insert one of band's previous releases...." Foo Fighters recently did that, and so did Tom Petty, who said his recent album Hypnotic Eye would sound like the band's first couple of albums. Now, I happen to think Hypnotic Eye is one of the best things he's ever done...but it sounds nothing like his first few albums. He pulled this with his previous album , Mojo, predicting it would sound like the " Allmans..." Or something, I forget exactly what. That was true of one or two tracks on the album; the rest of that disappointing album, was standard fare...I guess I'm old fashioned, but I would prefer something along the lines of --"We have a new album coming out in two/three weeks, and here's the first single!" Wham.Bam. And don't tell us what it sounds like. You record, we'll decide....

11. zen

zen Senior Member

This would be funny, if it wasn't so true.

12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Zooropa and Pop, while not as strong as AB, in my opinion were very sonically interesting records. I loved how daring they were venturing into that strange electronic territory. I listen to Pop more than I do any album they have released from the new millenium

pearle, Bryce, Tuco and 14 others like this.
  13. Eyesoftheworld

They got Adele's producer in the Studio in hopes of creating a hit single. That was the last delay.

If Eno was involved I would be excited. As a U2 fan I am a bit scared of this. At least it does not sound like Bono will be making statements that this is their best album yet. It's a rushed excuse to go on tour where the big bucks are.

14. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Nope, that was No Line On The Horizon. But kudos for trying, including the obligatory misspelling. :wave:

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have not followed, so I don't know what's been happening. but I thought that the first two tracks from Danger Mouse were not spectacular, but still very good - "Ordinary Love" and "Invisible". They weren't chart hits, but that won't happen at this stage of their career. Have they moved away from Danger Mouse?

No Line On The Horizon was probably their weakest record, but still had some great tracks. "Moment of Surrender" just blew me away. I'm interested.

16. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Zooropa is especially fine in my opinion. You have to crank it up, but the dynamic range is excellent and it really is an excellent production.

Pop I like too, but not as much as Zooropa. But after that there CDs are way too compressed. And that is a shame because I think they are all decent songs.

17. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I like to know if Paul Epworth is the new Rick Rubin. So let this Album come.

18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

"No fanfare"? I've been hearing about a new U2 album since five minutes after the last one came out.

19. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Oh sh** at least if I'm going to bash something I guess I should at least spell the title correctly.

Eyesoftheworld likes this.
  20. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

No, that was all foreplay... ;)

21. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Please note that the story doesn't say there will be an album next month. It says "maybe this year, possibly even next month."

22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Anyone know if Lillywhite had any involvement? They bring him in as a kind of closing pitcher from time to time.

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Radiohead did it with 'In Rainbows' and it worked :righton:

whisper3978 and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. Eyesoftheworld

It says Single out in September and Album out in September or October.

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, it says there were twitters to that effect, but nothing official.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.