Next gen format wars, price an issue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

"Hybrid"

"Multichannel"

"High Resolution"

Those are just some of the buzzwords surrounding the current format war between DVD-A and SACD. I'm sure that most everyone here has purchaed at least one title from both formats.

Do you think that price will have any factor on which format becomes "standard"? Of course that's assuming that eventually one format will fizzle out, which may not happen.

I picked up Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" DVD-A on the day it came out. Shockingly, it was actually on Tower's new release rack, instead of being placed in the back of the store with the rest of the DVD-A titles.

Most record stores discount new releases by a couple of dollars the first week the title is out. This was not the case with this particular DVD-A title. In fact, it was priced pretty high (as were the rest of the DVD-A titles).

The only SACD's I picked up have been The Rolling Stones hybrid discs (Beggar's banquet, Hot Rocks, Let it Bleed) and hybrid DSOTM (a cracked disc I'm afraid). Both titles were prominently featured and on sale! The record stores that I've been in treat SACD as they would a regular new releases. DVD-A, on the other hand is treated as something else, a specialty product almost.

Now this is just my experience, some of you may have had better luck in your next-gen purchases. How often is price a factor to you?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Price is very important to me, and the success of any new format.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

New formats anger me more than excite me! I'm sticking to Cee Dee and SACD...and DVD...DVD-A...lol!

4. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I'll shop around, but I'll pay whatever's necessary if I "need" the disc...and believe me, I am not wealthy. Music comes before even food for me.

Examples are: buying 3 copies of DSOTM before I could be happy, or buying the CCR SACDs, which ain't cheap.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, I''ve never let the price of any disc I wanted scare me away from purchasing it. Luckily for me though, all my Pink Floyd MoFis were bought back when they were on the store shelves.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree with ya...unless you got kids to feed...When I was single years ago during my vinyl days, I was a maniac!
    I've calmed down a lot with the family way and coming of the Cee Dee...Sometimes a CDR will fix the fix until the real deal comes around.

6. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I'm sticking with my good ol' 78s! Who cares if those cactus needles keep getting harder and harder to find?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.