Oldest Living Movie Star

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by socorro, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socorro

socorro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was reading the thread about Ingrid Bergman's 100th birthday. At first I was thrilled and astonished at the thought that she was still living, but alas it wasn't so.

This got me to thinking, though. I wonder who is the oldest living movie star? I don't want to get hung up on definitions of who counts as a star, so anybody counts. Any nationality, of course.

I'd also be interested in hearing about movie actors and actresses who died in the past few years who were working before the 1960s.

It is always melancholy for me to watch a favorite movie and reflect that everybody I am seeing on screen has long been dead in real life.

2. Django

Django Forum Resident

Kirk Douglas will be 100 december 9th of next year.

3. At 99, Olivia de Havilland is still alive and apparently working on her autobiography. She'll be 100 if she makes it to July 1, 2016.

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Probably someone in Japan.

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

George Gaynes (commandant Lassard) is 98

6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Jerry Lewis made a ton of movies in the 1950's and he's 89.

7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Zsa Zsa Gabor - born February 6, 1917

joemarine likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Abe Vigoda must be 140 by now.

EdgardV, old4mat, Ed Hughes and 3 others like this.
  9. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I know Abe Vigoda has been reported as deceased a number of times, but does anyone else remember the closing credits of his show Fish mentioning his passing at some time. I swear I saw something like this in the late 70's or early 80's, but don't see any reference online to support my (possibly mistaken) memory.

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

This was at the end of one Fish episode?

11. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

man that is amazing! what great genes Kirk must have...

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

another incredible woman...love her!

chacha likes this.
  14. Dudley Morris likes this.
  15. His wife Ann Mclerie (Carmen Carlson from WKRP) is no spring chicken at 89.

16. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

17. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

That or maybe Barney Miller. I remember being surprised a few years later seeing him in something and realizing he hadn't passed away.

18. 94, actually. He needs to stick around until February 2021 to make 100.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Sounds like Kirk Douglas and Olivia de haviland are the ones to beat. I didn't realize he was older when his career started off, late 30s

20. Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    ruben lopez, Jrr, inperson and 7 others like this.
  21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Jack Soo died during Barney Miller's run, are you sure you're not confusing the two?

From what I recall the Abe Vigoda death rumours came from sloppy reporting from People magazine who mentioned that he had passed away around the same time...

22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, I had no idea Olivia deHaviland was still with us. Her heyday was the 30s and 40s, and she was a true, no doubt about it, movie star. I just read that her sister Joan Fontaine died less than 2 years ago at age 96.

It's interesting that she and Kirk Douglas are nearly the same age, because their careers barely overlapped. His heyday was the 50s and 60s, and remained quite active into the 70s.

mmars982 likes this.
  23. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

It's possible that the notice of Jack Soo's passing is what I saw, but for all these years I've had it in my head that it was Abe. This may be the best explanation. It probably is unlikely that a show that had a considerable lead time between production and airing would make a mistake like that.

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Maureen O'Hara just celebrated her 95th birthday, still a youngster in this company, but doing well and a proper film star whose appearances spanned more than sixty years.

chacha, EdgardV and Damiano54 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.