Official Unplugged releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by count.d, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. count.d

count.d Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm a little confused as to what is an official release of Unplugged concerts.

I'm interested in Sting, Guns n Roses, REM, Paul Simon, Phil Collins, Elton John, Chris Issak and Bryan Adams.

Were any of these released on official vinyl or cd (preferably vinyl)?

2. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

As far as I know, and that ain't much, so there is the possibility there might be other releases, the Bryan Adams is the only one that was "officially" released by an artists and their respective record label. I have it and it doesn't sound bad. Some of the others that you asked about do exist as boots and I am stating that for information purposes only. If any of the others exist officially I would like to know also.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

A number of Unplugged performances by Sting and REM have shown up as bonus tracks on various import CD singles. I don't recall ever seeing any legit releases by the other artists you mention, but they may be out there.

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I don't recall there ever being an actual GNR unplugged performance on MTV. There is obviously the Lies Lies Lies CD with 4 acoustic cuts. There is also a bootleg out there that has unplugged versions of those 4 cuts and a few others. I think one is "Dead Flowers" by The Stones.

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I believe one song from Elton's performance appeared on the officially released Unplugged Volume 1 compilation.

6. count.d

All the artists in my first post appear on the two "Very Best of Unplugged" cd's. I have been searching for whole Unplugged albums by these artists.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Just:
    Bryan Adams
    Sting (home video only)
    The artists (except for Bryan Adams and Sting) you mentioned have not officially released any Unplugged CD's. You can download a lot of it off of the internet (Kazaa Lite, Grokster, etc) or by boots. If you go to amazon.com and type in unplugged most of the Unplugged CD's will come right up if you are looking for other artists you haven't mentioned.

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

That's right--"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" is on that collection.

9. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I believe only one song from REM's MTV Unplugged broadcast was commercially released--"Love Is All Around," on the "This Film Is On" video.

Mark

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Anyone know why they never released the Stevie Ray Unplugged show. I remember it being very impressive.

12. Mike

Mike New Member

I could be wrong here, but Annie Lennox had a bunch of live songs spread across the b-sides of a 3 part UK cd single. Wasn't this an Unplugged? The singles are not accesible to me now.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

14. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Mike, Music Machine went bankrupt a year ago. Skip from Yesterday & Today bought all his remaining vinyl. I'm surprised that MM's web site still exists.

15. Mike

Mike New Member

:D That's what's so frustrating about the net, I think I found a goldmine but it is only iron pyrite - fools gold! Yesterday, I thought I found a bunch of out of print cd's at www.jazsound.com, but when I called they didn't have any of them in stock. :mad: The hunt continues ... :D

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Don't forget that Paul McCartney's Unplugged performance was released as an "Official Bootleg" CD about twelve years ago. Darn fine show, as well.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

count.d, there are some videos if you are interested.

(do a searcch for "MTV unplugged" on amazon or bn)

The Rhino release of Elvis Costello's Might Like A Rose lists the following as "unplugged" versions:
    The Other Side Of Summer (unplugged version)

Deep Dark Truthful Mirror (unplugged version)

Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over) (unplugged version)

I haven't picked this one up yet, so I am assuming that "unplugged' means MTV unplugged.

18. tim_neely

This is probably not a complete list, but here are some of the "Unplugged" episodes that have been legitimately issued, with the year of release. If I know of a vinyl version I'll indicate it.

Bryan Adams -- 1997
    Alice in Chains -- 1996
    Arrested Development -- 1993
    Babyface -- 1997
    Tony Bennett -- 1994
    Mariah Carey -- 1992
    Eric Clapton (vinyl: import only) -- 1992
    Dashboard Confessional -- 2002
    Bob Dylan (vinyl) -- 1995
    Fantastichen Vier -- 2000
    Charly Garcia -- 1995
    Lauryn Hill -- 2002
    Jay-Z -- 2001
    Kiss (vinyl) -- 1996
    Illya Kuryaki and the Valderra -- 2001
    La Ley -- 2001
    Mana -- 1999
    Maxwell -- 1997
    Paul McCartney (vinyl) -- 1993
    Alanis Morrisette -- 1999
    Nirvana (vinyl) -- 1994
    Ratones Paranoicos -- 2001
    Alejandro Sanz -- 2001
    Shakira -- 2000
    Soda Stereo -- 1996
    Bruce Springsteen (vinyl; import only) -- 1993 UK/ 1997 US
    Rod Stewart (vinyl: import only) -- 1993
    10,000 Maniacs -- 1994
    Uptown record label -- 1993
    Neil Young (vinyl: import only) -- 1993

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Geez, Tim, I haven't even heard of half of those bands!:laugh:

20. tim_neely

Me neither! Evidently, the Spanish-language version of MTV also has "Unplugged"... The Shakira volume might be interesting, because that's from when she was still singing in Spanish.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The list here:

TV Tome - MTV Unplugged

differs from the one above.

Does anyone rememebr the very first season? It was a very informal show with Jules Shear hosting. Oh, "the good old days"
    (oops, wrong thread) :)

22. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I used to have a tape of the Satriani/Vaughan appearance, but it has since disappeared.

It's funny seeing all the 80s metal bands on there (Ratt, Winger, Great White). I SWEAR I remember seeing a commercial for a Motley Crue Unplugged and it never aired. I could be imagining things, but this was when Motley was at their peak and could have easily done one of them (whether it would be good or not is a different story). Amazing how NONE of these performances end up on the comp CDs. Not cool enough I guess.

Though many here might disagree, Tesla actually started (not created unplugged rock of course) the early 90s Unplugged phenomenon. I remember WAAF in Boston playing their unplugged version of "Signs" recorded in the station studio a million times a day, BEFORE they even recorded the acoustic CD. Even this review of the acoustic CD mentions it was a predecessor of it all:

Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam

23. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

You will find one song on Unplugged vol. 1 and there's an excerpt on the boxed set but aside from that and precious few airings, that episode is scarce! Another fine and hard to find episode is the Elvis Costello unplugged. I have it on video from what I believe was it's only airing. Any idea why this one only aired one time? It was very cool--I think it was done around the time of Mighty Like A Rose. Elvis has his MLAR beard and plays "So Like Candy" among other tunes. This was a particularly short episode--only around 20 minutes tops but very great!

24. I remember seeing the Sting Unplugged concert on laser disc and wondered why there was no matching CD release. A & M could have put out a special limited editon CD similar to what EMI did with the Paul McCartney and Sony with the Springsteen.

25. count.d

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.