Next XTC Steven Wilson 5.1 remix - BLACK SEA

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Phil Tate, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

Mike Dow, FVDnz, Frank Field and 3 others like this.
  2. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident

Burning Shed:
    - Instrumental versions (mixed by Steven Wilson), and several bonus mixes in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio.

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Looks like I need to start buying these sets so I know what I'm talking about!

Have the Homo Safari songs made it onto these sets yet?

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Preordered! Total including shipping to NC is $24.35. :righton:

5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Where do US members typically buy (near issue date)?

6. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Thanks @GreggF .

I saw that when I pre-ordered just before coming on here. I figured instrumentals had to be included, because
    "...why stop there?" :laugh:

7. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Yes, in SW stereo and glorious 5.1 mixes. Though I do not remember on which of the released albums... Drums and Wires?

8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I always buy them from Burning Shed. They have excellent customer service and their prices are great. Plus you get the post card with preorder! Others will order from Amazon, but the Burning Shed customers usually get their orders first.

pcain, fallbreaks, DaverJ and 3 others like this.
  9. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

PhoffiFozz and sennj like this.
  10. jsayers

Like I said, my preorder was $24.35 this morning from Burning Shed, plus I get the signed postcard to go along with the other three that I have. Sure, you can order this from Amazon, Importcds. Bull Moose, Deep Discount, Ebay or wherever around or after release date but I can't see you getting it much cheaper or quicker, so what's the point of waiting? :shrug:

jh901 likes this.
  11. jsayers

ted321 and jamesc like this.
  12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Just placed my order. Bring it on!!!! :)

So, no details as yet with regards to additional material. Can only say it's safe to assume that Don't Lose Your Temper, Smokeless Zone and The Somnambulist will all be included. Looking forward to more surprises. And it would be nice if they can locate the multi-tracks for Life Begins at the Hop eventually. Sure, it wouldn't belong on this reissue but where else would you want to include it? ;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  13. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I've always ordered from them as they will get their cut directly. Support the band members as direct as possible.

ad180, sacsongs, jh901 and 1 other person like this.
  14. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I ordered from Burning Shed. Without the VAT, it's likely to be equivalent to Amazon's price, but it also includes the signed postcard.

15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I also support Burning Shed. Customer support is excellent, and I assume they take care of the label/artists better than Amazon. No issues with oversea to US shipment of around a dozen orders, including vinyl, CDs, BD/DVDs, and downloads.

Prices are good, sometimes better than Amazon - the only added cost is the shipping versus Amazon Prime, but I don't have to pay tax from Burning Shed.

pcain, ted321 and FVDnz like this.
  16. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I will be purchasing this too, but, wish it were a full LP's worth of material. EPs feel like they're just not trying hard enough.

17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I don't use Amazon anymore as I choose never to give Jeff Bezos any of my money. With that said, I too support Burning Shed - and have done so since their inception. :)

ted321 likes this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Only No. 1 & 2 so far; on the 'Drums And Wires' BluRay.

5&6 are bonus tracks on the 'Mummer' CD - hopefully we'll get a BluRay of that one day.

3&4 are currently only on CD as part of the 'Dear God' single. Maybe they'll include them on a possible 'Big Express' BluRay?

19. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I respect your perspective, but with regard to EPs, for me it's different. I have noticed what seems to be more "EP length" releases in the last few years, perhaps as a response to the extra-long (60+ minutes) of the Compact Disc era, and/or response to shorter attention spans and the emergence of single-song pop music era.

One example comes to mind in particular: a post-Silkworm project by Tim Midgett called Mint Mile, who so far has only released a couple of EPs.

Mint Mile :
    "We like four-song EPs because we cannot bury a song in the middle of Side B. Nothing is transitional. Everything either leads off or finishes an experience."

I'm also reminded of the recent Chavez EP, Cockfighters. About 9 minutes long (three songs), but I've played those three songs over and over, probably at least a hundred times by now, and I don't feel anything is lacking in the three songs themselves. I'd rather have those three songs today, than for Chavez to wait another 20 years to gradually create and record a "full length album" worth of materials that they release all at once. Ideally, every few years we'd get another new EP of strong material from Chavez.

Back to TC&I, if we get a few well-crafted songs as an EP, that I can play over and over again and discover little nuances to appreciate across dozens of listens, I'll be more thrilled by that experience than by a "padded out" full-length that I listen to a few times, but get distracted by because half the songs are not as strong as the rest....

Craig.

Plan9 and jamesc like this.
  20. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

- Three Andy Partridge demos from Phonogram studios.
    - Three Andy Partridge demos from Swindon Town Hall.

...we've had "Pearl", "Monkeys In Humanskin Suits", and "Holding The Baby" , but from Polygram Studios, June 1980. wonder what the new goodies will be. kinda bummed the Black Sea run through from that session isnt here. only place to hear some of the tunes being played that were not played on tour, unless that is what is meant by:

- Many album tracks in demo form as recorded (mostly live) at Phonogram Studios prior to the main album sessions.

then its my wager Phonogram is a typo of sorts? Even the Chronology Book lists Polygram.

21. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Hope they dug up the Colin solo session...but I doubt it. "Cheap Perfume" is a fun tune.

22. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

23. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

sorry to go off topic a bit but was the oranges and lemons blu ray debacle ever solved? I know they made it so future releases worked cause skylarking worked fine. so I am not really worried about this one just mad that I still have a blu ray that I cannot play.

24. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I stopped waiting for it to get solved. I bought a new Blu-Ray player to replace my old Sony. It was not just XTC Oranges and Lemons; there were quite a few newer Blu-Ray discs that the Sony player wouldn't play.

I had kept watching the thread that was tracking resolution, and as far as I know, Sony and other affected manufacturers never fixed the problem. The experience has sworn me off Sony equipment.

Craig.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x Thread Starter

No, they've given up on it - it now says this on the listing on burningshed:

"Unfortunately the Sony engineers have been unable to resolve the firmware issue with this particular bluray disc. Only PS3 and one or two other players from the same generation are affected. PS4 is not affected and plays the disc perfectly."

DaverJ and ermylaw like this.