Now confirmed, Chris Berman leaving ESPN's NFL gigs after 2016...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The anus?!!! Are you from Dallas? :laugh::laugh:

2. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

They've been losing viewers pretty steady for a couple of years; still, I'm pretty sure that they beat everyone else by a large margin. The only thing that I can take anymore is PTI, and half the time I can barely stand those guys. When the show first started, they seemed to be more like Joe Blow; anymore, Wilbon can't stop talking about who he knows, and who he's friends with. Get outta here.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

ESPN reality-check time. Get back to basics. Dump the silly stuff. Every one of their Sportcenter guys has to have their own shtick. Their NBA Playoffs are brutal. The MLB crap with Tim Kirkjian. Steven A., Kornheiser, Kenny Mayne, etc. Probably all started with Berman. Why not end it with his removal?

Tree of Life, GodShifter and spanky1 like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

You'll know it's over once Suzy Kolber leaves.

5. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

.....To Marry Joe Namath no doubt

bpmd1962 likes this.
  6. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Really? Never heard that one before. Musburger is a legend, Berman is not.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mike "your in good hands with " Alstott
    Hardy "har har" Nickerson
    Karl "the truth" Williams
    Curtis "my favorite" Martin
    "Hey hey you you get offa " Mike Cloud
    Andre "bad moon" Risen
    Mike "after dinner " Minter

Tree of Life and jriems like this.
  8. Oh, Lord. I once heard Berman and Rick Sutcliffe doing a game on ESPN radio. I still haven't recovered. They had to be the worst baseball announcing crew in history. Imagine listening to those two blowhards calling each other "Boomer" and "Sut" for three hours or so. Worse then Stirling and Waldman, and that's hard to do.

PHILLYQ and GodShifter like this.
  9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The ones that I couldn't stand were:

"Well-dressed" Amani Toomer
    "Daylight come and you gotta" Delhomme

10. Bert "Be Home" Blyleven
    Dave "Parallel" Parker

11. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

2 that made me laugh the first time I heard them. I'm sure there were others that I don't recall.

Kevin "smallmouth" Bass
    Eric "sleeping with" Bieniemy

12. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

ESPN is an infomercial for their live broadcasts and has turned into a joke. Horrible sports network. Berman was great back when the network was great. This sad network will do an hour sportscenter and talk about 90% basketball leading up to an hour basketball pregame show. The way they diss hockey coverage because they don't own any rights to it is a disgrace. Nearly as bad as the direction MTV has gone.

Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

This was one of his greatest hits. Probably in my top 10.

But my all time favorite was:
    Oddibe "Young Again" McDowell

I can understand the hate for Berman as far as play by play and home run derby are concerned. And like other onetime ESPN guys such as Olbermann and Tirico, he's no saint off camera (if you need proof, go to YouTube and watch the videos where he rants at the crew, hits on a production staffer, and my personal fave, discusses how he smuggles pills in from Canada).

But I don't get the hate for the nicknames. They were harmless and fun. Berman like Costas was part of the baby boomer generation that brought some humor to sportscasting, previously dominated by Pat Summerall types. I think he deserves some props.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  14. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm totally there.

Yes, his shtick got old a long time ago, but he has a shtick. His voice and style are distinctive. People will be imitating him for years to come.

Now, I don't put him in the same pedigree as Bob Costas, Al Michaels, Stuart Scott, or Dan Patrick, but he still has his place in the history of sportscasting.

As for the off-camera stuff, yeah, I don't want to meet the man.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

You're the first person that I've witness say anything nice about Musburger in ten years. Most of the time, I see guys go, "Ugh, make it stop" as soon as the hear his voice calling a college game as they mute the TV.

There is a local radio host here who has regularly played clips of Musburger's calls just to mock them.

16. Hymie the Robot

Stuart Scott and Dan Patrick are not in the same league as Bob Costas and Al Michaels. Not even close, sorry.

Paper Wizard and GodShifter like this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I agree with the first statement, but not the second. They are close, IMO.

18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Finally, no more "WHOOP!"

Is he still doing the Home Run Derbys?
    "Back back back back back back."

19. Hymie the Robot

You must just like them or their style because it sure isn't based on longevity in the business.

20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Stuart Scott was not only not in the Michaels-Costas league, but he is the reason I stopped watching Sportscenter. One of the most annoying sportscasters ever.

21. Hymie the Robot

He was never one of my favorites for sure and to put him in the same league with two of the all time greats is comical.

22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Well, Scott's style was unique, so it's hard to compare him with anyone. I don't understand the dislike for him, either. He made watching sports highlights fun again. Where Berman is corny, Scott was genuine. I'd stop and watch ESPN when Scott was on.

Patrick has been a national sports broadcaster for 27 years, so I don't know how you can say his status isn't based on longevity. He doesn't have the tenure of Michaels or Costas, but who does? To be fair, without Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick is Costas-lite. Even he knows that. Unfortunately, Olbermann has become such a controversial figure that even his own status as a great broadcaster and sports historian is muted by many people's violent hatred of the man. So, whatever chemistry Patrick and Olbermann had is left to be relegated to the past. That leaves Patrick to be unfavorably compared to Costas every Sunday night in the fall.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

NFL Prime Time with Berman and Tom Jackson at the desk was hands-down the best highlights show ever. Nothing since has come close.

Now I'm going to stand on my porch and shake my fist and yell at some clouds...

Standoffish and dlokazip like this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

Right. When it started way back in the day, all you had was MNF halftime highlights and Inside The NFL on HBO. Prime Time same day extended highlights of every game could be considered revolutionary at the time. I do think Berman and his shtick got somewhat old after the many years he was on but I don't hold that against him...

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Sorry but Stuart Scott was absolutely horrible as a sportscaster. His use of slang street talk just made me want to gag. That said nobody is as awful as Stephen A. Smith. That guy is a JOKE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.