Next Diana Krall Album Headed for Surround SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoura, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member Thread Starter

FYI, the new Universal Music SACD Release list shows 14 new titles in the months ahead. Included on the list are the upcoming Diana Krall album (The Girl In The Other Room), her earlier Love Scenes album, the Wallflowers' Red Letter Days album and several others.

Check the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11748902 for more details.

2. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I am definitely looking forward to the one from, um, Mrs. Costello...here is some more info on it, sorry if this is a re-post.

'The Girl in the Other Room,' the first album by acclaimed artist Diana Krall to feature her original compositions, will be released April 27, 2004, by Verve Records. The record, Krall's eighth, includes six songs co-written by Krall and Elvis Costello.

In addition, Krall offers her interpretations of Mose Allison's "Stop this World," Tom Waits' "Temptation," Joni Mitchell's "Black Crow," and Costello's "Almost Blue," along with "Love Me Like a Man" (made popular by Bonnie Raitt) and "I'm Pulling Through" (made popular by Billie Holiday). "Temptation" will be released in March as the album's first single.

'The Girl in the Other Room' was co-produced by Krall and three-time Grammy winner Tommy LiPuma. Musicians Anthony Wilson (guitar), Christian McBride (bass), John Clayton (bass), Peter Erskine (drums), Jeff Hamilton (drums), and Terry Lyne Carrington (drums) back Krall's piano and vocals.

Diana Krall - 'The Girl in the Other Room' track listing:
    1. "Stop This World" (Mose Allison)
    2. "The Girl in the Other Room" (music and lyrics by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello)
    3. "Temptation" (Tom Waits)
    4. "Almost Blue" (Elvis Costello)
    5. "I've Changed My Address" (music by Diana Krall, lyrics by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello)
    6. "Love Me Like a Man" (Smither)
    7. "I'm Pulling Through" (Herzog)
    8. "Black Crow" (Joni Mitchell)
    9. "Narrow Daylight" (music by Diana Krall, lyrics by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello)
    10. "Abandoned Masquerade" (music by Diana Krall, lyrics by Elvis Costello)
    11. "I'm Coming Through" (music by Diana Krall, lyrics by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello)
    12. "Departure Bay" (music by Diana Krall, lyrics by Diana Krall and Elvis Costello)

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks Brian....now where's that new Norah Jones SACD!:realmad:

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

An HTF member contacted Blue Note and was told that the last Norah SACD did not sell well and that there are no current plans for the new album on SACD.

5. Boje

Boje New Member

It's going to be hard to follow her first album. The new one could be dull as dishwater.

6. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

It woill be very difficult to top her first release. Of course, music history is full of artists who had a less than successful second release.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Not a shabby list of drummers! :)

8. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Simple answer - do it as a hybrid!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Remember, EMI is a DVD-A lovin' company.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, what's the problemo?:confused:

You know, if the labels just pulled a Stones--just put it out that way and no other--they could solve a lot of problems. Sony should do that, too: just make the one edition of SACD 5.1/SACD 2.0/CD 2.0....and price it decently, like the Stones SACD's were, problem solved!

Why is this so hard for suits to understand....:sigh: Everybody's happy, and everybody has the same edition. And down the road, the chance to move up to the hi-rez if they want...and ignore it.

ED:ed:

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Well, the ''Come Away With Me'' SACD is a hybrid. But like most hybrids, it is not single inventory.

I'd love to see more single-inventory releases, but they probably cut into profits too much. The Norah Jones CD surely still sells a LOT more than the SACD, to this very day. Of course, like any multiple-inventory SACD, the actual sales numbers are a deep dark secret, but check out the Amazon sales rank for each disc.

If the vast majority of your buyers are buying for the CD layer, releasing the SACD separately could easily be the smart choice...go for the maximum margin on the high-volume Redbook-only disc.

Of course Sony wants to build awareness for the format, so they'll release certain high-profile titles in single-inventory, and even subsidize a few titles that they don't control (like DSotM). I'm all for it (though I don't pretend that it means that high-res is taking off when the titles sell well), and I'm hoping Warner does the same thing with these new flipper DVD-A discs.

But I wouldn't go expecting single-inventory to become standard practice in the near future...especially from labels that don't have a vested interest in the success of a high-res format. And even those that do have a vested interest will probably leverage their investment carefully, focusing on certain high-profile releases that target the demographic groups that are likely to buy into a new format.

12. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, and the rest of the backing group is top notch as well. It should be a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.