Nirvana MTV Unplugged 2009 ORG Vinyl by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkeycat, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Black to Black version probably uses the same metal parts/mastering as the same as the European 320 version - which is a good thing.

John Bliss and diego piaggio like this.
  2. Are you sure? I don't know what to do with this release

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have both the Pallas pressing and Back to Black pressing, and although the difference is not night and day, I do prefer the Pallas pressing sound wise. Also, the vinyl jacket is a much nicer print quality than the Back to Black. I'll have to check tonight, but I do believe the Back to Black uses the European 320 version, in fact the 320 is in the deadwax, scratched out I think. Let me check.

diego piaggio and relaxdrax like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Ok, just checked some previous posts I left when I first picked up the B2B copy, and it does use the European 320 masters. Seriously, for the money I'd pick it up. Also, HMV Montreal just got in new stock of the Pallas pressed Unplugged and Nevermind for those that are interested. They also have copies left of the B2B release as well, which is slightly cheaper I think.

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yup, here is my original post from Aug 2014 and I wrote that the 320 stampers were etched in the deadwax of the B2B.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/listening-to-on-vinyl-part-196.375314/page-18#post-10937265

Also, here is the other posting I did when I bought the Pallas pressing and I state that I found it better.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/listening-to-on-vinyl-part-217.391421/page-12#post-11343580

For the price, either of these are a must own. What I love about the Pallas pressing is that it uses the ORG mastering, so you can benefit from the incredible sound without having to spend an arm and a leg.

diego piaggio likes this.
  6. relaxdrax

relaxdrax Forum Resident

Does anyone have an opinion on the differences between this Pallas pressing and the original? I have the original pressing on white vinyl and love every aspect of it. I was wondering if this Pallas pressing was worth picking up as well.
    Anyone know of any sound differences?

7. Can anyone comment on the quality of this pressing?

[​IMG]

8. Which is the difference between your release of Pallas and this?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Packaging and perhaps the actual pressing, but the Pallas uses the same ORG masters, so they sound the same.

10. Vinyl Fan, thanks to your advice, i bought the Pallas release. Oh boy! What a Sound! So deep, so powerfull! Thank you so very much!!!!!!

[​IMG]

John Bliss and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Wow, that is really cool, well I'm happy you are enjoying it and happy I could be of help. What do you have in terms of Nevermind on vinyl? The Pallas of that one is sublime as well, and it also uses the ORG stampers.

12. I have a brazilian release of Nevermind. Now i now of pallas release, im thinking buy Nevermind Pallas

(sorry for my english)

John Bliss and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  13. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I got ripped off on a red vinyl Nevermind which is a counterfeit. It sounds good for a copy but it is marred by a few pits and bumps in the vinyl. Now I know which one to get. I'm sure when I do acquire a real ORG it'll be a revelation. Thanks for all of the help folks!

14. If you could, buy the Pallas release. You wont regret it!

John Bliss likes this.
  15. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

What was the original performance recorded to? It's never had a particularly warm sound for me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded to some sort of digital 2-track format.

John Bliss likes this.
  16. JustinBond

JustinBond Forum Resident

I had an Amazon seller send me a B2B version by mistake (or maybe it was my mistake?) when I thought I was ordering the ORG version. It sounded pretty flat and dull to my ears. Bass response was extremely lacking. Ended up picking up an ORG version from ORG and sounded exactly as I hoped. Not as huge as the ORG Nevermind or In Utero, obviously, but it does sound great. I'd hold out for it.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Thanks again y'all for the input and advice. I also wondered what this was recorded to originally, digital or analog? I'm willing to bet digital in the chain somewhere. I do know Grohl is heavy into analog recording these days. If the band was calling the shots I'd lean towards analog but they may have left it up to Scott Litt.

18. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

To my understanding the Unplugged session was recorded digitally and even only 16-bit/44.1 according to this information in connection with the forthcoming re-release of the "Nirvana" Best of on Vinyl.
    All Apologies and The Man Who Sold The World are the only tracks taken from the Unplugged session. Why would they have to up resolution these tracks if there were better sources available?

"We used highest resolution digital files as noted below for each song. Final assembly and lacquers were cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. For the lacquer cutting process only, the last two 44.1kHz 16-bit sources "All Apologies" and "The Man Who Sold The World" were up res'd to 96kHz 24-bit so all audio was a consistent resolution to cut from. For the Blu-ray Pure Audio edition these same two tracks remain as 44.1kHz 16-bit files."

Source: http://www.analogplanet.com/content/here-it-comes-again-nirvana-collection-ume-time-45rpm

19. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

To cite myself here:

I just had a look at my Unplugged CD which I bought when it was released in 1994. There is a SPARS code printed on the back and that is AAD. I'm kinda surprised and confused why there would be no better source than 16-bit/44.1 kHz available from the record label for cutting as well as for the Blu-ray.

20. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Very interesting, it would really shock me if Unplugged was recorded at 16/44.1, considering KC was a vinyl lover.
    Damn, was it that easy to pick up? In the UK it is really hard to find the Pallas pressing without looking on discogs, we seem to be swamped with all this B2B rubbish.

21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Last week I ordered the ORG - still available in the webshop on their website.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

It caught me off guard when I found it at my local Urban Outfitters. My local HMV only has the B2B version and my other vinyl shop told me they were out of print and he could no longer order them. Of course you can find them online, but I didn't want to pay the high shipping cost, on top of the cost of the vinyl.

It's a great pressing and I'm happy I found Nevermind and Unplugged at UO.

23. Rottenstain

True but item + postage is just too much for a album that i already own on cd & vinyl (b2b).
    I can actually find the Nevermind Pallas, which makes it all the more annoying... i suppose that is one of the pitfalls of record collecting.

24. Rottenstain

Walked into local record shop, it was there, the US version of Unplugged Pallas pressing :laugh:. Improved sound on the B2B (320 stamper) & CD imo, it just little more detail and life like to the sound.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Congrats! Just when you least expect it, and that's the best way to obtain it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.