Olivia Newton-John Single by Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Song4U, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

As far as dance tracks go, this one wasn't too bad. Olivia sounded good. I'm always glad to support a good cause, so I didn't mind buying a remake of one of her biggest hits.

John Adam likes this.
  2. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Yes, this was a total surprise. I remember going to Olivia's website one day and seeing that you could order this, so I did. Like many others, I had copies of the "leaked" tracks already, but I was thrilled to get a legitimate release -- with a number of other songs on it! Given that quite a few years had passed since the tracks leaked out, I figured we'd never see this get released.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this CD the project that was produced by Olivia's nephew? He's talented; he wrote a couple of these songs, and they're good songs. I'd love to see Olivia do more recording with him!

3. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Thanks for all your work! It's been great fun going through all of Olivia's singles. I've played some songs in the past couple of weeks that I haven't played in years.

Song4U and tin ears like this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

I really like this video montage and this song from Hotel Sessions.

John Adam likes this.
  5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yes,this was the project with her nephew. I honestly was floored with this release. It's the best thing she's done for a long time and really shows that if she had the ambition she had in her hey day and the right producer ,she could still be a contender. I only currently have the download but I'm ordering the actual CD for the collection. I only wish it had a few more songs because it could have been a great last mainstream pop album for her amid all of her healing and spiritual discs she seems devoted to.

I also want to give a virtual high five to Song4u for this thread. While I've not contributed to this as much as many of you have,ive enjoyed following along and reading you guys insights. At 36,i feel like the kid here as I was either not either born or a very small tot when Livvie was at her apex,so it was like " reliving" her ascent along with you all ,so thank you again. :)

John Adam, Song4U and David G. like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks Song4U for putting this on.

Great job!!! 92 pages!!!

Song4U likes this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I haven't been getting any notices on this thread and decided to pop in. Good thing as I missed a few days.

I adore Hotel Sessions. I had little hope for it with a family member producing. Well I was certainly surprised!! It's great!

I agree @Song4U. Hotel Sessions is the perfect stopping point. You did a fantastic job walking us through Olivia's wonderful singles!!

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My best to all of you fellow ONJ fans.

John Adam likes this.
  8. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

It's the same length as the album version, but is a stand alone, whereas the album version bleeds into the next track. The background instrumentation is a little more pronounced on the single version. It has a swift fade in.

Song4U likes this.
  9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

10. Pizza

They could never call their joint project "Olivia Newton-John Farnham" because that'd mean Farnham taking second billing and he'd never settle for that. :laugh:

11. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't even bought Liv on and I know I won't be buying this one either.

12. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Me neither. Good cause aside quality still matters.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Still #1 down under. Platinum now!!!

14. Pizza

Cool! I really like this album. Nice to see it do so well in Australia. Shame John Farnham has little market value here in the states. Not that Olivia has much either but folks still know her name. It would have been nice to see the album get more of a push here. Oh well. The holidays are going to be behind us soon enough and the album will be dropping off the charts.

Jarleboy, Mylene and John Adam like this.
  15. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Yup. I really like it too.
    Like her other legitimate dueting partner Cliff Richard, Farnham is not well known here. Not that Olivia will ever set the world on fire anymore, it was so good to hear this album. Merry Christmas Olivia fans!

Jarleboy, Mylene and Pizza like this.
  16. Pizza

It was a nice gift for us fans! And Merry Christmas to you!

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  17. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

Listening to this now, so many decades later, I can see how recordings like this one led me to loving Kate Bush when I first saw her on Saturday Night Live. Kate would have done it an octave higher with more googly eyes, but I can hear her doing it nonetheless.

18. John Adam

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. John Adam

I fixed it when I answered! :) Well sort of!

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Knocked off the top by Michael Buble's ye olde ancient Christmas album. Injustice!!!

John Adam, Jarleboy and Pizza like this.
  21. Pizza

I demand a recount! ;)

John Adam likes this.
  22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just recently got into ONJ's music, so this thread is a welcome introduction to her singles.

Darryl

Jarleboy, John Adam and Pizza like this.
  23. John Adam

I just did a non-holiday, just a pure listen to this collection "Friends For Christmas," looking for flaws having recently said how much I actually "like" this. Haven't changed my opinion BTW!
    Had this collection been made in the 1980's by John Farnham and Olivia it may have had a more contemporary feel perhaps. Maybe Olivia would have had more range, but she really sounds.........good!

As it is, it's simply an old fashioned Christmas album with a great collection of holiday standards, sung well by two aging artists who obviously enjoyed doing this project. I could of heard this as a made for TV special. This is the album she should of made a few years ago instead of the one with Travolta. I will enjoy this CD every year, and it's going to be something worth associating to the legacy of Olivia Newton-John from her later career.

Jarleboy and Pizza like this.
  24. John Adam

Did you "hear," it's back at #1 because of what I wrote (above!) lol :)
    Now I rest my case..........

Jarleboy, Pizza and Mylene like this.
  25. Pizza

This and Hotel Sessions are the clear highlights of her later releases.

Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.