Non-earbud Bluetooth for jogging?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MadMelMon, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found a few results in searches, but nothing I’m really looking for.

My Urban Ears died this morning :(

I walk/jog a lot, roughly 90 min -> 2 hours, six days a week. Music is a lot more important for me than it is for most people. I’m a music journalist, and I frequently listen to whatever I’m going to write about that day while walking.

Earbuds drive me INSANE...it’s impossible to relax with those things jammed in my ear hole. I’m also quite talented when it comes to sweating, so they fall out pretty quickly anyway.

Jogging outdoors is obviously a nightmare scenario when it comes to high end audio, but I’d like to go as far in that direction as I can. I won’t say money’s no object, but I’m not unwilling to shell out extra for something that can convey a little nuance. And they need to be Bluetooth, since I have a late model iPhone, and the 3.5 mm adapter feels like it’d disintegrate after a few uses. Any ideas?

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

most of the Bluetooth headphones for working out that I have seen are earbuds, but some have the hooky thinks that go around your ears and keep them in. if you find comfortable ones they are fine for running. some have removable tips so you could experiment with the silicone or memory foam tips to see what works best.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    MadMelMon likes this.
  3. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

BlueTooth is also hardly audiophile grade. Lossy which to varying degrees degrades sound quality. Best BlueTooth uses APTx codecs, the best option for BlueTooth music, and also most are earbuds unfortunately. See if you can find a APTx bluetooth adapter which you can plug the headphones you like into. That might be the best you can get. And might give you some better alternatives to earbuds (Like you I dislike most of them, Shure being an exception, those were more comfortable)

MadMelMon likes this.
  5. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

MadMelMon and H8SLKC like this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Go to Walmart and get some Jlab Neon Bluetooth headphones for 29 bones. They are light..they ROCK
    and I’ve never had them run out of power, never and I use them all day long at work. Peace

MadMelMon likes this.
  7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

whatever floats you boat, but in my experience ear buds made for working out are better than on ear phones, when working out.

MadMelMon likes this.
  8. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I've been running with Koss Porta Pros for many years now. I have logged tens of thousands of miles over more than 25 years of distance training and tried everything under the sun for music on the run. Shure in-ears, Etymotics, Sennheisers of different flavors, plus many more, I would wager there are few around who have tried as many models as I have in real world hard-training use.

I thought I had found running nirvana ten years ago when manufacturers started coming out with sweat-proofed sport ear buds of different designs, but they disappointed by getting waterlogged on long runs. They were indeed safe from damage because of their waterproofing, but when enough sweat accumulates in your ears, buds simply stop working correctly. Stop, shake them off, reinsert, repeat a mile or two down the trail. Frustrating.

At least six or seven years ago now, I stumbled on an article about runners in some Scandinavian country training with Porta Pros, which I though sounded crazy. Not only were they ugly, but they seemed cheap and I assumed the ear pieces would become as water logged and jacked up as others designs I had tried. Still, they were cheap enough and I thought WTF, let's try them. I've now used that same set since ~2010 or 2011, and they are perfect for running. I don't understand how the drivers don't become damaged by sweat, and I sweat a lot, but they don't.

Porta Pros sound great, have proven durable and immune to water logging (although I've never worn them in a thunderstorm downpour, so there's that) and most importantly, allow just a little outside noise into your awareness, which is critical on the run. I think it important to not seal out the world with buds or in-ears when on the trail. The Porta Pros have hit my sweet spot. I keep in expecting them to fall apart or to break one of the wires, but not yet. I have replaced the little black foam pads on them a couple of time over the years.

All FWIW. They don't look cool, but they work a charm. One of my best purchases and best values in running AND audio.

Dolemite, Marcev and MadMelMon like this.
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

MadMelMon likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I find myself looking for BlueTooth earbuds. Here are my bullet points:
    • Not connected to each other - wires and other dangling things bug me.
    • No earhooks - I wear glasses, and two pairs of earhooks is a bad thing.
    • They need to seal in my ears - I ride public transit and need to block out other people. I also want reasonable bass.
    • Decent sound - ideally with AAC and aptX like my Sony MDR-ZX770BN headphones which just fell apart.
    I don't run, so sweat is not a huge thing.

I never used active noise canceling as that is most useful for constant background noise, and is useless against people on the bus or train who are talking to their phone in front of their face.

No, I need soft eartips that will plug my ears up so I can listen at a safe level and block out the world. I need a variety of different size tips as my earholes are pretty big.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

12. ModeRed

ModeRed Well-Known Member

I’ve had some MPOW Flame headphones got a couple of months now - good sound (certainly for use whilst exercising), waterproof and not being ‘buds’ they stay put whilst cycling (the main reason I bought them).

Also, only £18 on Amazon so not expensive!

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I run a lot as well, and no problem with the adapter. I usually run with earbuds since over-ears get hot and sweaty, and earbuds fit in my center console much more easily. This also avoids battery/charging issues. So don't discount non-Bluetooth (I usually run the cord down inside my tank top). Why don't you get Urban Ears again?

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually by now maybe they look retro funky. But sitting on the ear, do you get any decent bass? Not that I have great bass all the time with earbuds, they inevitably lose seal and fiddly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.