Okki Nokki RCM makes me hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by laughalot, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just come home from a friend. He had on trial an Okki Nokki RCM. I am immpressed enough to place an order for one first thing tommorrow morning. We cleaned some albums by hand and some with the Okki Nokki. Whilst the ones by hand did come out clean the procedure is tedious, whilst the albums cleaned with the Okki Nokki came out pristine, dry and ready to play, more than that it didnt take more than 3 minutes to clean both sides of an album. I am truly humbled by this machine and take back all negative comments and or thoughts I ever had about a RCM

ceedee and ssmith3046 like this.
  2. Soundproof

Soundproof Member

The Okki Nokki is basically the Clearaudio much more expensive model, with another name. It runs both directions, which the VPI 16.5 doesn't.

Do two passes. One with the cleaning solution to dissolve muck, using the brush. Leave the solution on, then use a pristine microfiber cloth against the record as it rotates, sucking up the solution. (The Audiodesk Ultrasound cleaner uses microfiber brushes, to do the same).

New layer of solution, to release remaining muck, then suck that up with the vacuum.

Finito.

Even has an automatic switch off when the tank is too full. Empty tank and you're ready to go again.

3. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I applaud the courage to post your findings. I've had a VPI for over a dozen years and can't imagine being without it. I'm certain many folks are successful with their manual cleaning methods but they need to A/B them as you've done to be certain for themselves.

OldCoder and Lownote30 like this.
  4. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

What is the reason for rotating the record in both directions? I have never understood how that would help.

5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Works better for left handers. :D

6. laughalot

It certainly cant harm. The theory that we came up with is that dirt may be lodged in a groove with a point in one direction. rotating in the same direction as the dirt would tend to flaten it where as rotating in the oposite direction might just lift it out of the groove. Just our conjecture

ceedee likes this.
  7. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

If you are using the rotating platter as a base while holding the cleaning brush stationary, you would be able to agitate any debris in the grooves from both directions, resulting in a more thorough cleaning. I don't believe vacuuming in one direction is more efficient than the other.

With my VPI 16.5 I need to scrub the LP in both directions with the Disc Doctor pads to accomplish this.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'll try that two pass method. It would be better to use the micro fibre cloth than using the vacuum for both passes.

I love my Okki. I had one in the UK and managed to find one after moving back to Canada. Their website isn't very good and my emails went largely ignored. Well totally ignored actually. lol. But I found one eventually. They are great value for money and the new version, JB1 I think, is an improvement on the first version. The new version is lighter, quieter and cleans better IMO.

Eddi

9. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

OK, thanks!

When you are on your second scrub (the, um, other direction) do you just turn off the platter and push the brush across the grooves?

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Sounds good! I just might get one of those!

11. laughalot

As a life long sceptic of RCM's I have to say this is truley an awsome machine. Dont have anything other RCM'S to compare it to however at $450 (or the cost of about 20 decent albums) this is a good investment

12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That's cool...

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Okki Nokki RCM

What is it?

Is it a robot Royal Canadian Mountie?

BigGame, dconsmack and Urban Spaceman like this.
  14. laughalot

I like your sense of humour but just in case you are being serious (which I doubt)

15. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Unknown

Jeff57 likes this.
  16. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

I've had my Okki since June of last year and it makes a huge improvement in my vinyl listening experiences.

One thing I find though, is that after letting the vacuum run approximately 2.5 revolutions, there is so much static instilled into the vinyl that I also have to give a few slow squeezes with the Milty Zerostat to neutralize it. Otherwise, it's the bees knees ('cos I didn't know if one could say ' dog's bollocks ' in the forum) :wave:

note to Steve H: would that then make the fluid RCM Pee ?

17. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

The Okki Nokki is basically the same machine as the discontinued Clearaudio Smart Matrix, the replacement (Smart Matrix Professional) is a much improved and updated RCM built at the Clearaudio factory. It is a significantly more expensive RCM than the Okki Nokki but is most likely a significantly better machine.

That being said, I have used an Okki Nokki RCM for close to a year and I am 100% happy with it. I borrowed an admittedly beat up VPI 16.5 for a short time and wasn't thrilled with it so I decided to try out the Okki Nokki and thought it was the better, quieter and more efficient machine. The price has gone up $100 since I bought mine but that's supply and demand for you. In defense of the VPI, had I tried out a new one that didn't have significant damage to the case (water leakage) and wasn't so loud I may have been 100% happy with it instead. It is also built in the USA which is a plus.

Honestly though, any decent RCM is easily the biggest single improvement you can make to a vinyl front end in my experience.

18. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

He's joking! From his past comments, he doesn't want posters to use abreviations in thread titles. Such as RCM vs. record cleaning machine:agree:

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I've been using an Okki Nokki RCM with the AIVS system since August, and the two together do an excellent job cleaning records.

20. laughalot

Placed my order this morning. Unit will be her end of February

21. Soundproof

Soundproof Member

Must be why the user manual clearly states one should only use two revolutions, in order to avoid static build-up.

:righton:

22. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Don't know if any of you are doing this, but I tend to clean in one direction and then rinse in the opposite direction.

Or, on a very dirty record, clean with heavy duty cleaner in one direction, then the reverse for the second cleaning.

Your thoughts?

23. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I go both directions for clean and rinse.

I only let the vacuum go for about 1.5 revs. For residual moisture I use a fine microfiber cloth for one rev (the kind you can get in automotive stores for cleaning windshields).

24. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

The wording in the USA April 2011 version of the manual, as provided by Sumiko, reads 'Two revolutions are normally sufficient and recommended to suck up all the fluid - any more may damage your records'.

In some cases there is still residual fluid patches on the disc and it takes an extra turn or 2 to completely dry the album. Now, granted I'm still working on my fluid application technique so hopefully I can get the job done in two twists.

Even in cases where it's taken 2 revs to dry the album there's static instilled, tho'.

25. laughalot

Static can be disapated and will not harn a stylys. Dirt on tghe other hand....................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.