Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Exactly right. It’s a given. My first thought was just one megastar hit on her? Seriously?

bob60 likes this.
  2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing Olivia's duet "Everybody's Someone" (with Cliff Richard) Nov 23rd

Jarleboy likes this.
  3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

[​IMG]

Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is a great pic but I don't think that Cliff ever hit on Olivia.
    I think he had to much respect for her and they were more like brother and sister...:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I don’t think Cliff ever hit on anyone.

David Campbell likes this.
  6. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

You´d better ask Jet Harris what he thinks about that claim... (I am guessing Cliff is ashamed of that incident, as well he should be. None of us is innocent, so I´m not saying Cliff´s mistakes are worse than ours, but it was still a pretty low thing to do.

And yes, I´m aware that Jet is no longer with us. His life turned out so much darker than it needed to have been. Sad story.

bob60 likes this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Just found Indigo: Women of Song for £1. Any thoughts on this one?

Edit: Ah, just found this very helpful earlier post by Bobby Morrow: “You could also try her 2005 covers album, Indigo - Women Of Song. Produced by Phil Ramone in a very simplistic style. Her voiced has obviously aged a little at this point, but she makes a good job of much of the material. Depending, of course, how much you revere the originals.:)

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s probably her best album of the 2000s. Understand I’m not saying much by this.:)

The songs are good, but she chose ones that have been done to death for the most part, which is disappointing. I’d also say that the simplistic style - though I understand what she and Ramone were going for - wears thin after a while, and I’d have appreciated more variety, polish and even some of Olivia’s much loved multi-tracked vocals occasionally.

The UK artwork isn’t great either. I wish they’d have stuck with the Australian cover.

Still for a quid.....

Jarleboy and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks. You’re right about the artwork. It actually looks like a cheapo compilation. But I am intrigued to hear it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

'Grace And Gratitude' is still the one for me. I love it more and more with each passing year - instant melodies, exceptional vocals, and tastefully produced. Despite the interludes and the 'new age' style, it reminds me most of her classic pop albums in that every song is a keeper. It holds together as a body of work in a way that few of her albums in the noughties and beyond have done. I appreciate that it is not necessarily to everyone's taste though.

'Indigo' is worth a listen. Olivia is in fine voice and if you approach it as a sort of live-in-the-studio album, you can forgive the lack of colour and depth in the production. I really enjoyed it at the time (some 14 years ago... eek!)

x

John Adam and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I really loved Grace & Gratitude when I first heard it. I still believe it features her best vocals since the 80s. However, I never play it now. I just find it a real drag.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I often listen to it sequenced without the interludes so it just plays as a 10-track album. It's a more tighter, song-oriented listen that way.

I definitely agree about her vocals. They are flawless on 'Grace And Gratitude' and easily the most impressive match of songs and Olivia's more 'mature' voice. She is in total control of her voice in every moment and her tone is wonderful.

x

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Yes, her vocals drew me into G&G. Maybe removing the interludes might work... If I play any of her 90s onward stuff now though it tends to be Back With A Heart (still my favourite of her ‘later’ work), Stronger Than Before and Indigo. The rest not so much. I can take about half of (2).

Should get her imported biog over the next 2 weeks. I’d been waiting for a UK release, but realise this probably won’t happen now. At least this year. Looking forward to reading it.

David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  14. Pizza

Anybody else find this cover frightening?

[​IMG]

15. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Yes. :laugh:

Although not frightening, I think this one is worse:

[​IMG]

snowman872, Pizza and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Pizza

It amazes me how they can have one of the prettiest faces around to fill CD and Album covers and still muck it up with bad choices and poor designs. Luckily these type of covers were the exception and not the norm for Olivia.

tin ears, Mezepokaj and Jarleboy like this.
  17. justinlibrarian

justinlibrarian Forum Resident

Yes, of course. My wife and I first bonded over our love of Xanadu. How could we not love ONJ?

18. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

Seriously 70s and early 80s had some really annoying ballads go to the top. I did like Magic and her Grease songs. But other than that, she was forgettable. Good looking woman though.

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Here is Brett Goldsmith’s version.
    He is the nephew of Olivia Newton-John.

John Adam and David Campbell like this.
  20. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Here is Olivia’s version, which do you prefer?

Porkpie, John Adam and David Campbell like this.
  21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I prefer Olivia's because I'm biased...but Brett's version is good on Its own. Talented family!

22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I didn’t even know he had a version and it was recorded well before Hotel Sessions.

23. Mezepokaj

Mezepokaj Forum Resident

Olivia's version, but I admit I'm biased too.

But, to give Brett some credit, I'll say Hotel Sessions is my favorite Olivia release of this century. I think this mature pop sound really suits her current voice. It's not a masterpiece, but it's very decent and not cringeworthy at all (unlike some of her other later releases).

Shame Olivia doesn't seem to think the same.

24. Bobby Morrow

Hotel Sessions is another one I never play now. I did like it to start with. If only because it was a return to pop of some sorts... Now I find the raw production and weak songs off-putting. As I’ve said before, I think her last album of quality - in the way that it harked back to her 70s sound - was Back With A Heart 20 years ago. And a lot of people don’t even like that.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Pizza

I really enjoy Hotel Sessions. Just like her tracks from Two of a Kind, I view both as the great albums that didn’t happen for her. I would have loved full albums from those periods.

John Adam, Mezepokaj and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.