NFL Films in HD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

The introduction of HD has peaked my curiosity as to how NFL Films will deal with the change...a couple of concerns come to mind.

First of all, are their game films now being shot in the widescreen format? All current NFL Films productions are widescreen and I wonder if they changed film formats (from 16mm) or do they just crop the full screen image.

Secondly, converting to HD is going to be a nightmare when it comes to their library. All of their productions since around 1980 have been finished on video, so they can't just retransfer, they would have to go back to the original camera footage and piece them together from scratch. Other than Super Bowl highlight films, I can't see them justifying that expense. Interesting how their '60s and '70's productions can be upgraded to HD a lot easier than the stuff that's come since...much like the situation with "Star Trek" and "The Next Generation".

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

They still shoot on film apparently. This Wiki article is interesting:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Films

This answers at least part of your question:
    I never knew they had their own labs! Very cool.

dan c

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

I'm a bit wary of that passage, are they really going to rebuild the 1986 Buffalo Bills highlight film from scratch (it was finished on video)? I hope I'm wrong.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

In terms of music and visuals/action, this is a great compilation, IMO:

905 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.