OMG! The Turtles announce *two* box sets in the Works!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr_mjb1960, Jun 20, 2016.

1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

2. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I would like to know too as it is cheaper.

I know it is somewhere in this thread but can anyone post the tracks that are exclusive to All the Singles along with the exclusive mixes not on the 6 CD box?

I've bought the box and I am still on the fence about ATS because I hate repetition.

3. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I did a quick A/B of All The Singles and the versions on the Edsel remasters/box set, and here's some notes. It's mostly original mono mixes of the singles, some of which are available on the mono versions of the albums on the box, and some that are not...

1-1 It Ain't Me Babe 2:11 [mono mix - same mix as on It Ain't Me Babe mono, but punchier, brighter master, fade is different]
    1-2 Almost There 2:12 [mono mix - same mix as on You Baby mono]
    1-3 Let Me Be 2:20 [mono mix - same mix as on You Baby mono]
    1-4 Your Maw Said You Cried 1:43 [mono mix - same mix as on It Ain't Me Babe mono, but punchier, brighter master]
    1-5 You Baby 2:17 [mono mix - same mix as on You Baby mono]
    1-6 Wanderin' Kind 2:07 [mono mix - same mix as on It Ain't Me Babe mono]
    1-7 Grim Reaper Of Love 2:20 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-8 Come Back 2:24 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-9 So Goes Love (Unissued Single) 2:36 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-10 On A Summer's Day (Unissued Single) 3:35 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-11 We'll Meet Again 1:58 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-12 Outside Chance 2:02 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-13 Makin' My Mind Up 2:20 [original 1966 mono single mix (no horns) - unique to All The Singles]
    1-14 Can I Get To Know You Better 2:40 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-15 Like The Seasons 1:52 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-16 Happy Together 2:54 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-17 She'd Rather Be With Me 2:08 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-18 The Walking Song 2:41 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-19 Guide For The Married Man 2:40 [mono single mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono, but shorter fade]
    1-20 Think I'll Run Away 2:29 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-21 You Know What I Mean 2:04 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-22 Rugs Of Woods And Flowers 2:59 [mono mix - same mix as on Happy Together mono]
    1-23 She's My Girl 2:33 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-24 Chicken Little Was Right 2:47 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    1-25 Pepsi Ad (unlisted) 1:01 [unique to All The Singles]

2-1 Sound Asleep 2:21 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-2 Umbassa The Dragon 3:06 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-3 The Story Of Rock And Roll 2:44 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-4 Can't You Hear The Cows 2:23 [mono mix - same mix as on Battle of the Bands bonus]
    2-5 Elenore 2:31 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-6 Surfer Dan 2:40 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-7 Christmas Is My Time Of Year 3:20 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-8 You Showed Me 3:04 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-9 Buzzsaw 1:54 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-10 House On The Hill 2:57 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-11 Come Over 2:21 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-12 How You Love Me (Unissued Single) 2:54 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-13 You Don't Have To Walk In The Rain 2:42 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-14 Love In The City 3:20 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-15 Bachelor Mother 2:38 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-16 Lady-O (Stereo) 2:52 [unique to All The Singles]
    2-17 Somewhere Friday Night (Stereo) 3:24 [same mix as on Turtle Soup]
    2-18 Teardrops (Stereo) 3:03 [unique to All The Singles]
    2-19 Gas Money (Stereo) 2:10 [unique to All The Singles]
    2-20 Who Would Ever Think That I Would Marry Margaret? (Stereo) 2:01 [unique to All The Singles]
    2-21 We Ain't Gonna Party No More (Stereo) 4:54 [unique to All The Singles - cold start intro]
    2-22 Is It Any Wonder? 2:34 [original mono single mix - unique to All The Singles]
    2-23 Eve Of Destruction 2:36 [mono single mix - same mix as on It Ain't Me Babe mono, but shorter fade]
    2-24 Me About You 2:26 [mono single mix - same mix as on It Ain't Me Babe mono]
    2-25 Camaro Ad (unlisted) [unique to All The Singles]

4. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

great info there thanks for doing that!

soniclovenoize likes this.
  5. I have all the Turtles albums and am a stereo guy. To me the stereo versions sound best. Going back to the original 45rpm singles, which were mono, they didn't receive the best pressings, mostly being on styrene. Like the Motown 45's, the digital versions may be the first time that the original mono versions actually sound good. Rhino did a great job re-issuing some of the Turtles hit 45's, in stereo and actually pressed on vinyl years ago. I'll stick with my stereo 45's any day!

6. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Wow! Sir, you are the reason I am addicted to this forum.
    And now I have no alternative but to buy, damn it!

melstapler and soniclovenoize like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Someone here said that Outside Chance was previously released in mono on a VA comp (sorry, don't remember name); you wouldn't happen to have compared that as well?
    Wondering if the comp version was bogus

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It is in mono on the Rhino 4 CD Box set Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965–1968

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

thanks, that's the one. Has anyone done a comparison?

stereoptic likes this.
  10. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I've finally found an offer I could not refuse and bought "Happy Together", which has the same tracklisting and probably mixes as "All the Singles" for just USD 8 with free shipping worldwide at grooves-inc. "All the singles" costs USD 19!

11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I have been slow to jump on these. Are these Manifesto discs out of print already? Are the Edsel versions clones? A local place near me had all of them and I intended to pick them up one at a time, but the last time I was there, they only had one copy of "Turtle Soup." I hope I didn't blow this again.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Edsels should be the same mastering.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  13. MarkTheShark

I looked at Amazon and saw Bill Inglot's name. The weird thing is, they have all the other albums on Manifesto but aside from third-party used listings, I only see "You Baby" on Edsel.

14. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Has this new stereo mix of Outside Chance been released? It sounds great:

15. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I've been going back and forth with these two. I decided on "All The Singles" because it seems the liner notes and packaging may be better, and worth the extra $. $16.19 from Amazon.

16. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I've already spent quite a bit on "All the albums" so I'd rather pay half and get the singles in a more modest package.

17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

What is that?

18. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Don't know, but the song is remixed.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My Dinner with Jimi - Wikipedia

gottafeelin and Ern like this.
  20. MarkTheShark

There have been occasional alternate mixes which have shown up over the years. I remember a recent comp (maybe Save The Turtles?) which had a mix of "Makin' My Mind Up" I had not heard before. But weren't the Turtles' multitracks supposedly erased by a former producer years ago? I have never been clear on what happened there. Maybe I need to read Howard Kaylan's book.

21. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Just come across this album CD box set which looks very interesting, albeit a bit pricey. Never owned their earlier albums (first one was Happy Together) so was surprised to hear the first couple of albums with what I call "split two channel stereo", and reminiscent to the first few Beatles albums in stereo. I always found these a little strange when listening through headphones. Are these exactly as the original albums that came out in 1965/66.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

So... I've received this one and heard both discs.
    Mixes are probably the same as "All the singles" as they match tracklisting and descriptions from another post.
    But... (there is always a but)... the hidden bonus tracks are missing from both discs.
    I am still happy I got this set for 8 bucks shipped to Buenos Aires but why remove the hidden tracks from All The Singles?

Hep Alien, stereoptic and melstapler like this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because you got the discounted cheapie pressing for $8.00. You will often get what you pay for.

24. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Well, I guess I will keep my 10 bucks and live without the hidden tracks.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't really know why. But it could be the newer lower priced pressing omits the hidden bonus'.