Non-German true stereo Beatles Magical Mystery Tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by walrus, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This pressing has one stamper only on each side. The matrix numbers are04449-A1+C and 04449-B1+C) and no SHZE prefix.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Maybe it's my setup, but this version of MMT does not sound very natural due to the low end. I've noticed this on a few other German Beatles pressings from the same era.

3. Parlourphone

Parlourphone New Member

I assume you're only interested in vinyl, because I see no mention of the UK 1973 issue cassette.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Going from memory, the UK mix of Walrus (as heard on CD) is different from the mix issued in the US and Germany, namely that the UK mix doesn't mute the drum track after "I'm crying", while the other mix does. So the German LP is *not* identical to the CD.

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Nearly!

The mono mix mutes both drum tracks at that point, the German/US stereo mix mutes only one of the drum tracks.

6. Tone

Tone Senior Member

All of the German MMT copies are quite bright and when you add more at the very bottom, it does sound unbalanced...... (I actaully wish the German MMTs had a little more midrange)

As "Ben Sinise" says in the post link above (thanks!) ....."The later Apple pressing with smaller deadwax stamped 04449-A1+C/04449-B1+C has too much bass boost and as a consequence sounds unbalanced to my ears."

So the general consensus is to look for the SHZE 327 A-1, and SHZE 327 B-3 matrix #s, regardless of whether a Horzu or Apple label (they sound the same).... These are far more common anyway than the A1+/B1+ matrix.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't have it handy, but isn't one track mostly percussion and the other mostly drums (snare)? And it's the "drum" track that cuts out? Or do I have that backwards? This suggests I have it backwards...

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I actually prefer the UK EP to side 1 of the German LP.

9. The UK cassette is also apparently completely in stereo from the same mixes
    as the German vinyl, MFSL cassette and DMM digital vinyl repress.

John Bliss likes this.
  10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I bought one sealed fairly cheaply but it'll be a few day before I get it however my understanding of it is it has every track in true stereo and Wally cut it. :hide:

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just in case you come across this issue:

Odeon 28 642-7 (Club Issue)*
    (Apple, Remarks in English, Hand-written type)
    with "Clubsonderauflage"

Avoid it. The record club pressing, although it's German, uses the Capitol mastertape or a dub of it. I was looking to upgrade my German copy and bought this LP. I was shocked that the Capitol tape was used, with the 3 fake stereo mixes and the 1966 stereo mix of Strawberry Fields.

I found one oddity. I Am The Walrus has the 6 beat intro, instead of 4 beats.

12. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Interesting that considering the economy there's been a big price increase on these.

13. dayday

dayday Senior Member

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

Nearly. The UK cassette is actually exactly the same as the CD which came out 14 years later!

(i.e. all 'UK' mixes)

lukpac likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Grant must have typed that.

Dave and GentleSenator like this.
  17. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Some later Israel CBS Portrait pressings also use the German stampers... :eek:

You get a really cool green cover as a bonus. :D

18. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

That particular cut is an early unmarked DMM pressing from the 80's; the "+C " in the dead wax denotes it was mastered on copper.

19. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Okay, do you mean to tell me the German mix never had a CD release?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There isn’t a “German mix”.

The German LP used the US mix of I Am The Walrus. The UK mix is on CD. Beyond that, the German LP used (copies of) the same mixes that are on CD.

Om likes this.
  21. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

Is that the only reason the German LP is sought after?

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It’s sought after because people like how it sounds and it is all true stereo, unlike the original US and UK LPs.

SinnerSaint and fishcane like this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

NO Magical Mystery Tour LP is all True Stereo. Reason why, "I Am The Walrus" which is true stereo up to the King Lear "Sitting In An English Garden" section to the end of the track, which is rechanneled Stereo. The German Magical Mystery Tour HorZu issue onward is mostly, but due to the one track, not all True Stereo.

Macman007 and SinnerSaint like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.