Obvious child - Paul Simon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maestro63, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident Thread Starter

anyone else think this is the best single from both African albums. I actually prefer rhythm of the saints to Graceland but I know I’m in the minority there

CMcGeek, sunking101, stever and 18 others like this.
  2. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Same here on both counts.

3. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I prefer "Rhythm of the Saints" as well, but "One Trick Pony" is my favorite, so I'm really in the minority.

Jarleboy and Elliottmarx like this.
  4. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The song Obvious Child is my favorite Paul Simon song(with Run That Body Down being a close 2nd), it kicks a$$

Ryan Lux and ego1jr like this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Isn't Rhythm of the Saints using Brazilian musicians, not African?

6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Highly addictive single and a cool balance between his pop days and his current random lyric approach. That song got a lot of airplay and, of course, there's nothing like it, before or since. Hard to compare, though, to some of the monster masterpieces from Graceland. It's it's own thing, and gets a lot of play in our house.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ok, I'll keep this going...

I love OTP, but my favourite is Hearts and Bones. I know that I'm in the minority here...

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I love Hearts and Bones, but my favorite is Songs from The Capeman, so I guess I'm in the minority here.

:biglaugh: Juuuust kidding...!

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That song--and the album as a whole--are masterpieces. The album is, maybe, for me, Simon's greatest work.

L.

Ryan Lux and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Yes.

11. Cooly McDuck

Cooly McDuck Forum Resident

Agree with OP... the live version from Paul Simon's Central Park Concert is where it's at. Incredible.

12. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I've never cared for the sound of Rhythm of the Saints. Don't really care for the Central Park album for much the same reason. Maybe it's the mix. I much prefer the versions of the songs he covers on the MTV Unplugged.

13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

It’s a gem of tune, but a close second to the one below.

bataclan2002 and Sean like this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There's both. And American musicians too.

15. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

entirely prefer rhythm... to graceland, but i'm sorry to say that that's mostly the production--i love graceland, but some of those digital-flavored drum sounds just make me cringe. admittedly, with it's having been a hit on such a mammoth scale, i'm certainly not questioning the artistic decisions etc, but it could have aged a bit better for me...

that said, rhythm... has always been an album that i listen to as a piece--i've never thought of it in terms of individual tracks, it's almost like one long conversation touching on myriad topics. i've long felt the same way about surprise, another favorite (there's one where I'M likely in the minority)!

but, to throw an opinion out there, "the obvious child" really IS a whopper of an opener.

smitquest

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. Great song and great album opener. I prefer it to You Can Call Me All, but not to Boy In The Bubble. I agree that the Rhythm Of The Saints album is underappreciated. In addition to The Obvious Child there's Proof, Born At The Right Time, Spirit Voices and The Cool Cool River.

robcar likes this.
  17. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

I am obsessed with this song and the whole album at the moment - can't wait to see him later in the year...

Socrates likes this.
  18. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Love this tune. I think it's Paul Simon's best-ever.

AJK74 likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've always liked it. I like the drums.

AJK74 and Socrates like this.
  20. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Agreed (with the OP) on both counts. As far as deep album cuts go, I especially enjoy "Further to Fly."

Ryan Lux likes this.
  21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

That last song gets my vote as Simon's greatest composition (which is really saying something). It's that stunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.