New York Times slammed Abbey Road in 1969.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychsound, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yup!!!

2. Love Nowhere Nan but it really doesn't fit into the woodsy folksy sound of the American Rubber Soul

chacha likes this.
  3. 905

905 Senior Member

Right, Nowhere Man is perfect on Rubber Soul's electric sibling Yesterday and Today.

chacha likes this.
  4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Of those two I prefer I've Just Seen A Face. But it doesn't need to be on Help because it's perfectly situated as the opening track on Rubber Soul.

notesfrom and 905 like this.
  5. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

re: Rubber Soul

I guess I'm in the minority... I heard the US version first in the '70s, but I quickly preferred the original UK version once I got a hold of it as an import.

An LP titled Rubber Soul that kicked off with "Drive My Car" made much more sense to my little mind!

Yosi and theMess like this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I will take the US RS over the UK and will take Y&T over any other 60s Beatles album (though not over R&RM).

7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Makes sense. Why enjoy a track you prefer four months earlier? Capitol was just waiting to release it here where it could be a perfect opening track. Plus, those Help soundtrack incidental music tracks rock. I pity our friends in England who never had the pleasure of buying Fifth Beatle Ken Thorne's sonic masterpieces. Surprised they didn't come out on an EP.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

No. You seem to be unaware that The Beatles had records issued on labels other than Capitol. A Hard Day's Night was the title track of the film and kicked-off the United Artists soundtrack album in 1964. It was not a 7-inch rarity by any stretch. I Should Have Known Better opened Side Two of that album, but for some reason that song and Can't Buy Me Love also fell under Capitol's contractual purview and both tunes were glommed-onto the absurdly messy Hey Jude album. A Hard Day's Night and Something New were more or less concurrent releases and featured all the AHDN songs except for I'll Be Back, which was on Beatles '65 (at the end of 1964).

This album on VJ was in every Beatles fan's collection:
    [​IMG]
    I Saw Her Standing There
    Misery
    Anna (Go to Him)
    Chains
    Boys
    Love Me Do

P.S. I Love You
    Baby It's You
    Do You Want to Know a Secret
    A Taste of Honey
    There's a Place
    Twist and Shout

Love Me Do and P.S. I Love You were later replaced by Ask Me Why and Please Please Me due to legal issues.

When that Please, Please Me material was acquired by Capitol and most of it reissued as The Early Beatles a few tracks got dropped to limit publishing royalties (or whatever Capitol's business strategy was).

Like I said, I'm Down and The Inner Light were coveted 45-only nuggets. I guess From Me To You was also a single only and a couple other early recordings were not readily available to consumers on LP by the end of the decade. The German language stuff was of no consequence.

Not that there was anything wrong with playing 45's back then, or playing them now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    jeatleboe likes this.
  9. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

jeatleboe likes this.
  10. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Had that one, too . . . featured a screaming vocal by the guy who was unrecognizable when he did the same thing four years later.

Skywheel and Guy E like this.
  11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Think for Yourself" isn't folky ,with loud electric guitars and Drums ,would fit on Revolver ,"The Word" isn't folk either "Nowhere Man "fits in fine with those songs and "Drive My Car"
    and better than on a Lp with songs from Help, Rubber Soul, and Revolver

12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Just to keep the record straight, I felt like I'd been totally ripped-off by Capitol when the imported Parlophone versions became available to me at The Record Co-op in my University town in the early-70's. I had no idea everything had been edited and rejigged for American consumption.

But one can only hold a grudge for so long. :cool:

13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I'm fully aware, my post was edited a few times and the use of American was chosen over Capitol when I was including the Apple album Hey Jude in my list. Then I re-edited it but left off 'Capitol'. So it looks like I've never heard of the VJ, UA albums, but I have them (all), don't panic.

theMess likes this.
  14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

What makes me panic is the thought that someone in Liverpool would want all those butchered things! ;)

theMess, nikh33 and Bill like this.
  15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

The Beatles did not sequence their albums.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  16. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

this is brilliant! thanks for posting... loved that he called it a "unmitigated disaster." LOL do you think he regrets writing this?

17. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

And just think how long it took certain songs already featured on US albums of the '60s to get onto an LP in the UK .. (RARITIES, 1980) :

Yes It Is
    This Boy
    I'll Get You
    Thank You Girl
    Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand
    Rain
    She's A Woman
    Matchbox
    I Call Your Name
    Slow Down
    Long Tall Sally

18. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm going by John Lennon saying they put work into the sequencing too, when he was on WNEW Radio in 1974. True or not, who knows? But that's what John said.

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He did say that, and John and Paul certainly sequenced the White Album.

theMess and jeatleboe like this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

They didn't regularly sequence the albums.

905 likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Long Tall Sally and Slow Down were on Rock and Roll Music in 1976, which Parlophone released in the UK.

22. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Why worry about "four months earlier" when it's now almost fifty years later? Anyway I suppose they made up for it by giving us three Revolver tracks early. :)

Of course Capitol wasn't waiting to release it as an opening track. What they did was turn the UK Help LP into a real soundtrack LP for the US. A lot of people, myself included, like soundtrack albums. There's no need for the incidental music to "rock", only for it to evoke the film, which I think it does. I think opening with the so-called "James Bond Intro" into the title track works beautifully no matter whose idea it was. And the "leftover" Help tracks helped give us two more great US LPs. So I own the UK releases, put I prefer listening to the US Help, Rubber Soul, and Yesterday and Today.

905 likes this.
  23. I just gave my 'Abbey Road' LP a spin & this reviewer can eat my sandwich. This album gets better everytime I listen to it.

goat65cars and jeatleboe like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The movie was good....right up until the moment "Tony Manero" fell in love with that boring, lifeless Karen Lynn-Gormey character.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Makes no difference to me... I'd rather they didn't. That way, I don't have to hear Capitol-bashers say: "--- but that's not the way The Beatles wanted the songs!" :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.