Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. Oasis was a respite from all the negativity surrounding grunge. They made it Ok to hold your head up and be proud of yourself. I was always surprised that Slide Away wasn't released as a single....I believe it's my favorite track from this monumental record.

2. I used to go to Sifters Records in Burnage which is where the line "Mister Sifter Sold Me Songs" comes from. It was a cool little shop, I wonder if it's still there?

3. Spear and Magic Helmet

Seems like I so recall participating in a thread you started looking for advice on where to start with Oasis. I recommended then as I still would today to begin with the amazing Definitely Maybe. I'm glad you liked what you heard... Sounds like your a big fan, welcome to the family!

wwright and Favre508 like this.
  4. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Yeah, I did start an Oasis thread and you guys gave great info on where to start with Oasis and if was worth my time. It's great to be a fan!

George P likes this.
  5. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

My top 5 favorite songs off of Definitely Maybe would be
    1. Supersonic
    2. Live Foever
    3. Slide Away
    4. Rock n roll Star
    5. Digsys Dinner
    It's so hard to pick a top 5 from this amazing album!

6. Spear and Magic Helmet

Saw Noel last year live and one of the night's highlights for me was when he did Digsy's Diner. He had the whole place up and pogoing. It was a "deep cut" that I didn't see coming especially as he was mostly concerned with showcasing the HFB material. Great song.

wwright, Erik B. and Favre508 like this.
  7. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

That's awesome, man! Yeah, Digsys Dinner is a deep cut and one of my favorite early Oasis songs! I'm actually going To see Noel Gallagher live in February, and I can't wait to see him. so does he put on a good show?

8. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

An excellent debut album with some fantastic highlights. Very hard think of guitar hooks I enjoy more than those on Supersonic and Columbia.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  9. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

The first Oasis song I ever listened to was Digsy's Dinner. It was on a CD that was given away with the Super Nintendo classic Donkey Kong Country.

No, Donkey Kong has nothing to do with Digsy. Or lass-aaaaaaannngggg-yer. Anyway, I thought the sonf was a complete joke , and I couldn't believe that everyone seemed to love Oasis so much. But, I have since warmed to Digsy's, and the the band

Haristar, Favre508 and Erik B. like this.
  10. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

That's a hilarious story, Donkey Long Country is a great game as well!

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I remember watching MTV at about 3 am in around 1994 when they used to play videos (anyone remember those days?) and perhaps smoking something when I saw Live Forever for the first time. I was instantly hooked and a fan ever since. I constantly have to defend them to my other (American) music friends.

Saw them live four times. Have seen each of the brothers live solo once.

This should be a fun thread.

12. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Yes, it is. In an interview with Noel that aired on American tv 2-3 weeks ago (CBS Sunday Morning), Noel took the interviewer on a tour of Manchester, including Sifters Records. I was going to link to the video, but it seems to have been taken down from Youtube for some reason.

Soundhead likes this.
  13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

seeing him in March. If you like Oasis/NGHFB you will enjoy it.

14. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

A few thoughts:
    - Tony McCarroll could barely play but once he was gone, I missed him.
    - "Up in the Sky" is my pick for the single that wasn't.
    - My CD, purchased in late '94 or early '95, said "Digsy's Diner" on the label and it was only in the last 5 years that I learned this was an error.

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

My favorite songs off the debut (as well as songs that should have been on there)

Live Forever/Slide Away (tie- don't ask me to pick which song is better )
    Rock N Roll Star ( I always sing the lyrics as "I live my life getting ****tty. .. there's no easy way out." Makes a lot more sense that way. LOL
    Married With Children
    Supersonic

Sad Song/Whatever/It's Good (To Be Free)

16. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Up in the Sky is probably my favorite track on the album, but there are so many great ones. Listen Up is a killer b-side.

Favre508 likes this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

forgot about that one

18. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

is it just me or does Listen Up sounds too much like Live Forever/Supersonic combined ?
    i know it gets lot of praise from the fan base but i don't know...too close for comfort even by Noel Gallagher standard ;)

Haristar likes this.
  19. Spear and Magic Helmet

Yes, he does. He is full on with his acerbic wit and interacts frequently with the audience. I’ll be seeing him in February as well in Nashville. I’m bringing my albums in hopes of acquiring the famous Noel “N______ G______” signature.

Favre508 likes this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I Am the Walrus is one of my favourite Beatles covers of all time. I love the original, but I think what Oasis did with it was great. I love the guitar riff, I love Liam's snarling vocals and I love the five minute coda at the end. I think I first heard it when I saw them play it on TV years ago and I've loved it ever since.

21. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Hate to be "that guy" but "The Stone Roses" isn't really the Roses' debut
    Garage Flower - Wikipedia

22. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The DVD of Definitely Maybe is a must purchase if you like the band (and can be picked up dirt cheap).

There's the album version, TV live performance and a 'proper' live performance of each song and a great documentary on the making of the album which proves that even in the early days, Noel was a brilliant raconteur and Liam was a boorish arsehole!

Haristar likes this.
  23. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I don't agree with this at all. McCarroll had no fills but no one who "could barely play" could have played Bring it On Down (unless you believe the rumour that someone else played the drums on that track). He could keep time but didn't do anything "clever".

If you've not seen it, the interview with Owen Morris at this website sheds some interesting light on the recording & mixing of the rhythm section.
    Recording Your Music: Owen Morris On Mixing Definitely Maybe

specifically
    Bonehead, with Tony's drumming was a big part of the Oasis sound to me. And I loved Tony's drumming. It was simple, certainly, but his timing was immaculate and he hit the s*** out of them

Saint Johnny, AJK74 and BadJack like this.
  24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

They were never the same once McCarroll left, in a similar fashion to Steven Adler and Guns 'n' Roses. They may have got more technically adept drummers but the heart was gone.

andy75, Saint Johnny, AJK74 and 3 others like this.
  25. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Yeah, I phrased that poorly and you've said it better than I did. Sorry, Tony!

The quote, "There was magic in the dumbness of the rhythm tracks. The band never sounded the same after Tony left," says it all to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.