"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Forum Resident

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Basically. The album was recorded several years ago (or at least started several years ago) before Pignatelli and Marangolo came back to be part of Goblin in 2013.

marblesmike likes this.
  5. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Goblin Rebirth LP pre-ordered!

Yeah the Chi? clear vinyl made it to Record Store Day in the UK too, but at £19 it was waaaay too expensive!

Still loving Bon Ton from the new album...

6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm so used to paying premium prices for Goblin records that as a collector, I felt it necessary to buy several copies of Goblin Rebirth given the low price. The first released track has gotten better with repeat listens, though I think Four of a Kind will overshadow it for me.

BAM likes this.
  7. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

The new Goblin Rebirth album so far sounds as though it is a bit more synth-focused, so if it can capture some of the magic in line with the likes of La Chiesa, Lotte, and the whole Bagarozzo style, then it will be a winner in my book.

I'm looking forward to the Goblin Rebirth live DVD and double vinyl releases too... hope they become available soon.

8. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Meant to ask izgoblin... do you have any more info on how to identify an early or 1st pressing of Profondo Rosso LP? Someone went to the trouble of explicitly mentioning that their copy only had Gaslini credits - is this an accurate way of confirming a 1st press? Thanks.

9. Scope J

BAM likes this.
  10. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I forgot that those live releases were eluded to! I haven't seen anything about officially from Relapse though, so I really hope it is true. I've been wanting to see that 2011 concert in full since the moment I learned it had been filmed.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Rather unfortunately I don't have access to my LPs right now to provide the greatest detail, but yes, the original pressing does only list Giorgio Gaslini in the credits in the inside gatefold. Of course, Goblin's name was always on the cover. I believe the rarer version came later where "Goblin" was added in that inner gatefold, and I recall it being done rather sloppily too. I think the image on the back cover is of lower quality in this version due to however they handled the replication of the cover art.

Incidentally, I collected Goblin LPs for nearly 20 years and only saw the second version with the "Goblin" added for the first time last year. So that came as a surprise to me! Claudio Simonetti once told me about it at a convention, but having never seen one, I thought his memory was incorrect.

12. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - seems as though its still gonna be a crap shoot as to whether I manage to get hold of a nice sounding one though! Time will tell...

13. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

An unexpected vinyl-shaped parcel arrived today - via USPS - not too common as i'm in UK :) Was it my Four of A Kind LP? Nope unfortunately not, however....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still working my way through my first listen, but really enjoying it so far - the atmosphere is there :) Track 4 was quite surprising in its style with the female vocal element, very nice.

The LP is nicely pressed, sits nice and flat, no scuffs, and the sound quality is pleasing with a nice thump from the drums. Nice job Relapse Records! There is also a digital download code via Bandcamp, but haven't checked that out yet. The LP has an endless loop in the run out groove on each side that plays an eerie noise.

Hopefully Four of A Kind won't be too much longer :)

Oh, finally pulled the trigger on an original pressing of Profondo Rosso earlier this week... fingers crossed its a decent one, wishful thinking perhaps :)

BAM

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    hi_watt likes this.
  14. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

OK, I was apparently getting ahead of myself with the endless runout groove thing... seems like ending tracks on both sides just have a looooong fade, doh... anyways loving this album, LP is getting worked hard :)

15. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Thanks for the report, BAM! I am in the US and hope that mine might also have possibly arrived today so that I can check it out over the weekend.

While I am looking forward to it, I think Four of a Kind is a lot to live up to right now, so I might have trouble not unfairly comparing it with that. I like that there is a concept behind this one though. I wonder how modifying the running order for the LP upsets that concept?

16. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I haven't read the liner notes regarding the back-story yet, i've just been enjoying the music so much, seriously, the album is fantastic with some truly killer tracks on it, hugely impressed with it!

17. Scope J

[​IMG]

izgoblin likes this.
  18. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I'd let her check out my collection any time.... :)

Scope J likes this.
  19. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Some math for you...
    Four of A Kind + Goblin Rebirth = A wonderful time to be a Goblin fan :):):)

Scope J likes this.
  20. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Just received an email from PledgeMusic - Four of A Kind Vinyl records have finally arrived and will be shipping out tomorrow! Cant wait :)

marblesmike and Scope J like this.
  21. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

So my LP of Profondo Rosso arrived today - played through and its a good'un :)

Plays super quiet throughout, very crisp and clear, really wide stereo separation. On the opening near the very start of the title track, there was a definite hint of sibilance on the very high pitched starting notes, but thankfully that was the only shrill bit of playback. Other than that, my only other critique would be it is a little light on the bass... but im very pleased, the 1-2 of Wild Session (my fav on the album) and Deep Shadows never sounded better to these ears - especially that drum solo!

Scope J likes this.
  22. serj

serj Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound of the new 2 CD compilation GOBLIN-THE ULTIMATE COLLECTION?

23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I can't yet -- I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it! I've just ordered one now. Hopefully Cinevox used unfutzed-with original digital masters for a change, but I doubt it.

BAM likes this.
  24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

BAM and Scope J like this.
  25. serj

serj Forum Resident

izgoblin, pls, wright your opinion on the new compilation when you will get it.