Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory deluxe reissues announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Hey, Champagne Supernova was DR3 on the original CD. The remaster is practically in MoFi territory, Oasis-wise.

2. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Nice story! Youre right - the demos are great. That was also my reason to get this new 3 disc set.
    But if you want to explore Oasis in the best sound quality with the least amount of compression - the remasters are not the go to versions. The B- sides sound better on the original Single releases, especially the acoustic tracks.
    For the album tracks - vinyl is the way to go. It doesn't really matter which release. If you don't have a turntable like me - the 2009 vinyl remasters rips (flac files) are widely spread over the internet and they sound great. It's a whole new listening experience without all the brickwall nonsense. For Definitely Maybe look out for the 4 disc set called Safety Copy of Masters - they are Owen Morris free :)

3. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I am really on the fence with this one (and about to fall off...). While I thought DM was a step forward from the original cd, WTSMG is most certainly a step backward. As most have remarked, it's unbelievably loud and the more I listen to it the more harsh it sounds. So far the only track I really like is "Some might say", it actually has some warmth and solid detail, but then it jumps into "She's electric" which is horrible (is the sudden tape cut-off between these tracks in the original?). I tried it on both my Ortofon Bronze and my AT-150mlx and both loathe it. The mid range detail immediately drops off and the vocals show distortion that doesn't even belong there. The fit and finish are nice enough and the pressing quality is certainly good which makes it even more of a shame. I may actually end up returning this to send the message that if you're not improving anything, then don't bother, I guess I'll just stick with the original cd. The whole point of vinyl is the warmth and they seem to have made every effort to kill it with this version. Amazon UK even has it listed as "under review" for not matching product description.

meandafoe likes this.
  4. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

Thanks for that. It sounds as if the original vinyl simply kills the new one. It does sound good here, especially on DLBIA, is it the case for the whole album?
    If they did the good job back in the 90's why the hell they can not do it now. Such a brilliant album and I have no choice but stick to my original ear bleeding cd.

btw, BBH - even if that was an attempt to make fun of Blur it's not a bad b-side at all nevertheless still don't understand why the hell in 1995 they decided to reshuffle the original track order of a basically perfect pop album with such a snuffbumble.

5. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

spinned this vinyl yesterday. the compression is really noticeable, for sure. but the songs are all rippers so I look past it. :wiggle:
    hope they release some live albums from their peak next, but i doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Peachy likes this.
  6. I'm interested to know if there will be any future archival releases (damn, I feel old saying that about Oasis already!) after the current "Chasing The Sun" campaign ends with the remastered edition of Be Here Now in December... Sure, it would be great to see full live albums, but apart from a reissue of Familiar To Millions they would need to head into the vaults and put something more complete together - Knebworth 1996 would be the obvious choice for many, though I'd prefer to have their last four studio efforts given the same expanded treatment as the first three. While it's highly unlikely to happen, I really want to hear all of Noel Gallagher's original demos from the Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants era, including two cassettes recorded in '98 plus a CDR of tracks compiled the following year. Liam supposedly couldn't reach the high notes on Force Of Nature and Little By Little, which explains why these were held back until the Heathen Chemistry sessions. From what I've read about the contents of these holy grails, Full On has yet to circulate in its early form, and I've no idea whether For One So Young is the initial title for another song or an unheard leftover. Moving on to later material, I wish the aborted Death In Vegas sessions would see the light of day along with any further preliminary tracks recycled by either Beady Eye or Noel's High Flying Birds, such as the demos of Stop The Clocks and (I Wanna Live In A Dream In My) Record Machine that appeared on Faster Than The Speed Of Magic. Does anyone else remember The Roller first being mentioned as far back as 2001 during interviews? Standing On The Edge Of The Noise also served as the name of a televised special long before it appeared on Different Gear, Still Speeding, from what I can recall. Saying that, if they won't put out all the demos known to exist for Morning Glory then we'll never get even a fraction of these - never mind the full Mustique tape on CD3 of the upcoming Be Here Now. I'm guessing something's being kept in the vault for an almost inevitable Anthology type boxed set years down the line when the Gallaghers are strapped for cash. By then I suspect Liam's alimony fees might have grown to become almost as legendary as the man himself, plus I reckon Pretty Green will have burned off any financial reserves he may still hold claim to!

JasonH, Hep Alien and gsmile like this.
  7. tzatziki

tzatziki Active Member

+1 on those Death In Vegas sessions. I bet there is some amazing stuff there.
    I really want more lo-fi demos from Noel to see the light of day. You are right though, they are definitely holding back some good stuff for something else down the line.

8. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Which shows do you have in mind? Most shows are already available on brilliant bootleg releases. That's why I was so disappointed with the Roskilde songs on the remasters. First of all there are so many better shows around and the sound quality is ****e.
    My choice would have been: Vancouver 1995! There is an amazing bootleg available - called "Listen UP". If you don't already have it - get it. It's a must have. It has a rare live performance of Listen Up and the sound quality is amazing. I just checked - it has a DR of 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And no song is under DR 10. It sounds almost to good to be true :) You can find it on discogs.
    By the way - what is their peak for you? For me it's late 1994.

9. Yeah, there are many great live shows from around that era circulating as very good soundboard recordings. There is one from Japan that would be interesting.

10. deadman

deadman Forum Resident

It's worth pointing out that it's very, very likely that two of the tracks which say they are from Roskilide (Hello and Some Might Say), are not. A comparison to the FM bootleg and an audience shot video from Roskilide show the audio doesn't match up, especially in Some Might Say. A few of us on some of the Oasis forums have been trying to work out where those performances come from, but we're not sure, as there's not matching up to any bootlegs in circulation. A possibility is Bath Pavilion, as Talk Tonight is from there on Disc 3. However, it wouldn't surprise me if that was another error in labelling, there's so many errors on Oasis sleevenotes to recording locations and dates, it's turning into a running joke now.

11. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Before anyone stone me - I know that the Vancouver show was month before the release of WTSMG and has no songs from that album. It's a great live recording anyway. They could have put some of these tracks on the DM remasters. I just wanted to point out that there are way better shows that could have been included.

By the way - does anyone know why the Hey Now Demo has significant better audio quality than the rest of the demos? I can't stop listening to this track - it sounds so amazing. I always knew this song has potential but this acoustic demo is just pure perfection. I also like the way how Noel sings the chorus differently: I heard so... I heard someone say now
    I wish there are some great demos on the new Be Here Now remasters. It's the only reason for me to buy these remasters because I already have the singles and the album tracks sounds better on the old vinyl releases anyway.

12. liammuc

liammuc Forum Resident

Doesn't Liam say something like "Better than Glastonbury this - isn't it? There's no long-haired person in sight." at the end of Hello? So I don't think it is from Bath Pavilion which was 1 day before Glastonbury. It makes more sense to me if this performance was from a gig after the Glastonbury one.
    Just curious - what else is labeled wrong on the sleeves? I only have the mp3 download version

13. deadman

deadman Forum Resident

He could have been coming at it with a "no need to be at Glastonbury tomorrow when we're here now" angle to it. It really is all speculation and guesswork in the absence of something concrete to compare it to.

Everything else seems to be correct.

14. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

Those two tracks are not even next to each other in the tracklist. Did you forget to import "Cast No Shadow" into iTunes?

15. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I just received my 3 cd set from Amazon yesterday. So far my impressions are that the original album sounds at least as good as the original cd and that this deluxe version is completely worth the money just for the photos and interview excerpts about each album track and b-side.

Galley likes this.
  16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thats good to hear, I was thinking of trying to get the box set for the book and the 7". But too much money , think I get the three cd set

17. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Ok, seriously the title track sounds laughably bad and Champagne Supenova is not much better. It's getting returned for sure. This mastering is thoroughly unacceptable and borderline criminal.

Whistlerskibum likes this.
  18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Nah man, I actually did mean to say "Cast No Shadow" and then "She's Electric". I'm also referring to the 2LP version in all of my ranting and raving. I really love this album and it really makes no sense how or even why this remaster came out the way it did. At times you can hear deeper into the mix but why it was seemingly done at the expense of the upper end is a mystery.

Dmdstrhalo likes this.
  19. I do love the packaging and presentation on the 3-CD set.:agree:

20. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Me i'm still have to wait at least 3 weeks for the importation to arrive.:shake: and I've already listened at least 10 times all the music on spotify already though....these crazy times.

21. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Wow, 2014 is way less dynamic and clear then original pressing, it's not a subtle difference, yikes.

22. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

This is by far the worst sounding vinyl I've purchased in years wasn't expecting sonic nirvana but sheesh it's really terrible. Perhaps the download card will salvage the purchase.

Fortunately Amazon also delivered the new Beatles mono box at the same time, quite the range of quality care and production between my two latest acquisitions.

23. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

i don't think the problem is the vinyl quality but the band quality. :D

Fullbug likes this.
  24. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I suppose it's one of the very few albums where the brickwalling actually means something. So why complaining?

apple-richard likes this.
  25. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

The Brendan Lynch mix of 'Champagne Supernova' is fantastic, I think. Beautifully done.

hiterss, Dmdstrhalo and Nick Dunning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.