OK, so I hated the "What's Goin' On" remaster...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

While I was wondering about picking up the DE of What's goin on, a friend gave me the usual remastered CD (done by Kevin Reeves) and I absolutely hated it. I can't explain what's wrong with the sound but it just... doesn't breath if you know what I mean and also obviously has some weird EQ a-la Stevie Wonder remasters. While I really enjoyed Ellen Fiton's DE of I want you I can't force myself to buy this one. But maybe there is some other, old CD edition that I will probably love since I hated this one? :confused:

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

the Gavin Lurssen remaster

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Get the one from 1993, the one that came in a slipcase. It has just the album, no bonus tracks. That's the one for me.

4. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Wait, does the "usual" remastered CD use the same mastering as the original mix on the DE? The DE is worth it alone for the original "Detroit Mix," also mastered by Kevin Reeves. IMO, he did a damn good job on the Detroit Mix. Not a sonic marvel, but unusually good by Kevin Reeves standards (I've come to associate him with ear-bleed treble and ear-bleed levels). It's surprisingly smooth, maybe just a tad boosted in the treble, but nothing near his usual tricks. I can't comment on the original mix, since I didn't even bother to listen to it.

Ale200 likes this.
  5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

That's the one for me, too, sound-wise. Of course I still enjoy the Deluxe Edition version, too, because of the alternate "Detroit mix" of the album.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

All of the remasers sound quite good to me. I also recommend the DE.

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Get the old with no bonus tracks. The booklet says Gavin Lurssen is the mastering engineer and there's a note about 20-bit mastering if that means anything. I'm not a big fan of most Deluxe Editions. They're nice for collectors but if you're not a diehard fan they can be overkill.

I'm not crazy about the Detroit mix of What's Going On. It sounds like a monitor mix or a rough mix.

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Another vote for this one because of the Detroit Mixes.

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

With your kind indulgence, I once again cite Incognito's Law:

The sound quality of a given release will always be inversely proportional to the comprehensiveness of its content. *Always*. :sigh:

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's the Detroit mix?

11. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

:laugh:

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

It was the original mix for the album, mixed in Detroit where the album was recorded. Marvin took the multitracks with him to LA when he flew out there to do a movie (I think) and the album was remixed. This remix became the officially released version. The "Detroit" mix sat unissued until the Deluxe Edition came out. They are very different - the Detroit mix is more gritty - less "dreamy" if you will.

13. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Btw, there's a great book by Ben Edmonds called Marvin Gaye: What's Going On and the Last Days of the Motown Sound. It's a must-read if you are a fan of this album.

14. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Another vote for the Lurssen. I have a Japanese version from around 1996 that uses this, and I have been happy with it.

15. chetatkins

chetatkins New Member

I've owned the DE since the tuesday that it came out, I cant say that It's better then the vinyl but it does have some great pictures of the session boxes, I have to admit that got me off more then the mix of the album itself. If you really want some gems, check out the I want you DE and listen to the second disc with the bongas and the voices only. it's a treat

16. I am on the complete opposite side of the coin than Grant. This cd is a serious ear-bleeder for me. Dynamically flat a a pancake. The mids and highs pushed up to ridiculous levels.

Comparisons between the DE and the Stevie Wonder remasters are accurate though - bacause the SW discs are AWFUL too. Never have I heard art butchered this severely in the name of commerce.

Compare "I Beleive When I Fall In Love" from the 'High Fidelity' soundtrack, or the video, or from the original cd, or even my beat-up vinyl copy to the 24-bit remaster of 'Talking Book'. The label should be forced to reimburse every one who bought that atrocity, me included. I was and still am furious at how shoddy the Motown remasters sound.

17. Please sell it to me at a reasonable markup!

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That is my FAVORITE Stevie Wonder song. I have only heard it on the remaster and in no other fashion. It sounds great to me. What is so much better about it on the other mediums?

19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I was pleased with the Deluxe Edition but this is the only version of the album I have.

20. Grant

But, the sound quality of it is FANTASTIC!

21. Grant

I haven't listened to the DE for awhile, but I like it because it sounds quite smooth and even. It sounds very much like the other versions.

22. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

Myself, i wouldn't know where to start when talking about anything Reeves touches, except that it has to be something like James Brown's-Live at the Apollo Volume 2 Deluxe Edition, where i have no other choice....

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I prefer the Lurssen mastered issue for the original album, but this description is really more correct IMO for the live concert on disc 2 of the What's Going On DE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.