Okki Nokki RCM makes me hang my head in shame

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by laughalot, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

But if the water doesn't cover the complete record the idea with the water removing the left overs in the grooves from my L´art du son liquid is to be questioned?

Which kind of brush do you use for the final rinse?

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I use the Clearaudio Pure Groove record cleaning brushes, one for cleaning and another one for rinse. I don't mix them. I also use separate ON vacuum wands for clean and rinse.

This has worked well for thousands of sides cleaned. I have never heard any evidence of cleaning residue left in the grooves.

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm considering buying an Okki Nikki this spring. Can any of the UK based owners comment on how they've gotten on with their machines over time? Any maintenance needed? Is it easy to buy additional supplies in the UK/EU?

Finally, where is the best place to buy?

4. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with being clean or not..............you need to add a surfactant in order to lower the surface tension between the water and the solid
    The best (and I KNOW someone will pipe in on why it's NOT) is Kodak Photo Flo
    One or two drops in a gallon of water should do the trick, ad by the DROP until you get good "wetting" (and make a note of how much a gallon takes)
    The instructions are for the products use with photographic activities so I have found it best to figure out the recipe on your own (amount to use)
    Doesn't take much
    I can't tell you how much for rinse water as I don't do it (rinse)
    Makes your cleaning solution's efficacy and drying times much improved as well
    A $5 bottle of Photo Flo will probably last you the rest of your life

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I was think that clearaudio brush is use just for dry cleaning! for remove dust like the 1st step before any liquid, so is good for use with the liquids?

6. Josquin des Prez

You are probably thinking of a different brush. Clearaudio also makes a normal anti=static carbon-fibre brush for sweeping records of dust. Follow the link I posted above and you'll find both brushes listed with descriptions for use.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

http://clearaudio.de/en/accessories/cleaning-accessories.php
    oh yes I found two:
    DOPPELDECKER and PURE GROOVE
    the true I don't understand the difference and use, sorry :angel:

8. Josquin des Prez

I use the Pure Groove for wet cleaning, and have been doing so for thousands of record sides. It has a microfiber pad.

The Doppeldecker is not meant to get wet. It's just a standard anti-static brush.

stenway likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I live in the US and have gotten on just great with my Okki Nokki for two years now.

Robert C likes this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

this guys alert me some weeks ago that they have in stock: http://www.trueaudiophile.com/

but the true? after try an old VPI and read a lot etc... call me crazy but I prefer the $200 Record Doctor V or the KAB EV-1 that the VPI or Okki, why?

1. price $200 or under
    2. much less space, very small units
    3. the cleaning side DONT touch the matt
    4. not always automatic is better! I like the manual control
    5. vacuum is on the bottom
    6. in the case of the KAB EV-1 is vacuum is broken just replace the vacuum

SAME RESULTS.... in conclusion watch this video, maybe that guy convinced you like do with me:

oh! also I don't want spend $700 right now, Im looking for a Ultrasonic Cleaning DIY or wait to see if VPI release something... so for now the $200 spend on the Record Doctor V or the KAB EV-1 is enough for me.

hi_watt and Rolltide like this.

11. I'mn not UK based, but I have had no problems with my ON in the last 6 or 7 years.

And for the gazillionth time: The UK is still a member state of the EU!

Robert C and marantzbe like this.
  12. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Had mine for 3-4 years I would reckon. No problems. I bought replacement strips for the arm from Ebay without issue.

I got mine from Black Pearls in Germany. At the time it was a lot cheaper than in the UK. With the current exchange rate, probably even more so. Great service too.

13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Thanks all!

14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The problem with the Record Doctor (and I've had two) is that if you do a lot of cleaning at one time they warp and the drain plug area starts to disintegrate. Last I checked (when I pulled my first one apart to find out what was going on) they are made of particle board, and the fluid capture area isn't fully enclosed, so eventually it gets around into the wood. Yes, they can work fine and are inexpensive, but the low price does have potential downsides.

John K.

15. Josquin des Prez

My ON is a few years old now and has cleaned probably 4000 record sides (I spent a year cleaning my entire collection).

michanes likes this.
  16. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

RCM are not snake oil,i spent well over a year cleaning all of my records,a dirt one it's not going to get near my Benz Micro never again:tsk:
    This is my machine:

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've seen those online but never came across anyone that owned. Have you owned other RCMs or just that one? Interested in hearing opinions on the Opera vs VPI or ON.

Also, is it really that quiet when it's going through the vacuum phase? You could barely hear it!

18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Here is a good article,i've never had other machine to compare,but i'll tell you is noisy as hell!
    http://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/record-cleaning-machines-okki-nokki-vs-consonance/

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

One other question regarding the Okki Nokki. I read the manual online that states that you must dilute the solution in 1 litre (?) of water, and then you can use the little bottle to distribute the fluid on the record. I've seen plenty of people on Youtube using the little Okki Nokki bottle to apply the diluted fluid. How easy is it to get the diluted solution back into the little bottle for this purpose of application?

21. Josquin des Prez

As I recall you pop off the nozzle and pour the liquid in, carefully. I only used it for a little while before switching to Audio Intelligent solutions and getting my own application bottles for it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  22. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

1) Music Hall released that here, but recolored it black and called it the WCS-2. I have it, I like it a lot. It does a really nice job and is pretty competitively priced against other machines (and I found mine at a nearly obscene sale price).

2) That said, it is NOWHERE near that quiet. It has a notoriously powerful vacuum, which I absolutely love, but my oh my it is loud. They definitely quieted down the video.

eddiel likes this.
  23. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Also -

Holy guacamole the guy int hat video used a lot of fluid... is this normal? Am I doing it wrong by not drowning the records?

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If fluid is running over the side and under the lp and hence getting the plater wet to that extent the guy in the video either putting too much water on or not applying it properly.

25. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Hijacking this thread hoping to be useful in case you were planning to buy an Okki Nokki from Germany. I have had the misfortune of buying one from a retailer on Amazon.de (Ohrenschmaus-Shop).

In the first weeks the machine, while cleaning extremely well, started to develop some problems: water leaking from the bottom, the vacuum motor starting to smell "burnt" and then intermittently misbehaving (stopping, slowing down). Ok, it may happen... a lemon is something which may happen even from the best brands. Well, the seller refused to honour the warranty. As you may know, EU law dictates that in the first two years the seller must replace or repair a defective item at no cost whatsoever for the customer. This seller refused to have the machine sent back to him and to refund costs, in a very arrogant manner.

Now I have sent it to the official German distributor to see what can be done. Please check where you are buying from!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.