Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / Official Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ghostalking, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostalking

ghostalking Member Thread Starter

After seeing in the last couple of years almost all of its 15 studio albums bootlegged, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds are finally getting an official vinyl reissue? Mute site says yes, at least for three titles in the coming October http://www.mutebank.co.uk/mutebank/Nick-Cave-The-Bad-Seeds-Vinyl-Editions/

The list of pirate / unofficial releases from the catalogue is as pictured:
    [​IMG]
    and the reissues seem to be on titles that have not yet been bootlegged, wich is a bit strange, anyway, is there any more info on these reissues?

Are they just represses?
    Remastered / Repackaged LPs?

cheers,

Robert C and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  2. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

A strange selection for sure. Having said that, Nocturama is the only reissue I'd be interested in as it's the only one I don't have on vinyl due to the original pressing (or the three I had at any rate) being awful. It'd need to come down in price though - £22 is too much for me to spend on an album that isn't that good!

canine sapien likes this.
  3. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Well, I was hoping for a bit more from this announcement. I have some of the boots that I picked up in Europe last year and they sound "ok" but not great. I would love legit represses of Let Love > Murder > Boatman ! I have an original Dig Lazarus Dig LP and it sounds awesome. However, the (arguably) best song on the album, More News From Nowhere is on its own 45 and split over two sides since it is 8-9min long which doesn't exactly make it an ideal listen. I wonder if the new release will mirror this? Would it have killed them just to press this as a 2LP set?

Drexler_McStyles likes this.
  4. davidp71

davidp71 Callipygian Pilgarlic

At last!
    I'm just hoping this signifies a full vinyl reissue campaign of the entire back catalogue - I would chew my own arm off for sensibly priced copies of every release from Tender Prey onwards (and will probably go with the first four as well just to complete the set).
    Agree that this is a rather strange selection with which to launch the series though.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Nocturna is still available on Amazon.ca. So that's a weird selection. Abattoir/Orpheus would be my pick of the litter. I have a pirate pressing of Murder Ballads that sounds like crap. It's amazing how much Dig Lazarus Dig goes for on eBay.

6. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

This is good news! I need Murder Ballads and Let Love In to complete my Nick Cave collection. Here's hoping they do those eventually.

7. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

I have all the early bad seeds but always wanted an abbatoir blues/lyre. Very curious because of the reported all analog recording. Good news on a good day as I get to enjoy an evening with nick cave tonight in NYC!!!!

8. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Is 3/10/2014 October 3, 2014..?

9. Yes Europe and the rest does day month year in the real order of things.

Mazda, Micke Lindahl and dAlost like this.
  10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Good news and I have already been waiting for any news of the reissues as similar campaign
    from Depeche Mode reached its final release batch just some time ago.

Well, I do hope that they will reissue all the albums on good sounding vinyl,
    so that I can gladly buy them all then.
    I haven't bought any overpriced editions from discogs/ebay and can't stand the sight of some
    counterfeit copies being sold on record-fairies, so hopefully this will be full reissue campaign after all.
    I could have bought every NC&TBS-vinyl easily from discogs but now it comes handy that can actually get brand-new pressings and I truly hope they will be done with good care.

Will have follow this closely as further details and reviews of the releases come forth.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Are they having a joke with this selection? Cave has made fun of "Nocturama" before. But then again the one PJ Harvey album Island repressed a couple of years ago was.... "Four Track Demos"?! Must be something in the water;)

12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Oh, perhaps it's time I sold my LP copy of Abattoir Blues. How much are they going for at the moment?

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, as the first 3 it seems this campaign will be treated similar to Depeche Mode reissues were, as non-chronological order which is fine but hope there will be more than these 3 anyways.

14. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,to split 'Nowhere' over two sides of a 45 was absolutely ridiculous. The re-issue will be pressed on 2 LPs so i guess Mute will finally correct this nonsense this time.

15. ghostalking

ghostalking Member Thread Starter

From the information (or lack of it from the time being) it's quite hard to figure out how these reissues will be.
    All three scheduled albums had sort of odd vinyl releases: "Your Funeral..." being a double 12" (plays at 45rpm), "Nocturama" being a 3 sided LP (one side is blank) and "Dig, Lazarus Dig" having the mentioned 7" single with the long version of "More News..."
    When they say double vinyl LP it can simply mean 2 records per set (and that would be just a repress of the existing records in the same formats)
    I remember around the time "Dig, Lazarus Dig" came out I bought off mute webstore "Your Funeral..." and "Mutiny" and they were sort of represses (same matrix) or stock remains as they didn't have any printed inners. I recently made the discogs entry for "Mutiny" with these differences, so maybe not a new reissue (like the Can catalogue) is on the way...

16. Neonbeam

I have said this before but the now expensive Cave albums have been in print until 2008. Only then I noticed that these readily available vinyl editions apparently started to dry up and made my move.

But for now a simple repress would be excellent news and better than counterfeits.

17. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Does any here know if the UK first pressing of Nocturama is better than the US?

Just found I have the US (and I have no complaints about it), but I'd get a UK as well if it's better. I like this album a lot more than most here seem to do.

18. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

What's the significance to those little grey numbers in the corner of each cover? Where'd this image come from?

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Despite the high cost of the originals I still keep a look out for them. But what really turns me off is that fact there have been pirate pressings and I don't know how to tell the difference.

Is there a site that has some details on how to spot the difference between an original and pirate press?

20. Neonbeam

Dead easy, the originals have printed inners, the counterfeits don't. Most counterfeits also have poor printing quality.

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

And also, atleast some Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds counterfeits did not have any matrix etc info on surface of the vinyl.
    One thing, that was clear that some of the pirate-editions have indeed poorer printing quality.

22. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

My pirate copy of Murder Ballads has poor printing, poor sound and no inner sleeves

23. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I was at a record fair in London last friday and the stalls were chocker full of pirates/bootlegs - chief among them Nick Cave LP's, followed closely by P J harvey and Joy division.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Thanks for the tips re orig vs pirate. I know what to look for now. :)

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Plain white inners and the fact they're brand new = pirate.

eddiel and Kristeva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.