OJC vinyl reissue question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyltimm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Pretty much all of these newer, recut digitally sourced OJCs are like that. I wish they had updated info on them too. The worst part is, record buyers in the future will be even more confused when these start showing up in the used bins years from now.

e.s. likes this.
  2. max_samhain

max_samhain Forum Resident

I've read so many threads on OJCs and never heard anything definitive about the recent pressings. I almost avoided to buy them as I hear bad talk about them here in the forum, now I got me my first recent OJC, a 2008 pressing of Bill Evans "Sunday live at the Village Vanguard" just because the older OJC-press is not that easy to get anymore.
    It was a big surprise, the vinyl is flat and clean and the sound is fantastic! Cant compare to another version of this album but I wouldnt say that my other George Horn-made OJCs sound better.
    Did they use the old metal parts?

Biff Jones and 2xUeL like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

GH has cut some of the new OJC pressings as well as the old ones. In some cases they are cut in-house at pressing plants or by Well Made Music, or by Anne Marie Suenram.

In the vast majority of cases with newer OJCs, no. Whether they did with this particular record you're talking about, not sure. Post the matrix and we can look at it. Keep in mind OJC matrices on Discogs are often incomplete, mixed up, or flat out wrong.

4. max_samhain

Thanks,
    the matrix of my record is OJC-140 A4; OJC-140 B4

it looks exatcly like this Bill Evans Trio* Featuring Scott La Faro* - Sunday At The Village Vanguard
    but as you said, I dont know if the matrix on discogs is right.

5. max_samhain

by the way: the german mikulski OJC from 1984 has the same matrix (according to discogs)
    some people sayd that the german OJCs were all cd-sourced but there werent any OJC cds then..

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I think what people were saying is that the old German OJCs use copy tapes or some type of 16/44 digital copy master. Not that someone was literally ripping a CD and then cutting a lacquer. Digital recording and mastering were well underway by '84.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That doesn't tell me much. You'll need to find someone that has the U.S. 80s OJC and see if they can share the matrix with you. With many of the newer OJCs, at least the ones made for the US market and pressed here, there is more info than you posted and it is easier to see what is going on there.

8. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

OJC 140 [scratched out 'B'?] A1 P GH
    OJC 140 B2 P GH

patient_ot likes this.
  9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I just bought this record as well. I think it sounds fine, although I'm not in a position to compare it to any other pressing. It is nicely pressed on fairly heavy vinyl, and came in one of those plastic innersleeves like Music Matters uses, suggesting it may have been pressed at RTI(?). I would also add that this record is currently available on Amazon for $11.58 (for Prime members).

More generally, I have several other of these later pressings and have been happy enough with them. I'm an opportunistic buyer and grab them when they appear for under $15.

10. max_samhain

Thank you! According to Discogs there are two OJC-Presses. Yours A1/B1 and another with A4/B4 and withoug GH

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

My copy is A/4 B/4 without the initials of GH

12. max_samhain

Hi,
    thank you! My runout only reads A4; B4 without the / . So it's not the same metal work I guess...
    Anyway, the record sounds great.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

And again!!

14. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

And again what?

15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think ( and I tread lightly here) that our host is tired of repeating himself in stating that the ORG ‘s are all Analogue cut

However as others have expressed there is somewhat of a concensus amongst many here that by the late 1980s the reissues had switched to digital. I too have never heard a definitive opinion on this and if our host has commented on these later reissues I have not seen it.

But like Steve I too am exhausted by the topic and generally avoid reading posts on this (but I got sucked into this vortex today again.) :sweating:

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I believe what Steve says, but a lot of people seem to be confused about the newer OJC pressings in the shops and the old ones from the 80s and 90s. As some of us here have figured out, the new ones are mostly different from the old pressings. They don't use the same metalwork and have been recut by different engineers. In at least a few cases, we know those recuts are digital. A casual record shopper might not notice the difference between the old pressings and the new ones because there are still a few NOS Fantasy-era OJCs out there and the new ones aren't labeled as new ones. These new pressings also show up in the used bins sometimes, further adding to the confusion. The best advice I can give is that if the record is pressed at a defunct plant, you've got an old OJC. If it's pressed at Rainbo, United, or RTI, it's a new one and likely from a new cut and not old metalwork. There are rare exceptions where old metalwork was re-used on these new pressings, but these are mostly recuts.

jasonsouza77, nosliw and oldjollymon like this.
  17. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Maybe, but you won't know for certain until you receive the records, crack them open, and read the deadwax info.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  19. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

20. jasonsouza77

one poster mentioned that he got his ordering a regular ojc vinyl copy on amazon. that's why I thought the current ones selling on the sites are with the dcc stampers. thanks

patient_ot likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It may well be, but I learned not to trust Concord Music Group on anything anymore after the crap they are pulling with the OJC catalog and other labels' catalogs they own. At least with Amazon you can send the record back if you crack it open and it's not what you want. Good luck returning an opened record to AS if you do that.

I got my copies of the DCC stamper versions of TM and SC by simply buying the Newbury Comics' colored vinyl editions. These were pressed in a limited number and all copies of them are DCC KG/SH stampers. You can probably find sealed copies for sale on Discogs or eBay.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  22. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

+1 for the Newbury editions - they’re excellent, and a sure way to get those pressings without having to gamble!

jasonsouza77 and patient_ot like this.
  23. jasonsouza77

thank you for this tip. yes I did visit their site but they were all out. ill try ebay or discogs

24. jasonsouza77

yes I agree jerry. thanks for yr advice

25. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

This is the Amazon listing for Tenor Madness which at the time of purchase in August 2012 was the SH/KG:

Tenor Madness

jasonsouza77 likes this.