Okki Nokki RCM makes me hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by laughalot, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

Simple, spread the water with the brush in the normal position and it will start to pool in the middle. Take the brush (I use the ON brush for rinsing) and place it sideways directly with and in the pool of water so that the entire brush is wetted, then twist it while on the record back to the normal brushing position. The water will now cover the entire surface.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Micke Lindahl likes this.
  2. Only in the first 6 months. For the remainder of the 2 years, the customer has to prove that the item was already defective when it was bought.

3. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

My Okki Nokki is due to arrive today, I am very excited! I've been using a Knosti Disco Anti-Stat (similar to the Spin Clean) for just over a year and have gotten mostly good results, but I figured it was time to step things up a notch. Looking forward to comparing the Knosti with the ON and speeding up my cleaning time!

5. Lashing

Lashing Well-Known Member

I built my own VPI clone

Anyone seriously playing vinyl MUST have a RCM. There is no way to get fine playback of a dirty LP and rubbing with alcohol and a cloth doesnt remove anything.

I don't know why, but many amateur record dealers like you see doing the show circuit insist on rubbing dirt around with a rag and that just crushes the filth into the crush and then solidifies it with the alcohol. Making it tougher to clean later. Thus why record show records can look fine but have tremendous surface noise.

But then there is a whole crowd of people using Crosley "turntables" and playing CD's cut to vinyl and thinking they've joined a movement. Its sad really. The whole reason CD's took over is the work involved with vinyl. That work is worth it to me and very very necessary. Without true analog recorded albums, a GOOD turntable and RCM - you have not experienced vinyl.

DeRosa likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

CDs didn't take over because of the work involved with vinyl. The vast majority of consumers didn't do the work necessary to care for them anyway. CDs took over because the music industry wanted a new profit stream, and marketed them as "perfect sound forever." The gullible consumer bought it hook, line and sinker, and gleefully payed double the price for CDs. I was in the record/hifi business then (mid-80s) and I didn't buy it. I kept my vinyl and my analog playback system. I knew collectors who sold their entire vinyl collections to repurchase a small fraction of them as crappy and lifeless sounding CDs.

But I agree with your points otherwise, about proper care.

Summerisle and Gumboo like this.
  7. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

This was my first choice in a RCM. Availability in the US is non existent. VPI I ruled out due to numerous issues with them. I've had a Music Hall for a while now and love it. No issues, doesn't overheat even after many in a row or extended cleaning of the vinyl. While a $100 more than a VPI 16.5 comparing them side by side shows in non subtle fashion the quality difference between the two.

Good luck to you all with your ON's!

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been using my Okki Nokki for almost two years and love it. It takes a few cleaning sessions to get your own cleaning technique down. I didn't care for the brush that came with the ON so I went with the Osage Audio brush and it has served me well for a long time now. I buy a lot of new records or used ones in good condition so I like the one step Formula 6 from AIVS. Works great for my needs. Enjoy your Okki Nokki.

Robert C likes this.
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So far so good! I'm sticking with the ON supplied brush and fluid for now and have been happy with the results so far, I think I might check out a different brush in the future though. I bought the 7" arm which works nicely.
    The only real niggle I'm having so far is that occasionally the vacuum arm pops up before I've turned it off (I.e. half way through a vacuum cycle). Anyone else experienced that?
    The motor is quiet, the unit is reassuringly heavy. All the records I've cleaned so far look like round black mirrors now! It is especially good a removing the thin layer of 'cloud' you get on some pressings.
    Sonically, there's definitely an added sense of clarity gained with records I've cleaned on the ON and the backgrounds seem quieter.
    More to come!

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. ssmith3046

11. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident

LOL this is exactly my setup. decided on the osage brush - use the the aivs 6 too. i find i get really good results with this setup. the only thing i have started doing is when i finish a cleaning session i dump about 4oz of water down the vacuum arm hole and then slosh it around for a minute or so and then empty it. the first time i did this the amount of stuff that came out was amazing. now i just get mainly what was removed and maybe a few bits here and there that might have been stuck in the tank.

Robert C likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Good advice. It might have been you that posted something similar previously on this forum but who ever posted it, I took that advice. I thought I was doing a good job just by emptying the tank after a cleaning session but it really does help to keep it clean by rinsing it out. I was thinking of using a water/vinegar mix.

Robert C likes this.
  13. ssmith3046

Great advice. As the post above suggest a water and vinegar mix might be a good idea. I always empty the contents of the vacuum tank into a bowl after a cleaning session and even after cleaning new records only I'm always amazed at how much junk there is floating around in that bowl. I think I must have tried all the one step cleaners available and found that the AIVS Formula 6 worked the best for me.

14. _rod_serling_

I used the hot water/vinegar mix the first time to help kill whatever was lurking in there. The reason i started doing this was when i first used the machine and only cleaned a few records i always had some fluid drain out when cleanup time came. Then in later cleaning sessions , even longer sessions (15-20 records) i was getting almost no fluid afterwards. the gunk had been building and i believe growing and absorbing water in the tank. Now I just use water and each time i rinse i get less stuff so I think its working.

15. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

You just pour it down the hole or you also activate the suction?

16. _rod_serling_

just pour it down the hole and then i tilt the machine slightly in every direction to guarantee that the water touches everything in there.

17. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Ok, I'll try that :)

Here's how Okki looks inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eddiel and Robert C like this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I noticed they changed the foam inside the machine. My version, the one before this, has thick felt instead of the egg shell style foam. I've been thinking of getting some of the egg shell foam and inserting that in there to see if it lowers the volume when in vacuum mode.

19. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

How does the suction work? Seems like it sucks out the air from the whole water compartment?

20. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

What are the best brushes to use for multi step wet cleaning? For example, the AIVS 3-step cleaning fluids are what I'm interested in. Would the mobile fidelity brushes work good with the AIVS fluid? Or are other brushes better?

21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I use the ON original brush for the first run with ON fluid. Then for the second run with L´Art Du Son I use the Clearaudio Pure Groove Micro fibre brush. Really like this one. I have the MOFI brush too but I think it is to much friction to the record and it sucks up so much fluid itself. I don't feel safe using it but it might be imagination only :)
    For the last rinse I use another Clearaudio Pure Groove. The micro fibre can be changed just like the one on the OK arm.

I have also used the Loricraft Nylon brush but I find it a bit too stiff for my taste.

After each cleaning process I rinse all brushes under hot water and then finish of with purified water.

22. ssmith3046

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  23. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

They do plug up with mold, so now I rinse mine twice with hot water and then with a little peroxide after each use. Clean as a whistle.

24. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Other way round; as with all ClearAudio "accessories"; they simply fill their line-card with other peoples products and attach the appropriate price hike for their name

25. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Agree 100%
    Don't wipe records with anything DRY
    Besides that, the only micro-fiber cloth that will not leave some degree of "scratch" (even microscopic) would be those that are optical grade...........I doubt the auto parts stores and dollar stores carry those (in fact, I know they don't) I get my cloths for precision cleaning through my optometrist

Those ubiquitous blue rags labelled "micro-fiber" that you see in every junk store aren't even true micro-fiber (thread count and weave) They are barely suitable for household cleaning and detailing a car; I've had more than a few of them "bleed" dye when wet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.