Norah Jones "Day Breaks" (new album - October 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I finally picked up my CD copy of this after sampling online. I think it's an excellent album and I've been mostly cool on what Norah has been doing since Come Away with Me (which I love). Every instrument is recorded with clarity and warmth and the songs are strong too. Wayne Shorter saxophone is excellent all throughout but his solo on "Peace" really does it for me in particular. I am very pleasantly surprised by this one and recommend it. :)

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I can see only one BG which is not the Grundman sig. Indicates Optimal vinyl pressed in 2016.

DLant likes this.
  3. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I have the Orange vinyl and it is constant noise throughout, even audible during the louder parts. I've got lots of coloured vinyl and this is the first time I've had this issue. Tried running it through the record cleaner but no difference.
    Looks great but I'll have to send it back.

4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

My regular black vinyl pressing of this sounds amazing. No noise
    Just wonderful music by Ms Jones

sberger likes this.
  5. jamjuice

jamjuice Member

FYI - replacement copy is great! The orginal vinyl seems to have been pressed off center causing the worble effect.

whaiyun likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Ditto. First listen was kind of blah as far as the recording/mastering. Listened late at night with the volume low. But listening this morning at higher volume not only is the vinyl quiet, but the recording takes on a much more dynamic presence. This is one of those records that you can actually turn it up and it sounds better, seemingly somewhat of a rarity in this day and age. Very nice.

RubenH and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I'm trying to decide if I want to grab a new orange LP from Barnes & Noble or if it will have the same issue as the orange one from Norah's e-store.

8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Norah doing cover of Neil Young's "Don't Be Denied":

Billy_Sunday, DLant and agentalbert like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

Finally had time to listen to the CD several times through today. I don't like the start. The first two tracks aren't a good open. Both the album opener "Burn" and the closer "Fleurerre Africaine" are weak, and then "Tragedy" is the worst kind of Norah song. Seems completely banal and its songs like that that get her the nickname "Snorah Jones". But the nine tracks between those all very enjoyable. I think "Flipside' is the best track and also really liked the Neil Young cover "Don't Be Denied" and "Once I Had A Laugh".

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

My copy just arrived and I'm very pleased! A superb album that does not disappoint in the least! Highly recommended! :righton:

snkcube, Parachute Woman and DLant like this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I was underwhelmed on first listen but on further listening the subtleties in the songs are growing on me.

12. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Couldn't have said it better.......great comments

13. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Halfway through the first side of the album and so far I'm pretty underwhelmed with the sonics. The record seems to be cut at lower volume and doesn't have very good separation or a very wide stereo image. I swear I hear some distortion even on the vocal. Hmmm

14. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I think the distortion on Norah's vocals might be related to the recording or mixing and not with the mastering. It's kind of a bummer, but at least the music itself is good.

Wade Burrow likes this.
  15. John

John Senior Member

Damn, this bums me out! Do you have the orange or black LP?

Has anyone noticed this with the CD?

16. Wade Burrow

I have the Black Vinyl Version. My copy has quite a bit of vocal distortion on the Neil cover which is the last track on side 1.

17. John

John Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Wade.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just got this and noticed the same thing.

Wade Burrow likes this.
  19. Wade Burrow

I was worried about my needle at first but after playing an old Steppenwolf album without IGD I knew it was the record.

20. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I've not noticed this on the cd but will listen closely and report back. Good album, btw

chacha likes this.
  21. John

John Senior Member

Hi seaisletim- Thanks for taking another listen. Also let me know how the CD sounds, Im hoping its not too loud and the dynamics are intact.

All The Best!

22. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Really enjoying album by Norah.
    Generally, I like most of her stuff, but she does have such a wonderful voice.
    This is among her best recordings.

coffeetime likes this.
  23. djej

djej Forum Resident

Norah performed a mini concert, just her and a piano, back in July that you can watch on YouTube. 2 songs from Day Breaks close out the set.

Norah Jones playing your requests live!
    0:32 - One Flight Down
    4:28 - My Dear Country
    8:35 - What Am I To You
    11:56 - Flipside
    16:23 - Carry on

coffeetime likes this.
  24. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I'm really hoping that those are the times the songs appear in the video and not the length of each song.

25. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

I thought the same thing about tragedy. However, at her live show tragedy was amazing. One of the best songs of the night.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.