"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. Harbottle

Harbottle Well-Known Member

I received that Goblin Rebirth album in the UK a few weeks back (Gold/Pink version) and thought it was absolutely splendid! A lot more 'proggy' than Goblin, but doesn't bother me. Four of a Kind was very good as well. My six year old son has taken a shine to Goblin as well. I was playing Goblin Rebirth in the car today and my wife and daughter both called it a 'racket'. I took this as a compliment.

I also picked up some Simonetti stuff in recent months. A box set with Opera and Demoni and some re-recordings of Goblin tracks on an EP. I don't like this stuff much, too much bad heavy metal stuff on it. There was also various re-recordings of Zombi and a compilation called 'Murder Collection'. Simonetti seems to be doing a lot of re-recordings, but I find them lacking. Again, a bit too heavy metal in places. I love the Demoni main title track, but the rest of it's not great.

Goblin Rebirth and Goblin (Four of a kind) are the real thing for me!

I also recently got a copy of 'La Chiesa' by Goblin and Emerson, but it appears that Goblin was only Fabio Pignatelli. Still, it's pretty good.

BAM and Scope J like this.
  2. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Hi, nice to hear more opinion - I have been eyeing up that Simonetti/Demonia "Murder Collection", but haven't picked it up yet. After seeing how great the 2011 Goblin Rebirth live renditions of existing Goblin tracks sound, i'm not as opposed to a redux of the original material as I thought I would have been... although I would have LOVED a studio-recorded version of those live Aquaman and Snip-Snap performances in the '78 Sanremo concert. Snip Snap in particular, utterly destroys the studio version found on the Roller album. Love how in the live version they took the normal version, then dropped in a massive new section split into four separate solo sections, one for each member of the band. Phenomenal.

I've lost count of how many spins I've given the new Rebirth album, every single track on it is a winner. I keep changing my mind as to whats my favourite track - its Four of A Kind all over again! :) Currently, its Mysterium but if you were to ask me tomorrow...

As for La Chiesa - Lotte and LA Chiesa are brilliant tracks - more electronic/synthy in style, I think they are great.

I'm awaiting more Goblin vinyl to arrive. I have an original Cinevox Tenebre on its way, and also... not sure what to expect with this one - "Blue Frog ...and others". Found out about this one from the http://goblinweb.com/ fan site... what have I gotten myself into?! The first track from this is on Youtube and sounds very different, pretty catchy actually, so dont know what the rest of it is going t sound like :)

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Anyone know what album Yell is on? Or is it just a single?

4. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Yell was originally a single IIRC... however it definitely has turned up as an extra track on other albums, namely "Patrick" soundtrack LP. It is also on the French compilation LP "Les Meilleurs Musiques De Films Fantastiques". As for CD, pretty sure its on one of the six CDs of the Awakening box set.

5. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

I haven't followed all the thread, but what about Cherry Five album,
    AMG has the same album Cherry Five from Goblin and from Cherry Five band..

[​IMG]

6. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

There only ever was one album from Cherry Five, so I would have to make a complete guess and say they are one and the same... unless, its a release of the new Cherry Five live concert that took place recently (in Italian, needs google translate):

http://www.terradigoblin.it/cherry-five-goblin-rebirth-al-fim/

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I have Patrick on cd but Yell wasn't on it

8. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Yeah it seems only the LP version of Patrick had it - I don't own this yet so cant confirm, however I do own the French compilation LP which definitely does have it as the first track on side 2. I also have the Awakening box set and Yell is on the end of the Il Fantastico Viaggio Del Bagarozzo Mark CD in the form of a bonus track.

9. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Forum Resident

Yell is a single but the track is also included on:

AMO NON AMO (Cinevox MDF 33.126) 1979 LP

PATRICK (Cinevox MDF 33.133) 1979 LP

GREATEST HITS (Cinevox Orizzonte ORL 8305) 1979 LP

GREATEST HITS (Cinevox F 0002) 1987 CD

GOBLIN Les Meilleurs… (Polydor 2393 327) 1982 LP

GOBLIN VOLUME III 1978 – 1984 (DRG Movies 32924) 1998 CD

GOBLIN THE AWAKENING (Bella Casa Cherry Red Records CASA12BOX) 2012 6CD Box

izgoblin likes this.
  10. Red Goblin

I bought the special limited edition (100 copies) of the new Cherry Five CD ‘Il pozzo dei giganti. The album will be released by Black Widow in September (LP & CD).

Il pozzo dei giganti is a great album of progressive rock that would be counted among the masterpieces if published in the 70s..

Here is my review

http://goblinsettenoteinrosso.blogspot.it/2015/06/cherry-five-il-pozzo-dei-giganti.html

I’ve seen the band live in Genoa and they played ‘Il pozzo dei giganti’, ‘Manfredi’ plus ‘Country grave-yard’ from the 1974 LP. In the latter song the singer Tartarini was overwhelmed with emotion (and the same happened to me!).

11. Red Goblin

I completely agree, but the LP version does not play optimally, bad transfer (side 2 is better than side 1) and also the cover is a bit too dark.

12. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Oh dear, the LP sound quality issue you raised doesn't inspire me with confidence, as I impatiently await the arrival of my copy :(

Is your copy one of the PledgeMusic red vinyl copies, or one of the 400 purple Mondo copies? Wonder if they were different presses and if the issue affects both?

I guess it wont be too much longer before mine arrives - hopefully this week...

13. Red Goblin

Is one of the 500 'purple' marketed by Mondo / Death Waltz . I'm still waiting for the Pledger scarlett (and for my test pressing).

14. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - I will take that as a positive, hoping that the Abbey Road PledgeMusic red vinyl pressing is not plagued with any such issues - fingers crossed!!

15. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Well... speak of the Goblin, and he shall appear!! Not 15 mins ago, a knock at the door brought this:

[​IMG]

Spinning it now, currently working through Mousse Roll initial impressions are that it is cut a little quieter than average, but dynamics are good. The vinyl is flat and no issues with surface noise. Red transparency is about 20%. More later!

BAM :)

hi_watt, Scope J and Mr. H like this.
  16. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

OK, update... the vinyl is a winner. Sound quality is consistently good across both sides. Mastering/EQ seems nice and pleasing, leaning slightly to the warmer, bassier side. This definitely stands out to me because my audio chain is a bit on the brighter, leaner side, so when I notice deep bass from an LP, it really has to be generously cut/mixed in there :)

Its not completely flawless, side 2 is ever so slightly off-centre, there is a few mm of visible tonearm sway, but its minor enough that it doesn't impact the tracking or playback at all. Also, on side 1, I have two instances of about 5x repeat static/crackles. First one is between In The Name of Goblin and Mousse Roll. The second is at the end of Bon Ton. I was hoping a bunch of playthroughs would clean it up, but unfortunately not - I will just have to keep playing it :D Vinyl surface looks unblemished.

All in all, i'm very happy with this, really glad to finally have this album on vinyl - I will treasure it!

Now, if I can just find an original pressing of Etna that didnt cost the earth.... dreaming....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    izgoblin, marblesmike and Mr. H like this.
  17. Red Goblin

I'm glad you're happy with your 4K!

Blue frog... and others... is an easy listening instrumental album by keyboardist Nick Vincenti performed by Goblin as session musicians with also Nicola Distaso (from Libra) on the guitar, percussionist Mandrake and the string section of the Unione Musicisti di Roma. The first side of the album contains five original songs while side 2 contains rearrangements of famous songs . The album is well recorded, in my opinion alongside with "Profondo rosso" is one of 'Goblin' best sounding LP.

18. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Tenebre and Blue Frog arrived today :) Cant say i'm too impressed with the seller, very optimistic with their grading :( Still, they both sound really great - It never ceases to surprise and shock me how, whenever you hear a track you know very well, then hear it for the first time on vinyl... how is it possible that it's so noticeably better? Tenebre sounds fantastic...

Ha.. Blue Frog is in a very different style than the usual Goblin... light and happy, like elevator music lol... definitely not the dark and melodic style we all know and love, but then they didn't write this, so not surprised :) Hally Gator is pretty funky though... reminded me a little of Perché Si Uccidono. Definitely my fav, with the title track a close second.

I cant believe its already been just over a year since I started collecting Goblin, thought i'd post a pic of my progress so far :)

[​IMG]

A long way still to go!

Scope J and izgoblin like this.
  19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

This thread sure has been busy lately, so there is much I'd like to respond to. Pardon the multiple posts as I can't get multi-quote to work anymore.

The Cinevox Goblin "Ultimate Collection" 2-CD set does have some positives about it regarding sound quality. With few exceptions, they mostly used earlier masters (most of CD 1 was seemingly just lifted from the earlier comp "The Fantastic Journey of Goblin"). This means that most of the tracks are missing noise reduction, compression and smiley-faced EQ that certain "remasters" have. A large portion of this set sounds pleasing as a result.

HOWEVER, the typical laziness and poor (non-existent?) quality control comes into play here. You'll find yourself riding the volume levels on disc 2, as some tracks are much louder than others. And the Dawn of the Dead tracks are from the newer remaster I think, as they're loud and not pleasant. However, these tracks have never sounded as good on CD as they do on the CIAK reissue LP to me anyway.

I have more complaints about this set, including a skip during "Death Dies" and some really boneheaded track inclusions and omissions. But to me, there is no perfect Goblin collection out yet even though many compilations exist. (The most enjoyable, even if missing key tracks, is still the old French Polydor LP as far as I am concerned).

If you're a casual fan just looking to own a comp only, The Ultimate Collection will do. I feel like we'll never have a great compilation though unless somebody asks me or Red Goblin to put one together. :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Red Goblin, serj and BAM like this.
  20. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

It's the same album, but Cherry Five was an album recorded by an incarnation of the band before they were called Goblin. The real band name was Oliver, but for some very strange reason, Cinevox re-branded it as Cherry Five after Goblin became popular with Profondo Rosso. The music is excellent progressive rock with vocals, heavily inspired by British prog bands from the era. Highly recommended to fans of Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc.

21. serj

serj Forum Resident

izgoblin, great, thank you for this info. So, in terms of sound quality & the track list it's the best CD compilation on the market?

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Now I am curious. Goblin rejected the first one or two test pressings because of them being off-center and sent out the bad test pressing to pledgers who specifically ordered that. The red vinyl pledger copies were supposed to be fixed. That said, I didn't see a RE-1 or any indicator suggesting that it was recut, but maybe it wouldn't be there if it was simply a pressing issue. If after rejecting test pressings and finally accepting one there is still a problem, then there is something really wrong at the pressing plant they used.

I assume the Mondo disc used the same metal parts, but I wonder what pressing plant they used. This seems like an odd problem to follow through test pressings and two different commercial pressings given that someone involved with the band was keeping a keen eye on quality control.

EDIT: I read more carefully and see that BAM reports that though the red vinyl pressing is slightly off-center, it hardly causes a problem and he didn't notice it affecting sound quality. So maybe it's just the Mondo/Death Waltz version that has the issue.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Yes, even though I would argue that it's missing one key track ("Zombi") and I would have swapped out some really silly choices for much better ones, it covers their output well enough to give you the most important tracks and give you a fine overview of the band.

24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Tenebre blew my mind in how it differs from vinyl to CD. The bass is so much heavier and impactful on the LP. I've never heard a CD version that sounds anywhere near as good. I don't know if the LP just was cut/EQ'd so much better (my guess) or if the CD masters were compressed to de-emphasize the bass, but either way, the CDs don't do it justice.

As for Blue Frog, if you enjoy that, then you are surely a true fan! I like it myself, but as you can tell, there isn't much Goblin-related music that I don't like.

If you have not heard Schock by Libra yet, find that one next. Unfortunately vinyl will be very pricey, so grab a CD to hold you for now.

Ninjur likes this.
  25. serj

serj Forum Resident

Great! As i already have my favorite album "Non Ho Sonno" this 2 CD compilation will be Ok for me for the rest of catalogue. Although i like some of the Goblin 80's albums & could buy few of them in the future.