OMG! The Turtles announce *two* box sets in the Works!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr_mjb1960, Jun 20, 2016.

1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I turned the box the other way on the shelf so I don't get too stressed out. :(

Rne and pdenny like this.
  2. And you're lucky if you get a dollar for one.

readr likes this.
  3. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Wow, I've never heard that single version. Yes, totally different. I've always compared the album version to something The Who could have recorded at that time. This one sounds nothing like The Who.

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I appreciate the sentiment and I understand it, but I'm not a "collector" these days and since I rip in full format I won't be losing anything sound-wise if I want to hear the tracks again. My pragmatism leads me to not hold onto things I don't need taking up space. As far as resale value, it's not a concern. I'm...comfortable :angel:

My original mono v. stereo question still stands, though, so any thoughts appreciated.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Howard-vocal version of "How You Love Me" is enough to keep the singles set.

6. pdenny

Is that not on the TURTLE SOUP disc in the box? Understand I'm a neophyte here lol

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The one included as a bonus on Turtle Soup is a demo. I'm quite a neophyte too, don't you worry.

pdenny likes this.
  8. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die! Thread Starter

It was the Flip of this single! BTW,Like its flip,a Non-Lp track.

9. mr_mjb1960

On the other hand,"Somewhere Friday Night" was another Demo,put there on the Lp as a Regular track because Ray Davies' Version did not thrill the group-They'd liked their version,anyway,so it was used,instead!

Rne likes this.
  10. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Well if you want to get rid of that singles set, I'll gladly unburden you!

pdenny likes this.
  11. pdenny

Heh. I'm listening to it right now and it's sure...convenient :angel: But I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether the mono single versions are so dramatically different from the versions on the box that I can't live without it.

12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

The Turtles soup tracks in mono are great ! Especially on the tracks were the drums are on one side of the stereo mix ! Go and get it before you regret it ! ;)

13. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

!I!W!i!l!l!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this thread requires extra exclamation apparently LOL)

14. mr_mjb1960

The Hornless Mix of "Making My Mind Up",only issued in California as a "Feeler" Test Single is the truest Payoff! It has never been available since its Original issue in 1966!

15. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

For the first two albums anyway.
    Most of their stereo mixes had the drums on one side (a mono drum track sounds better on one channel, my guess).

Did they use the same Sundazed and Repertoire digital masters with these new discs?

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

can't believe they left their last single "lady-o" off the complete box set...........and there was surely room for it.

17. telliott

telliott Senior Member

They had to give people a reason to buy both boxes.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

totally agree, and it stinks.

how can say complete when it in all actuality it is not.

which is is exactly why i didn't buy either one and kept 'solid zinc.'

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is called The Complete Albums, not Complete Turtles. So the title is not misleading IMO.

noname74 likes this.
  20. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Ain't THAT the truth!! :agree:

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

oh i know, and i know that is exactly what they would say you could ask them

but my reply would be, if it's the complete albums, where is "more golden hits" wasn't that an album too?

:)

22. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Plus "Golden Hits" and ""Shell Shock" and the remixed "Turtle Soup" and...
    Seriously though, loving these sets and "All The Singles" is an impressive entity unto itself with all of the hit mixes in the same place for the first time ever. :cool:

eelkiller likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

did golden hits have anything unique on it?

24. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I assume that there are no plans to offer the albums separately - and I certainly get why. I guess I need to download Wooden Head to get the 67 stereo mixes of their singles. And I should think about Battle Of The Bands also.....

25. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Not really but it did have cool cover graphics created by Dean Torrence's "Kittyhawk Graphics" "More Golden Hits" had their final singles and the first release of "Cat in the Window".

[​IMG]