New Yamaha Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by der, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. der

der Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just put my new Yamaha A-S701 amplifier in service. Provides 220 wpc at 4 ohms to my AR3a. I am impressed. Not sure why I waited. I've been thinking of purchasing this amp for a while. Like getting a new system.

Shawn, Helom, thetman and 5 others like this.
  2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

160 watts per channel, RMS, continuous at 4 ohms nominal load for the A-S701. The 220 wpc figure is the maximum dynamic peak at 4 ohms.

It’s a superb integrated amp. The luscious AR3A speakers are an easy load for the Yamaha. It has to be a great sounding match.

der and ThorensSme like this.
  3. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Welcome to the family. :righton:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Actually, the Yamaha A-S801 (same as the 701, but adds a DAC) measures higher than the specs. Just one more great thing about the A-S701/A-S801 amps. From audioholics:

"For 8 ohms, two channels driven, output was around 105 watts/channel and 185 watts/channel for 4 ohms under 0.01% THD+N (well below clipping)."

Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier Measurements and Analysis

Helom, Press, BuddhaBob and 3 others like this.
  5. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

A-S701: Beautiful instrument. :agree: Congratulations!

der and George P like this.
  6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

. . . yet another reason why the A-S series has been such a great choice for so many people.

7. der

It's just wonderful with the AR3a. I have a NEW music collection now.

irender, timind, ThorensSme and 3 others like this.
  8. der

I've been debating this purchase for over a year. Can't believe I waited so long.

9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

congrats. you'll defintley enjoy the 701. I bought a 801 about 7 months ago and have really enjoyed it for cd/sacd playback. recently adding a turntable just made it that much better.
    happy listening:D

der likes this.
  10. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

In addition to its highly developed commutations possibilities, its very low (not “champion’s”, but excellent for the actual amps market) THD and excellent damping factor, the “Yamaha A-S701” has kept its REAL “Continuously Variable Loudness Control” (for listening at SPL levels lower than “natural”), almost unique nowadays (existing, for example, in rare “Accuphase” models, even not continuously variable, but for three steps as in the “Accuphase C-3800” (“Loudness compensator with three selectable characteristics”:
    http://www.accuphase.com/cat/c-3800_e.pdf
    ).

The function no more existing in the “Yamaha A-S701”, rapidly disappearing from modern integrateds models, what I regret, it’s the incorporated monitoring function.

The feature absolutely necessary for me and which I have beginning with my first audio system, allowing to insert directly any audio processor into a system, keeping at the same time the possibility of selecting “sources” on the integrated from its remote control.

der likes this.
  11. der

The end of the tape deck seems to have had a negative effect on the tape monitor function. It has been over 30 years since I had a reel to reel deck. I owned a cassette deck for a short time after that but never cared for that format. I've never used any signal processor so it's a moot point to me. But, I can see where it could be missed and you are not the first person I've heard bemoan the fact that it's rarely included today.

12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I recently purchased a demo unit of a Rotel integrated amp, which does not have REC out/in jacks. I knew this going in, so will be running cables directly from source components into the CD recorder. That's a fall project though, so I can spend the summer outdoors.

13. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The deplorable “negative effect” was the fact to denominate the “MONITOR" function “TAPE MONITOR” function. Excluding, from the mentality of millions of users for several decades, the fact that monitoring a three-head tape deck is only one of multiple possible other useful applications of the feature: direct inserting into the system of equalizers, compressors, expanders, enhancers, external filters, mixers etc.

Besides the monitoring of my three-head tape deck, when I had it, graphic equalizers always allowed me to manage, within my powers sure, practically the whole audible frequency range in the system.

Correcting the final frequency response of the speakers combined with the acoustical reaction of the room and the directional diagram of the speakers; and correcting, to some degree, possible spectral defects of sound material sent to the system’s inputs.

All this, sure, for those who are interested in all this. But what a mass of questions on audio forums “Help! How to be able to use an equalizer with my integrated without “tape loop”?”

Such “indirect” possibilities exist in some integrateds models having “REC OUT” selector, but depriving the user of the possibility to select “sources” from the remote control.

In many cases, the only way to allow of possibility to use an equalizer with integrateds without “tape loop”, is the insertion into the system of an equalizer having its own input selector, or an external input selector before the EQ, the two modes require “phono stages” for magnetic cartridges to be connected to an EQ.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    The Pinhead likes this.
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

According who you ask, it has or doesn't have that function. I have 3 signal processors daisy-chained, in the signal path, via one of the TWO tape monitor on my vintage receiver. They can be used individually, or combined in any possible configuration. Without an IN/OUT of some sort, I'd be screwed, so, will I be able to replace my vintage unit with aa Yamaha one when mine dies ? Outlaw is not available in my country.

15. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Been eyeing the 701 and 801 for a while now. On my short list for when my Onkyo 8050 dies out. Really dig the sound and build quality of the Yamahas, and my wife likes the silver option.

16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

No tape monitor or processor loop on those Yamahas. Sorry. 4 year owner of an A-S801 here. I dont really care about those features, I dont use either tape or processors, but I wouldnt mind a mono switch.

BuddhaBob and The Pinhead like this.
  17. The Pinhead

Indeed; I was just on the phone with a Yamaha rep and he confirmed it.

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

From looking at the back of the 801, I do see REC OUT jacks that should presumably have a matching set of LINE IN. Perhaps my terminology is incorrect, but isn’t that what some of the other posters are looking for?

19. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Thats not a tape monitor circuit. A monitor circuit allowed you to hear the feed off the tape deck regardless of the source selected.

cdash99 likes this.
  20. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Not only “the feed off the tape deck”:

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I forgot about that feature. It’s difficult enough to find an amp with REC IN/OUT jacks.

22. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

The fact to have REC IN/OUT jacks on an integrated doesn’t mean automatically the presence of real internal monitoring function.

The real MONITOR circuit is usually designated by “TAPE MONITOR”, “MONITOR”, “PROCESSOR MONITOR”, “ADAPTOR” buttons or similar, or “TAPE-SOURCE” switch on amps’ front panels, with their respective terminals on amps’ rear or front panels.

23. The Pinhead

I think Yamaha should at least have included one PRE IN/OUT for that purpose.

tineardrum likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

It wouldn't be so bad if I only used CDs, but with the TT, I'd have to listen to records with an external phono pre, since using the one that's built in in the amp would not allow for an eq in the loop.

25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Curious, why do you need an equalizer to play records? I use an external phono pre, but I run a lomc cartridge and the internal is mm only.

der likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.