OASIS "Be Here Now" Remastered 3-CD/4-LP Box Set coming Oct. 7

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"Flashbax" was always one of my favorites. Always thought it should've been on the album.

I dunno why DBTT left me cold. It had a lot of hype, with a great drummer and a seemingly revitalized band, just the songs never quite lived up to its potential. Stuff like "Turn Up The Sun" would've maybe made the cut to be a Giants b-side. I think Noel just got lazy when he realized he had 3 other guys in the band bringing songs in...problem is, those songs, while not terrible, were rarely were up to his standard. I've enjoyed Noel's solo albums more than any of the last two Oasis LP's, I'll be honest, and it's probably something to do with that factor.

DeadParrot likes this.
  2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

In my excitement and focus on disc 3 (which I still can't believe) I have failed to mention that disc 2 also has some amazing era tracks! Sure most of the bsides are there but the fact that we are getting the acoustic live version of "Help!" is amazing! Back in early 1998 at Universal Amphitheater (Oasis Setlist at Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City ») I took my teenage brother to his first show ever and Noel ended his acoustic set with a very melancholic version of "Help!" It was him in a chair with his guitar and he sang his heart out. Its inclusion and other demos on this set makes this reissue the best out of all three Chasing Sun reissues.

:pineapple:

I hope we get deluxe reissues for the remaining LPs.

3. Lord Philcore

Lord Philcore Forum Resident

The demos are the holy grail for Oasis fans/collectors. To date only one song of the sessions has been released: Angel child (b-side of D'you know what I mean).

4. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

thanks for an example. yeah, I understand that people are VERY psyched about those, as is evident. Very nice of them to include everything.

Lord Philcore likes this.
  5. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

well it WAS considered a return to form (more or less) and im quite a fan off it, however i was only referring to the sound quality not the strength off the material !

'lyla' & 'importance of being idle' we're both quite succesful over here, & especially went down very well live!

Giants was a bit of a mess being an album of transition & change & 'roll it over' never really worked, despite some nice playing from paul weller - its a track that hasnt aged very well at all! most of the album like that track was noel treading water & almst drowning
    they should have taken more time out & worked on it more

Noel has never 'lost it' - there has always been very strong songwriting BUT his own quality control has always been his downfall
    and the great sometimes gets buried amongst the not so great & downright awful - and hes still doing it on his solo albums

only noel would 'waste ' such songs as :

'HEADSHRINKER'
    'acquiesce '
    ' The Masterplan'
    'its better people'
    'listen up'
    'talk tonight'
    'lets all makes believe'
    'Angel Child'............................

6. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

Indeed They are, very VERY happy to be finally getting these after all these years !!!

7. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Noel always wanted Oasis to stand alongside the Beatles and the Smiths for the strength of their b-sides so he deliberately put very strong material on the singles. It was his ego more than a lack of judgement that led to strong songs being issued as b-sides.

(PS the solo on Roll it Over was played by a studio engineer not Weller)

bluesbro likes this.
  8. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

one of my fav Oasis gigs/boots ever (and most played no doubt) and one that has remained in my top 5 for 18 yrs now
    is the japan show from 20th feb 1998

certainly 1 of the best 'BHN' gigs in a superbly clear atmospheric audience recording (Though there is the SBD & dvd too )
    which includes a superb Help along with equally superb versions off dont go away & setting sun

Its a cracking Gig - Liams in great voice, the band is tight, the BHN material holds up very well
    and i absolutely loved where Noel 'was at' during this period !!!

if theres anyone in this thread who hasnt heard this gig, i implore you to track it down

9. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

paul stacy ?? Not sure why its stored in my head as being weller ??? maybe from an article or something at the time ? aopologies

as for the Bsides - yeah i know noels reasoning but it was STILL a lack of judgement on his part - no one in their right mind should throw away 'acquiesce'
    and 'The masterplan' when they then put out an album containing 'little james' (token gesture to Liam or not) and 'i can see a liar' etc

10. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I'm really only familiar with the first three albums & the songs from the later ones on Stop the Clocks. I know this is a question likely to elicit as many answers as there are people, but what are people here's favourite post-Be Here Now Oasis album?

Allen Michael likes this.
  11. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

My fave post BHN is Dig Out You Soul

FJFP, ZoSoUK and jsb! like this.
  12. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing Thread Starter

as i've mentioned before, Noel lost some mojo after BHN didn't propelled them into U2 category as anticipated.
    he still wrote some good stuff (Gas Panic, Let's All Make Believe, Shout It Out Loud, etc) but it just didn't feel the same without that brash confidence he's shown during 1st 3 albums.

he finally got some of it back after the success of 'Don't Believe The Truth' album (& its singles). that album is ok...i think it feels better than it actually is mainly due to its 2 predecessors being disappointing (Oasis without mojo). however by their next (& final) album 'Dig Out Your Soul', Noel got it all back (along with some maturity) and his 6 contribution to that album was his most consistent high-caliber material since the early days (self-assured without sounding arrogant). even Liam contributed with his 'best' written song 'I'm Outta Time' so that album really had a chance to be special but... unfortunately, rest of the album were made up by pure dog-crap(s) written by remaining members so....opportunity lost & band over when Noel realized there was no place left but to go back down for Oasis. it's too bad since Noel had other quality stuff leftover from that session & other guys had better materials as well judging by the 1st Beady Eye album but...i guess it just wasn't meant to be.

to sum up your question, there're quality materials to be found in all 4 post-BHN albums (some more than others)... but i'm afraid it's just not as consistent as those early albums (& those b-sides).

Freek999 and jsb! like this.
  13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Noel wanted to include "Stop the Clocks" and "Record Machine" on Dig Out Your Soul but Liam kept blowing off or postponing doing his vocals and finally Noel gave up and put it out with songs on it he had intended as b-sides ("High Horse Lady" was one of these).

14. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Well, technically, it's not an "album," but The Masterplan was released after Be Here Now. It's a sampling of B-Sides up to 1996, but it certainly stands alongside Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory. I listen to it more often than those first two albums. Several of these songs are on Stop The Clocks, but you MUST hear the rest as well. They have other worthy B-sides from that period that could also have been included on The Masterplan.

I enjoy all of their albums following Be Here Now to varying degrees, with the exception of Standing On The Shoulder of Giants. The next three albums have lots to recommend beyond the singles that you may have heard. For starters I would suggest:

She Is Love
    Probably All In The Mind
    The Importance of Being Idle
    A Bell Will Ring
    Let There Be Love
    I'm Outta Time
    Falling Down

PhantomStranger and jsb! like this.
  15. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I don't have The Masterplan per se, but I have most of the tracks via the deluxe editions of the first two & Stop the Clocks. Agreed, some of those songs are superior to the albums of the time.

Given the ease of finding Oasis albums for cheap second-hand, I'll probably try all of them sooner or later. (Even aside from streaming options.) I think, per a few suggestions here (thanks everyone!) & some reviews I've read elsewhere, that Dig Out Your Soul might be my next purchase...

Allen Michael likes this.
  16. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Doesn't "The Roller" also date from around this time too?

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The Roller goes all the way back to Heathen Chemistry

Carl80 likes this.
  18. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Does anyone know if this "Chasing the Sun" reissue campaign only includes the first three albums? So with Be Here Now, the reissue campaign ends?

19. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

That's what the dates imply its been advertised as "chasing the sun 1993-1997"

20. Lord Philcore

Lord Philcore Forum Resident

Detailed information on the Mustique demos for everybody who is interested:

Be Here Now »

Carl80 and OobuJoobu like this.
  21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It does mate, just the first three, Regarding the mustique demo's Angel child has always been one of my favourite b sides, so if the quality of that is anything to go by I think where in for a treat regarding all the others. Can't wait to here stripped back versions of I hope I think I know, stand by me, all of them really !

And on disc 2 it looks like there's an unheard/unreleased track (if we shadows) that not many people have info on after reading on other forums so this reissue is huge for oasis fans.

Vern likes this.
  22. Nuts and Gum

Nuts and Gum Forum Resident

It's between this one and SOTSOG for me. The first half of Dig Out Your Soul is excellent. The second half (apart from Falling Down) is dreadful. I don't QUITE buy the "Liam got married so we couldn't record two songs" - which were Come On Outside (which was supposed to be the first single), and Record Machine. There was definitely a falling out there, which I think was the beginning of the end even before the tour began.

I think Noel was quite happy to keep Record Machine for himself. Come On Outside is a real miss on the album, would have improved the quality and the demo/early studio recording we have would really benefit from Liam's voice.

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants has a lot of personal memories for me (as many bad as good), and it's an album that feels quite bloated despite it's short running time (nearly 30 minutes shorter than Be Here Now). The highs on the album (Gas Panic, Go Let It Out, Roll It Over) are as good as Oasis got post-Be Here Now. It's criminal that Liam was so underused on the album - he only sings on 8 tracks of the entire album sessions (inc. one B-side).

It also has a few stinkers on it - Sunday Morning Call, Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is, I Can See a Liar.

Recommended songs post-Be Here Now:

Go Let It Out
    Gas Panic
    Roll It Over
    Let's All Make Believe
    Turn Up The Sun
    The Importance Of Being Idle
    Keep The Dream Alive (a bit derivative Oasis but good fun - great chorus)
    Can Y'see It Now
    Bag It Up
    The Turning
    Falling Down

jsb! and YMC4 like this.
  23. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Just buying it for the demos! Can't wait!
    As for the regular album - vinyl is the way to go or a widely spread vinyl rip in flac format - much better dynamic range than any digital release and much better instrument separation. Whole different listening experience. Still my favourite Oasis album!

24. EricSwan

EricSwan Forum Resident

I also think DYKWIM is one of Noel's best songs. The remix is a breath of fresh air to the original that was overdubbed and compressed to death, I particularly enjoy the clarity on the drums and it sounds like there's more "space" between the instruments. I suspect some of the improvement is due to mastering that is lighter on the std Oasis "brickwall" approach and would prefer a remastered original mix because the strings are too heavy in the remix.

jsb! likes this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

"Roll it Over" is my fav. track on the album. I think it would've been great live if they'd ever tried it. Giants is a mess of an album, but it's best songs (the first two singles, "Gas Panic" and "Roll It Over") are better than anything on the last two Oasis records, IMO. Looking back, I wonder if Noel just became disinterested in the band due to having to deal with Liam, writing fewer songs, and letting the rest of the band pick up the slack, because it was just easier.

"Lyla" was a big hit over there, but and it's harmless fun, and I see how it played well in a stadium with it's pogo-ready feel, but it just isn't much of a song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.