Ok, I love Bowie's 80's music. Who else does on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erocky, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapman

Chapman Member

Given its context, I don't find it all that offensive.

"Shining Star" featuring the not-so-shining-star Mickey Rourke and the horrible cover of the horrible to begin with "God Only Knows" - that I cannot defend.

2. 30 years(!) later, and it's stll an earworm :D

drasil and Texastoyz like this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

You cannot defend the indefensible. Two absolutely rock-bottom examples of why many shy away from this period in Bowie's career.

In the immortal words of Moe the bartender: "Aw jeez, Homah..."

D.D.

Chapman likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

In my top 5 all time Bowie tracks!!! A masterpiece for sure!!

davers, Maurice, PH416156 and 2 others like this.
  5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The song itself is good, have to divorce it from the visuals! :)

6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

But the majority of the album was recorded in 1989, which for me belongs to the eighties...

7. MHP

Aside from your personal opinions about his value as an artist, which I don't at all agree with, I'll stick with answering your question about 'Reality': It was released in 2003 and are generally viewed as an album with mixed results. You will find far more fans of the album released before it, called 'Heathen'. That album is often viewed as his latter-day masterpiece.

e.s. and SuntoryTime like this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The only Bowie album I physically own is Let's Dance, so I guess...count me in!

9. MHP

I really do hope you have much more interesting things to do in your life, than flipping over goalposts! Come on, man!

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Not to nitpick; but "Black tie white noise" was released in the 90s. Great album btw :)

drasil likes this.
  11. Chapman

Chapman Member

But let's not forget: Bowie rules regardless :)

SuntoryTime likes this.
  12. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Arbitrary I know but IMO it's more about record labels than firm dates. His EMI/Virgin/MCA records are what I consider his '80's work and I think stylistically seem to go together. Baal doesn't count (regardless of release/recording date) as it belongs to RCA (70's)

So.... Scary Monsters is most definitely '70's album and Tin Machine II a 90's album just because the London/Victory label.

13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If I see that one at a yard sale for a buck I will pick it up and check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

MHP likes this.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like Let's Dance and Tonight.

15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I think his vocal performances were much better than in his early days. He was also capable of writing good songs, but it's often the production that really spoiled them. For example Absolute Beginners and Time Will Crawl are two awesome songs. The remix of TWC from 2008 really shows that it is a strong song that has initially been poorly produced.

16. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

Scary Monsters is one of the finest rock albums ever recorded, in my humble opinion. 1980 was an incredible year for music. Some people consider SM a 70s record, but it was released in September 1980, so it counts.

Mother likes this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My daughter was obsessed with this movie. Watched it repeatedly. Drove me crazy.

drasil likes this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I totally agree that "80's Bowie" encompasses Let's Dance through TMII. Sonically as well as thematically, it just makes too much sense.

That said, I came of age with Bowie in the 80's and Tonight resonates with me much more than the hardcore Bowie fan from the 70's. Loving The Alien is an absolute highlight of the 80's, not to mention his career. Don't Look Down combines an urbane/reggae grove into a very respectable tune. God Only Knows, how can you argue with a cover of one of the greatest songs of all time and actually having the chops to pull it off? Tonight continues with a bit of that island groove (theme of influence going on here???). Neighborhood Threat is a rocker with a fire that exceeds everything on the entire album. Blue Jean, a quintessential single. Tumble and Twirl...the island resurfaces in a good way. I happen to like this tune a lot and could imagine it simply ripping in a live context (I only have seen Bowie once, the Sound & Vision tour, and I doubt he played this one). I Keep Forgettin', not so much. Dancing With The Big Boys, a bombastic closer to an album of mixed bombastic-ness. A terrific song nonetheless.

If there is one criticism of the album that I have, it is that it is not particularly cohesive with the rockers sitting amongst the sunny grooves.

I find it odd that Iggy Pop has co-writing credits on nearly half the album, in both aforementioned styles for that matter. It didn't help the album to flow, that's for sure. Still, this is a Bowie album that I treasure. Maybe not as go-to as others but still of remarkable quality, especially when considering the time when it was conceived.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    richard a likes this.
  19. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I like all his eighties output except for NLMD. The "Glass Spider" (track, not the tour) was a complete embarrassment, it sounded bad/dated/kitsch/self aware the very day it was released.

I play "Tonight" all the time, as though it were new.

20. Hiptobesquare

Hiptobesquare Active Member

Scary Monsters and Let's Dance are great. I also have a soft spot for Tonight, which I bought on release day expecting LD 2! Never Let Me Down I play occasionally, though I find it a bit long winded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.