Now Veiwing, Dracula's Daughter 1936

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Certainly not a fav amongst most folks of this lineage, but IMO it's a wonderful flick

More of a thriller than a horror movie, it has many slick moments to keep the viewer engaged.

The creepy assistant of Dracula's daughter is an odd and moody enough character to help invoke a scary feel to the movie throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prof. Van Helsing is in danger of prosecution for the murder of Dracula...until a hypnotic woman steals the Count's body and cremates it. Bloodless corpses start appearing in London again, and Hungarian countess Marya Zaleska seeks the aid of Jeffrey Garth, psychiatrist, in freeing herself of a mysterious evil influence. The scene changes from foggy London back to that eerie road to the Borgo Pass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I remember being disappointed the first time I saw this as a kid. Wanted more in your face type monster action like House Of Dracula. It was certainly more sedate than The Night Stalker which had just aired for the first time. Still the mood and atmosphere of this film kept bouncing around in my brain and I finally decided that I liked it. An important decision for a 7 or 8 year old monster kid to make. Some of my favorite scenes include Gloria Holden at the piano trying to play soothing childhood songs and Irving Pichel taunting her. Something along the lines of that music doesn't speak of release or something like that. She agrees and shortly afterwards we get one of the screens first sapphic vampire scenes.

The first script treatment was written by John L. Balderston and here is a quote from him that prefaced the treatment." Why should Cecil B. DeMille have a monopoly on the great box office values of torture and cruelty in pictures about ancient Rome? I want to see her [ Dracula's Daughter's] loathsome deaf mute servants carry into her boudoir savage looking whips, chains, straps, etc. and hear the cries of the tortured victims without seeing exactly what happens...". Needless to say Universal did not use his treatment but I would have liked to see it filmed. The quote from Mr. Balderston is from the book Universal Horrors by Michael and John Brunas and Tom Weaver.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.