OK-- I don't often get to announce something really rare, but here goes...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Gary:

Actually, yes-- the "report" that includes the Beatles' performance footage is included in the 3-disc set anthology of Paar material currently available through Shout! Factory. The set largely showcases material from the later Friday night show, although there is some "Tonight Show" footage included. The selections (including a few programs in their entirety, minus commercials) are delightful, but unfortunately, all of the footage in the set is sourced from kinescopes, as no actual tapes (other than the one that I just located) are currently known to exist.

-Kevin

2. Joel Cairo

And for the record, thanks to a dedicated TV Guide collector, I now have a date for **this** tape-- it's an excerpt of the last half-hour of the 12/2/59 "Jack Paar Show", which also featured Peggy Cass, Charley Weaver and Buddy Hackett, as well as Carl Reiner.

Ahh, the power of the internet!! :D

-Kevin

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Niiiiice, Kevin!

Evan

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh: :laugh:

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Great, but are there any plans to make a DVD available of this show? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Also, I know the Early Carson shows were BROADCAST in color, but was it VIDEOTAPED in color? That I would doubt. The only reason they videotaped in those days was for reruns and with most of the NBC affiliates not having color equipment, it seems likely that they would have gone the B&W route. Certainly, all the Carson tapes I've seen from 1963/64 are all B&W and they look like videotape and not kinnies.
    I believe there are color vids for 1965 in NBCs vault.

I remember reading about a year ago that someone in Alaska, I think, has 8mm movie footage shot off the tv set of Carsons 2nd night. And, the audio of Carsons first 10 shows DOES exist, recorded via line by a TV repairman into a Wollensak reel to reel recorder.
    The very first show starts with Groucho Marx coming onstage to introduce Johnny.

6. Joel Cairo

Well, I just found out what it was on Friday, Mikey, so you'll have to give me a chance to make the deal... :)

I'm thinking at this point that it's most likely that the footage will get licensed as a DVD extra by **someone**... if there's ever an authorized collection of Red's CBS material, it's a possibility, there... but I haven't contacted the estate yet.

Of course, if anyone else wants to license the footage from me (and then clear all the appearance and intellectual property rights themselves), they're welcome to contact me!

-Kevin

(And Carson's shows were indeed videotaped by the network in **color**... even the early ones, according to my unimpeachable source.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.