Noobe Upgrading Turntable Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Troy T., Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy T.

Troy T. Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

New guy here looking for some help please. I just started to get back into vinyl and slowly building up my collection. I am thoroughly enjoying it! When I was young, I used to have a great system and all the great records to boot. I've been away from it for a very long time. I'm also a musician so I have a pretty keen ear. As I was doing some research, I came across this wonderful, knowledgeable, informative forum about certain pressings, etc. The info is absolutely amazing! I have a very entry level turntable. An AT-LP60XBT. I have a new Sony receiver that has blue tooth and that comes in handy. RCA plugs. My main focus is the turntable right now. If you had the choice, what would you go for out of some of these options? Thanks in advance.

Thorens TD-290 Turntable, 2 speed, Belt drive, Auto end of record shut off with Grado Green cartridge.
    (Made for Thorens by Pro-Ject in Czech Republic)
    Mission 775 with 773 arm and Mission cartridge
    Akai AP-306
    Linn Axis
    Yamaha PX-3 Linear tracking 2 speed turntable with Shure V15-V MM Cartridge
    Akai AP-306 Auto-Return Turntable with Stanton 681EEE Cartridge (without brush)
    Dual - not sure which model yet.
    B&O - not sure which model yet.

2. Troy T.

Also:
    Mission 775 S Turntable/MISSION 773 MM cartridge
    Linn Axis with AKITO tonearm.
    Audio Technica 440ML cartridge with a NEW AT120E (Nude Elliptical stylus)

Thanks! :)

3. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Why those tables? Are they available locally? What kind of selection criteria are you using? What does your keen musician's ear tell you is lacking in your current table, and cartridge, and phono preamp, and ...?

4. Troy T.

Yes, I have access to some of them. The keen ear statement was more directed to hearing and understanding different pressings, etc. I just simply want to upgrade. Thanks

5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Linn Axis, if you can still get parts for it (dunno if you can).

Troy T. likes this.
  6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If the arm is in good condition with effortless movement, then the Linn Axis is a nice table.
    -Bill

chili555, Randoms and Troy T. like this.
  7. Troy T.

Thanks Bill. I was told that it had an Akito tonearm. ???
    Audio Technica 440ML cartridge with a new AT120E (Nude Elliptical stylus).

8. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I would skip them all, especially the Linn Axis, as the power supply is a ticking time bomb. I owned one years ago, with a basic plus arm. It was an ok sounding table, and I kept it plugged into a switchable power bar, so the power supply was off most of the time. One day I was over at a friends bike shop, where they had a couple Technics SL-1200's set up from a DJ. They sounded as good or better than my Linn, and I don't even think they were running anything special for cartridges. I was more than a bit surprised.

jeff

9. Troy T.

Thanks Jeff. Skip them all? From what I understand, all have him been professionally cleaned and serviced. How about if you had to pick one or two other than the Linn? The Linn may be out of my price range anyways.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Don't believe the hype. It'll spank a 1200 if it's in proper order. Buy it from a dealer who has serviced the power supply and verified arm bearing condition and you're all good. The stylus is the weak link, but you can replace that at any point. It'll still sound very good as it is.
    -Bill

Randoms, Troy T. and uzn007 like this.
  11. Troy T.

Thank you Bill. Yes, that Linn is serviced and good to go. I'm still considering it. :)

12. Troy T.

The Yamaha PX-3 looks pretty interesting too.

13. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I was a Linn retailer in the tone period the Axis was on sale. Compared several times to the SL1200 and like the others hearing it at the time, much prefered the Axis. Apart from the better speed stability of the SL1200 (the Axis is excellent too), I also preferred the then spec (RB300 arm) Rega Planar 3 to the SL1200, the Axis being another big improvement.

Yes as @KT88 mentioned the two areas of concern are (like any s/h turntable!) the arm - the dealer can easily check this and the rather clever power supply. My brother still own the Axis I sold him and about 8 years ago the power supply failed. We found the circuit diagram on line and a local repair centre repaired it and replaced some caps - it has performed superbly ever since. I can confirm that the AT VM95ML works a treat in the Akito.

The Mission was a good but relatively rare turntable: not heard one in 25 plus years!

Troy T. likes this.
  14. Troy T.

Thanks for posting @Randoms So, do you think I should go for it? Here's some more info that I received:

LINN AXIS Turntable
    AKITO tonearm.
    AUDIO TECHNICA 440ML cartridge with a NEW AT120E (Nude Elliptical stylus)
    Unit inspected and cleaned.
    Fresh synthetic lube to motor shaft and platter bearing well.
    Belt cleaned and is good. All drive surfaces cleaned.
    Cartridge alignment done with Clearaudio gauge.
    Speeds set with KAB electronic strobe.
    Vertical tracking force (VTF) set at 1.5 grams, anti-skate set at 1.5.
    Q-UP end of record arm lifter installed and adjusted.
    All electrical connections cleaned.
    NEW ground wire spade.
    OMEGA ONE carbon fiber mat.
    Under plinth inspected and cleaned.
    Motor board cleaned. All caps look ok.
    NEW motor board cap replacements included for future use, right now speeds are fine.
    Dust cover polished.
    Plenty of other info on the LINN, including motor board cap replacement procedure.
    Works 100%

15. Randoms

A 100% working Axis was / is a very good sounding turntable. It should be used with the Linn supplied back oil.

The belt will sound better one way round - it is ground on one side.

Not going to argue over which alignment gauge, or strobe disc is used. The Axis can easily be adjusted to speed accuracy of 0.01% for both 33 1/3 and 45rpm.

Don't know the Omega ONE carbon fiber mat, 30 years ago preferred the Linn felt mat (on a LP12) to five other mats a customer bought, tried and donated to the shop.

My brother enjoys his Axis and I thought records played on it sound very good. Can't really think of much more to add!

Troy T. likes this.
  16. Troy T.

Thanks again @Randoms Excuse my ignorance, but what is back oil? So, in your opinion, does this all check out? I appreciate the help.

17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am sure he means black oil. I'd have the shop install the new power supply caps before you buy it. Having them in a bag won't help its performance or longevity...
    -Bill

Randoms and Troy T. like this.
  18. Randoms

Sorry, yes the Linn black oil!

Totally agree with Bill about the caps.

Troy T. likes this.
  19. Troy T.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  20. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

That is a new model introduced this year, so you must have just bought it recently, and it's good enough that some audiophiles are pleasantly surprised by it (see video below). So why not enjoy it and get your money's worth out of it, while you take your time to figure out what your next upgrade should be? Maybe visit some audio dealers and try out some turntables to find out what you like best, because there is no substitute for hands-on experience and hearing it in person.

Troy T. likes this.
  21. Troy T.

I did buy it recently, getting back into vinyl. Very true. I'm actually heading to go see some of them tomorrow. It is a nice entry level turntable. I just can't help to think back when I was a kid and had the ant-skate, tracking, nice overall tonearm and cartridges. Very high quality. This is nowhere near that, but it is pretty good for what it is.

Another question. Do higher quality turntables reduce the possibility of skipping?

22. Troy T.

Gonna possibly be looking at Dual 721.

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Linn, Thorens or Dual. See if your Linn dealer will give you a warranty even if only 6 months or so. Good luck.

Troy T. likes this.
  24. Troy T.

Thanks. Gonna check out the Dual & Thorens. Passing on the Linn for sure.

25. Troy T.

Update: Bought the Thorens. It was great, but the belt kept slipping off and when I turned it off, the platter would move slightly back and forth. I brought it back and and went for the Dual CS 721 and I couldn't be happier. It's much more to my liking and sounds fantastic! It has an Ortofon OM5E. I will eventually upgrade to the OM20 stylus.

vwestlife and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.