Now You See Me -- most annoying movie I've seen in long time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

This film was playing at the $3 theater so I rolled the dice on it without knowing a thing about. What an annoying movie. The director must have gotten a two for one sale on flying dolly cameras because evey shot seemed to be the camera circling the actors like a mosquito that just drained a meth addict. I was getting motion sickness. I kept thinking, please, enough with the dolly shots! And the movie was this ludicrist story about illusionists robbing banks (or something)' the eye of Horus and a miscast Morgan Freeman winking his way through the movie in a big black hat. What a pile.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The camerawork was definitely over the top, but I thought it was a mostly entertaining film. Lost steam as it went, but still enjoyable... :shrug:

wayneklein and mikeyt like this.
  3. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

The plot was semi-ludicrous, but it was an enjoyable, entertaining film overall. I've seen worse.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't want to spoil but... I couldn't buy that the person who was behind it all, was behind it all.

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It wasn't anything special but I found it entertaining, especially since it wasn't a sequel, a remake and didn't feature giant robots or superheroes.

noname74 likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Luda was in it?

[​IMG]

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nope...you must be thinking of Fast 6.:D

8. Michael

really, I like Mark...he's a good actor.

9. Michael

all the things so many love to bitch about...throw in CGI and we have a frenzy!:laugh:

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was kind of a "Keyser Soze" reveal, but when I was in the theater, I thought it was pretty clever and I could buy into it. I'll try not to say too much (for those who haven't seen the film), but let me just say that one huge problem they never solved to my satisfaction is that it would take an enormous amount of money for the guy to pull this entire heist/caper off, and I couldn't see how a <character's job redacted> could get together that kind of money in the 25-30 years since the other person's death.

Some of the magic was also too impossible to me, but I know too much about real stage illusions and what goes into the planning and execution. I kind of grimace when they show magic tricks that clearly rely much too much on visual effects and not something that's at least sorta/kinda plausible. Floating in a bubble over the heads of a Las Vegas audience is not possible.

But I bought into the movie when I saw it, and it was enjoyable in a kind of weird, rollercoaster way. I can see why it was a hit, but I was surprised that it didn't just do well, it did extremely well ($300M) -- enough for the studio to announce a sequel with the same cast and director.

BTW, is it just me, or is Jesse Eisenberg the single most annoying actor in modern films today? His smarmy "smartest guy in the room" patter makes me grind my teeth after awhile. But I get that that's his character -- both in this and in Social Network.

As a special trick, they should've turned him into the Hulk at the end.

marke and wayneklein like this.
  11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It all seemed pretty implausible and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, logistically speaking. The worst thing was that, when it was over, I got the feeling that nothing had actually happened, which meant that I never really bought into any kind of conflict in the movie. It's clever and somewhat entertaining while it's on, but that's really about it.

12. Michael

I don't find that funny at all.:D

13. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Sorta like Harrison Ford in "What Lies Beneath". Completely implausible.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I thought it was enjoyable.... As for Dylan (Mark Ruffalo) seemed like he spent years and years for 5 minutes of getting even with 1 guy...

15. Ghostworld

I thought it was mainly badly directed. Too loud, too flashy, add to that to a wildly implausible script that was trying desperately to be brilliant and the whole thing came off to me like a big Las Vegas illusionist's act: gaudy, glitzy and sequined. I like magic, but that kind of act robs an illusion of any 'magic' in the real sense of the world for me, turning magic into a cheezy bleached-blonde Sigfried and Roy spectacle showered with tinsel confetti. That's how the how movie felt to me, a big glittering piece of Vegas spectacle. Underneath the it all --- vacant and basically there to separate you from your money. I was also bothered by the fact that it felt like a 120 minute advertisement for a new television series -- which I'm sure at heart it was.

SPOILER ALERT

Come on, after all the tricks pulled off, does anyone really think they'd arrest Morgan Freeman for that car packed with cash?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree. You should review movies for a living. :D

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And this is another movie that depends heavily on the complete lack of security cameras anywhere in the area.

I didn't hate it, but there were definitely some pretty awful eye-rolling moments in the film. But you know, it wasn't horrible; I've seen a lot of movies that were far worse this year. And all the performers were fairly charming, and I think that helped sell the (implausible) story quite a bit. Mark Ruffalo is definitely a very understated actor given a very tough job in this film, particularly with the unexpected ending.

I'd like to reveal who I thought was going to be the instigator of all the events, but I feel like it would reveal too much. Suffice it to say, I was originally convinced it was somebody with a very foreign accent. That would've made more sense to me.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

It's not as bad as Riddick, which I saw the other night. Speaking of foreign accents, it's such a terrible cliché to have one of your main bad guys with a South American or Eastern European accent. I absolutely hate that old trope.

19. I enjoyed it but the whole movie was really a slight of hand illusion.

Exactly. This is one of those movies that you either bought into and suspend your disbelief from the first half hour or you would hate it.

I enjoyed it even as I recognized how implausible it was.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

started out real strong, fizzled to an end.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I feel exactly the same way about Eisenberg.

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

wayneklein likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

That's not fair. I like Michael Cera...

Andy Samberg and Eisenberg are annoying.

24. It started out ok but went quickly South.

25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I like Eisenberg and Cera. Can't stand Samberg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.