Nirvana MTV Unplugged 2009 ORG Vinyl by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkeycat, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algabatz

algabatz Forum Resident

I just opened an EU Back to Black
    Side 1: (Stamped): 144767E1/A3 4727100-A (Scratched): DGC 24727 A -2192.1- 18293.1(3) BG (Crossed over): ORG 034A P. USA
    Side 2: (Stamped): 144767E2/A 4727100-B (Scratched): DGC 24727 B -2192.1- 18293.2(3) BG (Crossed over): ORG 034B P. USA

Vinyl is very quiet and the sound is staggering. Clearly a Grundman, but could it actually have been pressed in the US? Label and cover says EU.

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Thanks for resurrecting this thread! Found a Pallas BG on discogs, new for $20. Seems an easy bet.

MarkO likes this.
  3. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Obviously repressed at GZ. That would mean you can get the ORG mastering really cheap now. I see this Back to Black edition usually for low prices in shops.
    Which Barcode does your copy have, please?

4. robd2

robd2 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, thoughts on this pressing which seems readily available now:
    https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-Unplugged-In-New-York/release/6553015

The interesting detail is that ORG 034-A is etched out in the dead wax.

Certainly has all the characteristics of a live performance but something's just seems off. The low end seems a little boomy and the highs seem to be taken too far down. I will say things clean up as the performance goes on as if the recording engineers are cleaning things up as the performance goes on.

5. PartyPoison15000

PartyPoison15000 New Member

Hey guys, I was recently going to grab a copy of MTV Pallas online, but noticed there wasn't the gold Pallas sticker. Does each copy have one? Also, considering i'm doing a poor job finding other Nirvana Pallas releases, could someone please point me to a good source. Preferably Australia. Thanks

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Not all copies had one, as long as it's in the loose bag, you're good. My Nevermind copy didn't have the sticker, and it was a Pallas pressing.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. Need opinion please!!!!

8. Do you recomend the original release??? I found it a 1993 release sealed with the yellow sticker!

9. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Is there a clear winner in the CD mastering department? I'm happy with what i have but i can always be happier!

This is hands down my favourite material from Nirvana. The cover of Where Did You Sleep last Night makes me tingle.

JeffMo likes this.
  10. pez

pez Forum Resident

The echoes on the bass are much more apparent on the ORG bass of come as you are. I wish they would do a similar CD version

11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Might be due in part to the restrictions of the CD format.

12. pez

pez Forum Resident

It's not there or at least not obvious on the standard vinyl either. I sold my ORG copies x2 as both had clicks pops and scuffs on arrival but wish I hadn't now as if I had it I'd still listen to the tracks that didn't have the pops over any other version I've heard. At the time I was just very annoyed by paying so much for them plus shipping to get duds

John Bliss likes this.
  13. pez

pez Forum Resident

No. Org or bust. Would love to hear an ORG rip

John Bliss likes this.
  14. pez

pez Forum Resident

Has anyone got a nice ORG copy they want to sell me?

15. pez

pez Forum Resident

Does the source matter if the result is beautiful?

16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Holy necrobump Batman

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Hi all, I'm very late to the game on this thread but I'm looking to pickup the definitive vinyl version of this album. Clearly the ORG pressed at Pallas seems to be the consensus; can you please confirm if this is the one I want? Or is an original pressing prefereable?

Thanks.

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged In New York

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Haven't heard the vinyl but this is among the best live shows of all time and an emotional experience. When Kurt played someone else's song it pretty much became his own.

John Bliss and Dorian75 like this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Yes. That be the one.

Dorian75 likes this.
  20. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks. There's a few comments on that particular Discogs release (the 2013) about some swooshing sounds on Side A. Is that actually an issue, and there is an earlier pressing that doesn't have that?

21. toddrhodes

I have that exact pressing but haven't listened to it in a bit. I can try to throw it on and check but from memory, I only remember it sounding fantastic, not any swooshing sounds.

John Bliss and Dorian75 like this.
  22. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks Todd. If you don't mind checking it that would be superb! Happy Thanksgiving!

toddrhodes likes this.
  23. toddrhodes

Ok ok ok, twist my arm, guess I'll have to throw it on soon :D

Dorian75 likes this.
  24. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Ha ha thanks!

And to return the favor, here is a GREAT behind-the scenes article about the performance and the events leading up to it. It was reading this article today that motivated me to grab a copy on vinyl.

Three Feet From God: An Oral History of Nirvana ‘Unplugged’

John Bliss and toddrhodes like this.
  25. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

I saw a copy of this recently at Guitar Center-had the Pallas sticker on shrink wrap but no loose bag. Are they packaging these differently these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.