Nina Simone - Vinyl Reissues (Philips-era) 07/2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon UK have a series of Nina Simone albums scheduled for re-release on 16 July 2016 on Decca Records but no further info. Does anyone know anything about these releases?

2. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

All 7 Phillips era albums; that's interesting, but I know no more than you do.

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm guessing it's to tie in with the biopic that's coming out.

4. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

pghmusiclover and Dubmart like this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What are these .ru Vinyl i see in B&M stores ?

7. pghmusiclover

8. Backwoods Vinyl

Backwoods Vinyl Active Member

I've preordered this from Acoustic Sounds.... hope it doesn't disappoint!

9. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

:drool:
    I really hope these are well-done. I've been trying to hunt down I Put a Spell on You, Wild is the Wind, and High Priestess and having no luck.

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Anyone have an opinion on the sound quality of these? Great albums but wondering how these sound before diving in!

What a great artist she was.....

11. pghmusiclover

They are not due for release until next week (July 15th).

Daveymoore, andres lira and teag like this.
  12. Dragonwell

Dragonwell Forum Resident

Expecting delivery of this today. Hopefully it's well done. Mono and original tapes would be amazing but I'm sure too much to hope for. I'll settle for quiet vinyl and a good mastering....

Love this era of Nina's lexicon.

13. senseabove

Please keep us updated! Out of curiosity, do you have any other pressings to compare any of them to?

14. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

I'm 3 LP's into the set, and by and large the mastering is very nice---I haven't done A&B with my originals (that are so-so shape) but I'm enjoying having clean copies of these 7 LP's. Great era for Nina too! Also, these pressings are dead quiet and noting off center--QRP should take note (since the last batch of titles has a few issues)

15. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Do we know anything about these? Mastering source? Digital?

16. senseabove

Universal's The Sound of Vinyl site has this full description, mentioning that they're digital cuts from 24/192 WAVs, if that's something you care about:
    Looks like it can be had for $132 shipped at Music Direct right now, using the MUSIC20 discount code, which is making it very, very hard to wait for some more reactions before giving myself a late birthday present...

patient_ot likes this.
  17. Dragonwell

I did some limited listening tonight to a few sides and was very happy. As noted above, the records all look perfect, nice and flat, no obvious visual defects or warps that I see. Plastic inners. The box is nice heavy-weight stock and the album artwork is beautifully done (almost reminded me a little of feel of the Beatles mono box or the recent Floyd reissues in terms of packaging quality).

Again, limited listening and I didn't actually do any cleaning besides a zero stat and a brush, but the vinyl was dead quiet and sound was probably the best I've heard this material. Great presence like Nina is sitting in the living room with you, nice wide stereo which seems to really work with the songs, and more detail and clarity than I can remember hearing previously. The mastering (at least what I listened to) sounded balanced, plenty of bass and top end.

I guess with the Amazon price I paid of $157, it's about $22 per album, which seems fair for pressings of this quality. Certainly finding original pressings in comparative shape would cost you much more. Of course, it would have been great to have all analog mono mastering, at least in my opinion, but I certainly think I will be enjoying this box set for what it is.

My prior sources were VG+ original mono pressings of several of these albums, which have their charm, but i think having clean stereo pressings will bring some of these songs to a whole new level. It looks like these titles are available at HDtracks and given the digital sourcing of this set, I would be curious if it's the same mastering. The link above says they were mastered at Abbey Road Studios for what that's worth...

18. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there are two versions of this set? US and EU?

Dragonwell - any idea where yours was pressed?

19. Dragonwell

The sleeves say made in Holland and the dead wax just has a series of numbers for what it's worth. Has universal and verve logos on the back of the box. Does this suggest Record Industry in Holland as the pressing plant?

20. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

It does. Thanks for that. Hopeful for EU copies now.

21. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Was there a signature in the deadwax? Wondering if Sean Macgee mastered these.

22. Dragonwell

Nope, nothing. Just a bunch of numbers.

FashionBoy likes this.
  23. Backwoods Vinyl

Backwoods Vinyl Active Member

To the naked eye the pressings are visually astonishing!

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

IIRC his sig looks like this:

i...i

Or something like that.

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. senseabove

Well, placed my order this morning... I've got one original Phillips US stereo pressing of Let It All Out to compare to, so I'll post notes when the box arrives. Can't wait to finally have the other Phillips albums!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.