"Official" Residents Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Nov 3, 2009.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

[​IMG]

Scope J likes this.
  2. vince

3. vince

4. vince

[​IMG]

Scope J likes this.
  5. vince

6. vince

7. vince

8. vince

9. vince

Here's what she says:
    The Residents are my favorite band ever. I started listening to them in my first year of high school, so I think… yea, 4 years ago. But I’ve always been a huge fan of weird music. Before The Residents, I was a big fan of Primus (who actually introduced me to the Rez with their cover of “Constantinople”), and before Primus, I listened to this Brazilian dude named Rogério Skylab, and before Skylab, I liked The Beatles’ White Album, etc. etc. I’ve also always loved videogame music, especially the 16-bit era (some of my favorite video game OSTs include Earthbound, Dynamite Headdy, and the Classic Sonic trilogy).

Why? I don’t know why other people like weird music, but I like it because it’s fun. The mainstream music formula is so limited and small-minded that when you deviate from it, there’s so much to take in that it overwhelms the majority of people and it scares them off. But it’s so rewarding to stay. The possibilities are literally endless. That’s the beauty of self-expression.

Some people call weird music “pretentious.” My sister keeps saying this is “just a phase”, just like how my obsession with “Weird Al” Yankovic was a phase. I’ve tried, but I’ll never get her to understand that the difference between Weird Al and The Residents (and my corresponding obsessions with both) is so obvious that it shouldn’t even warrant an explanation: The Residents are an experience, a way of life. Weird Al is a comedian.

Often I take the time to draw people I really like. This here is a bunch of drawings I’ve done about The Residents, because I really like them. I’ve had as much fun drawing these as I’ve had listening to their music, and the music of various other artists that I also really like.

My love and admiration for The Residents only grows higher and higher. They’re the strongest role models I’ve ever had. This is my way of saying “thank you for your existence.”

10. vince

Just read what I posted!
    THIS ARTISTS' first year of high school was 4 YEARS AGO!
    ...HOPE FOR THE YOUTH?????
    Now, that puts a smile on my face... and a great way to bring in this new year!

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and acetboy like this.
  11. vince

acetboy likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apparently there is no longer an active group called The Residents, nor is there any longer a group called Randy, Chuck and Bob, the World's Greatest Residents Cover Band.

Going forward we are left with a group comprised of 4 totally anonymous individuals performing as The Real Residents.

13. vince

So... I finally got my muster together and wrote my question to HARDY/Charles!
    It goes:
    Good hello...
    I, Vincent Cannata, have decided to submit a question!

Would you be interested in telling us about YOUR experience with Mr. Phillip Lithman!
    You first interactions, musical and social....
    I ask because, thanks to the internet, I've noticed quite a few things that I would not have seen before:
    -Fellini's "Juliet Of The Spirits"
    -The Bonzo Dog- Doo-Dah Band '60's UK TV appearances
    -"The Faust Tapes"
    &
    -Can- "Tago Mago"

I'm wondering IF.... you, and your fellow artist FOUND these items before your recording career, OR
    did, perhaps, the young Mr. Lithman 'turn you on' to these items?

...or ... vise-versa?

AND, he WROTE BACK!:
    "I’ll add this to the future newsletter, but since we are buddies I thought I would give you a sneak response. Philip was obsessed with American blues. The things you mention were not much interest to him. He introduced me to Django."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    edenofflowers and Mr. H like this.
  14. vince

Not necessarily....
    the new 'material' is giving credit to Mr. Eric Drew Feldman....
    how MUCH he will be contributing... we don't know?

15. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

An isolated case. That's why I still don't have any hope for the youth any more than I have hope for humanity itself.
    But let's go back to the Residents.

As I understand, wasn't that the point of the anonymity thing? The concept of Residents being separated and independent from the real people behind it?
    Theoretically, they could be the Doctor Who of music. But it won't happen.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I wasn't critiquing the newly once again anonymous Residents, I was just running with the concept

17. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I just received my copy of the Klang Galerie Disfigured Night.
    I'm disappointed to see that for the audio they used the same mp3 files that
    were originally sold by the RSD back in 2009.
    It's a nice package but it's lossy. You would think they could have access to the original recordings.

18. vince

Mine seems to have gotten lost in the mail... I wrote to Klang, and have another one on the way.

19. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Bummer.

I like your kitty. He reminds me of my dearly departed Butters.
    They look like litter mates!

20. vince

NEW BOBCUK NEWSLETTER!
    He ever printed MY question to him!
    Q. My question is based on Bobuck's interest in 'dance music'..... inspirations, and, perhaps, your motivations for said music?

So you have noticed that Bobuck likes to groove at times. It was Bobuck who said, "Disco will never die," because he and I agree that people will always want to shake their lower extremities. The reason comes down to basic sex, not the fancy kind of sex either, the smelly kind. Music and dancing have, throughout history, been a couple. Even a baby will start dancing when it hears a beat. It seems to be a natural response to music so why deny it.

Inspirations. Wow, so easy. Let's start with with the Staying Alive guys, the Bee Gees. Toss in some MJ, Donna Summer and Barry White and you have Bobuck loosening his clothes and onto the dance floor in an instant.

Bobuck is moved by any groove. For instance, a couple of decades ago upon hearing Jaipong from West Java, he flew to Bandung, Indonesia to meet the creator, Gugum Gabira. Bobuck makes as good a fan-boy as the rest of us.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaipongan

21. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I really enjoy these Newsletters! Great interview in this one.
    I just went ahead and ordered the Eggs for Breakfast cd.

citizensmurf and Scope J like this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

24. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

Doors, stepped through. Thanks for the heads up.

Scope J likes this.
  25. vince

Sounds good!
    It's got my approval!

Scope J likes this.