Okki Nokki RCM makes me hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by laughalot, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Go for it. I've had mine for a year now and love it.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'll be getting a 7"inch arm as well as a 12" arm. Can't decide on black/white finish. Guess availability.Stock brush seems to get bad reviews.

3. ssmith3046

I found the stock brush slowed the process down. I switched to the Osage Audio brush and it made applying the cleaning solution faster and easier. The MFSL brush seems to popular too but I have never tried it.

alexpop likes this.
  4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ended up getting a Nitty Gritty 2.5Fl instead. After some research, found that for me it was the better machine

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I am using Clearaudio brushes for fluid application on my Okki Nokki. They have worked very well for me, and can be refreshed with Disc Doctor replacement strips.

6. ssmith3046

I've used the Disc Doctor strips too. Perfect fit.

7. Josquin des Prez

They work well for both the Okki Nokki tubes and the Clearaudio brushes. I haven't seen the newer Okki Nokki tubes, but I assume they will work for that too. The Disc Doctor strips cost about half ($17.50 per four strips) than other replacements. Okki Nokki was charging $15.00 for two strips.

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

I'm ordering a set of these for my VPI.

M~

9. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The Okki Nokkis are available new again in the US. Has anyone picked up a new version and compared it to the old version? The new version claims several improvements...

10. alexpop

Like what?

11. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Here's the marketing verbiage for the new Okki Nokki:

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/rcm-ii-record-cleaning-machine-ii-black-6792.html

" The New RCM II has taken the original RCM to new heights in performance and reliability.
    New Second Generation vacuum recording cleaning machine with forward and reverse motor, quiet vacuum motor, cool running motor and improved safety circuitry.

Made with the highest build quality, the Okki-Nokki RCM II features:

• New vacuum wand with increased vacuum suction vs. the original RCM.
    • Vacuum wand swings out to the right after cleaning allowing easy access for flipping sides or removing the record post cleaning.
    • New aluminum record clamp with rubber O-ring that grips the record more securely and releases easier.
    • Built-in safety mechanisms that prevent fluid being sucked into the vacuum motor and the turntable motor overheating.
    • Cool running turntable motor allows for hours of use, with no need for noisy fans. Forward and reverse motor for "scrubbing" action.
    • Quiet vacuum motor and auto shut-off should the user forget to drain down the reservoir."

alexpop likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

Sounds just like the earlier version like mine except for the new record clamp.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The bizarre thing about that photo is that is shows an earlier version of the Okki. The new RCMII version has a different cleaning arm design. The base is much bigger and won't fit in the previous versions. I have a couple for sale here in the classifieds as I bought them in error. I didn't know they changed the design.

They should update those photos.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I might give the Osage brush a try. I use the MFSL brushes and do like them but they do retain a lot of fluid. I imagine with the Osage design those brushes won't retain fluid like the MFSL do. Not really a big deal but I find they work better after they've been wet as on first application they do tend to retain more of the fluid so I have to put on a little extra. Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong though! :)

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Does anyone have a source for spare 12,7 or 10" aluminum arms? I can't seem to find any online.

Eddie

16. alexpop

Looks great !

17. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

Only left handed people are in their right mind.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

:)

19. lbud

lbud New Member

I just picked up a 12" aluminium / previous model wand from turntable world in the UK.

eddiel likes this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This seems like a risky thing to do, as I have found that the grooves take more than one rotation to dry. Unless you always play after you clean, you might be putting a less than 100% dry record back in a sealed sleeve. it's that fine line between a dry record and a static-y record . . . .

21. Josquin des Prez

As I said I use two directions for clean and rinse with an application brush. I go in one direction only for drying. I now have two vacuum wands. One for the cleaning fluid and one for the water rinse.

I also never go directly from RCM to sleeve. I use a bamboo dish drying rack. I have cleaned thousands of records with no issues.

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Got it. The drying rack would make all the difference.

23. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Maybe I've just lucked into the right combo of factors but I've never had my RCM add static.

So I vacuum the snot out of 'em.

I figure if I'm leaving liquid I'm leaving the dirt floating in it also.

24. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I wonder how those of you who make a final rinse with pure water do. Because when I do it the water is extremely difficult to get spread all over the record. Any suggestions on how to improve this because it's like 1/3 wet and 2/3 dry when I apply the pure water.

25. Josquin des Prez

The water pools because the record is clean. I don't attempt to cover the entire record surface with rinse water. I apply a reasonably liberal amount of water and brush it with the motor running for a few revolutions, to allow any cleaning residue to dissolve and release into the water. Then I vacuum it away and set the record up to dry completely before re-sleeving.

michanes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.