"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks......that's the kind of responses I'm looking for on this thread. :wave:

2. Oldies trivia guy

Answer from yesterday........

"Double Shot (of My Baby's Love)"/Swingin' Medallions
    Smash Records #17 1966

An interesting story surrounds the Swingin' Medallions. It's leader, John McElrath , is from the town of "96" South Carolina. Yes, the town's name is 96. The original formation of the group, in 1962, was more of a folkie style. They were known as the Medallions until 1966. By this time they had evolved into a more rock n roll entity and were booked into almost every frat house throughout the South. Their strongest support came from Birmingham, Alabama (my hometown) and one of our local DJ's, Dave Roddy suggested they add "Swingin'" to their name. When I wrote the intro to this thread, I had this group in mind when I mentioned regional hits. For example, in Birmingham, they had a previous hit on Dot Records called "I Want To Be Your Guy". Although "Double Shot" reached #17 nationally, it was #1 in Birmingham for 6 weeks and their follow up, "She Drives Me Out Of My Mind", a Double Shot sound alike, was another #1 local hit but only reached #71 nationally. John McElrath kept a version of the band together, due to their continued Southern popularity, up until a few months ago when he sadly passed away. I'm happy to have featured on of my favorites here on NATIONAL ONE HIT WONDER DAY !!!

bluemooze and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  3. Oldies trivia guy

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!
    P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know.
    (Some kind of response will keep the thread updated on the list)
    I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

New Question.......

9/25/18

Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" inspired the name of this psychedelic group.

4. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Aldous Huxley, "The DOORS of Perception"

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Christ Almighty! What is it going to take? You can’t be arsed to read the previous post, even when the text is underlined and in color???

I guess it’s no surprise that your answer is wrong. Not only wrong, but stupid. Apparently, you can’t even be bothered to read the thread title. Nice going.

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Now that I’ve got that off my chest...I get a Gold Star for this question.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If the other poster's answer was incorrect, then he didn't really violate the underlined part to begin with. You know, since the the right answer hasn't been given yet.

Maybe the next time you go off on a rant you might want to read the OP's underlined text yourself.

RedPines likes this.
  8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

So your interpretation of the rules is that it’s OK to post an answer, as long as you KNOW it’s incorrect? Is this what you’re saying the poster above did? Why would anyone do that?

I hope you’ll answer these questions so I can understand where you’re coming from. And I invite anyone else who interprets the rules in this way to chime in.

And I hope you’ll understand that this is the second time in two days someone has done this.

Mechanical Man and samskeyti like this.
  9. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Bubble Puppy

SmellTheHorse likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

As far as you know, the poster just took a complete guess.

And I will repeat....you are saying it's the wrong answer (I'm assuming the same thing since I doubt The Doors are considered one hit wonders). So this question is still up in the air right now for others to chime in, going on the posts I've read by the OP, is what he wants. What you've just done is basically having people question if they should even try to guess now.

I mean seriously, your "stupid" comment? You've been here since 2004, I shouldn't even have to explain why this all sorts of wrong. I literally poked my head in here for the first time to see what this thread was about, saw your comment and, after saying my peace, I'm out. Keep the Gold Star.

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I had just watched the TV production of Brave New World (Leonard Nimoy played Mustapha Mond) a few days ago, so this reference really intrigued me.

I'm sure I don't know the answer, but the subject twigged an old memory that might be of interest. I believe a Canadian group way back in the 60s either named itself Soma, or had a song of that title. (Assuming post 76 wasn't a good-bye wave directed at me.)

In fairness to CliffL, I don't think I've ever noticed a more complicated instruction to posters on this Forum.

mschrist likes this.
  12. Oldies trivia guy

Hmmmmm........I'll reboot and offer new instructions with today's answer and new question.

13. Oldies trivia guy

Answer to yesterday's question.....

"Hot Smoke & Sasafrass"/Bubble Puppy
    International Artist Records #14 1969

Formerly known as the New Seeds (no connection to the other) and Willowdale Handcar. Later signed with ABC Records as Demian but their album went nowhere.

NOW, LET'S RE-BOOT YOUR ANSWERS AND RESPONSES........
    What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have four choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to take the time to research the answer, simply post "SILVER STAR", with the same criteria as in #1.

3. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

4. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!

New Question......

9/26/18

This New York group was discovered after being overheard singing in the men's room and their #11 hit costs $40 to record.

Please choose from the answers options mentioned earlier.

SmellTheHorse and bluemooze like this.
  14. Oldies trivia guy

Sorry, I forgot to post yesterday's question with the answer....

9/25/18

Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" inspired the name of this psychedelic group.

"Hot Smoke & Sasafrass"/Bubble Puppy

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Gold Star, though after my guess, I did check to make sure I was right, and I was.

I hope this doesn't give it away completely, but depending on which pressing plant made the 45, the song either has a short piano intro, or the intro was cut off and the song starts cold.

16. Oldies trivia guy

Perfect answer Tim, thanks.

17. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG](that's a brown star for not knowing)

figured it out but had no idea
    can't say more without giving a clue

18. Oldies trivia guy

A brown star??...L O L!

19. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Philly's Soul Survivors are our examples. Their follow up to the huge Expressway was Explosion (to your soul), a song that was similar to Expressway and you would think could have been a top 20 nationally, but it stiffed outside of the city and South jersey and the band faded, while Gamble and Huff continued to refine their formula.

21. Oldies trivia guy

Good example...I really like "Expressway" and would love to hear "Explosion"

22. Oldies trivia guy

Answer to question #11.....

9/26/18

This New York group was discovered after being overheard singing in the men's room and their #11 hit costs $40 to record.

"So Fine"/The Fiestas
    Old Town Records #11 1959

Your comments about this song are appreciated.

What I found recently after starting this thread was that if someone correctly answers the question soon after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to participate. I don't want that to happen since this is a forum. So, let me describe how I think this can work successfully. You have four choices for initial answers...

1. If you absolutely know the answer, simply post "GOLD STAR", and leave a comment, if you like, about the song that doesn't hint or giveaway the answer. Please come back and post your full comments and memories about the song after the answer has been posted. This is what I want to encourage the most since this is a forum.

2. If you want to take the time to research the answer, simply post "SILVER STAR", with the same criteria as in #1.

3. Post your guesses. But let us know it's a guess, meaning it may or may not be correct. Comments would be welcomed.

4. Simply post "I don't know" and leave any comments you might have.

With these choices, it gives everyone a chance to correctly answer the question early and still leave room for everyone to participate until the official answer is posted. Again, I really want to hear your comments and memories about the song/artist. So let's start again........

New Question....

9/27/18

This story-telling, banjo-picking, folkie-cum-country man died in a plane crash after his #14 hit.

Please use the answer instructions listed above.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Oldies trivia guy

Since they came out in the same year, I used to get "So Fine" confused with "You're So Fine" by the Falcons.

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

But there's no confusing either of them with Feel So Fine

One of my favorite albums as teenager was Rock n Soul by the Everlys. They did a really nice cover of So Fine, probably how I first became aware of the song.

25. Oldies trivia guy

Thanks for sharing this. I only knew of Preston's "Running Bear" and "Cradle of Love".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.