One of my fave Neil songs, "Broken Arrow" -- anyone have a friggin' clue what it's about?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I've always loved Neil Young's (Buffalo Springfield) "Broken Arrow" -- one of his weirder early efforts.

But I'm totally bamboozled by the lyrics... anyone have a clue what they (and the reference to "the river") are about?

The lights turned on and the curtain fell down
    And when it was over, it felt like a dream
    They stood at the stage door and begged for a scream
    The agents had paid for the black limousine
    That waited outside in the rain
    Did you see them, did you see them?
    Did you see them in the river?
    They were there to wave to you
    Could you tell that the empty-quivered
    Brown-skinned Indian on the banks
    That were crowded and narrow
    Held a broken arrow?

Eighteen years of American dream
    He saw that his brother had sworn on the wall
    He hung up his eyelids and ran down the hall
    His mother had told him a trip was a fall
    And don't mention babies at all
    Did you see him, did you see him?
    Did you see him in the river?
    He was there to wave to you
    Held a broken arrow?

The streets were lined for the wedding parade
    The queen wore the white gloves, the county of song
    The black-covered caisson her horses had drawn
    Protected her king from the sun rays of dawn
    They married for peace and were gone
    Did you see them, did you see them?
    Did you see them in the river?
    They were there to wave to you
    Held a broken arrow?

John B Good likes this.
  2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

First verse is partly about stardom and its shallowness. Second verse is partly about growing up in the shadow of Vietnam and the consequences of teenaged sex ("Don't mention babies at all"). Third & final verse is partly about JFK. Interwoven in all three is the Native American observer of all this.

3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Well, I've been listening to this song for 40+ years!? I always believed the first verse to be Neil's view of his being a rock star and the relationship with the fans fans. The second verse some of his thoughts of being teen in the cultural revolution of the 60's - specifically here drugs, sex, and the generation divide. Verse three refers to the Kennedy's, JFK's assassination, and the dissolving of young America's hope for the future. Neil claims the broken arrow is a Native American symbol of peace which the Indian is offering - in this instance - to keep the 60's turmoil from getting out of hand/violent. And, of course, we know what happened not many years later at Kent State.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The best Buffalo Springfield song. One of the high points of Neil's career.

5. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

A masterpiece

beatlematt and rockclassics like this.
  6. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

It's the name of his ranch.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Too good for Buffalo Springfield, too good for CSNY 'The boy did alright' Neil Young...solo star.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The ranch was named after the song.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

People marvel at "Broken Arrow" the way I do "Flying On The Ground Is Wrong" and "Expecting To Fly". They over-interpret it, posit as some consummate thought of its time when the lyrics are barely discernible, and name-drop it. While I agree that Neil Young did most of his best songwriting before he went solo, this song, while unusual and interesting, is one of those things I personally "don't get".

He does write well about the confusion brought on by stardom and fandom, and that first set of verses is a good continuation of the sentiment expressed by "Mr. Soul". I guess that, until I read this thread, I didn't know how the verses connected. By the middle of the second verse, I usually give up.

Compared to a lot of Neil Young's early work, which often seems so mature and well-realized for such a young songwriter, this one just seems messy and muddy, like an epic song about some epic-ness too vague to consider.

Just my muddled opinion. I've never been good with lyrical "poetry".

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish I'd asked this. It's sad how many things I like really go over my head.

11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I think "Broken Arrow" defies a single comprehensive, cohesive interpretation. Clearly Neil had a very difficult time getting his head around his new-found fame, as the first part of the first verse echoes sentiments from not only "Mr. Soul" but also "Out of My Mind" (he even re-uses the screams/limousines rhyme).

I've always wondered if Neil was in part inspired by the 1950 Jimmy Stewart/Jeff Chandler film "Broken Arrow". Stewart's character tries to establish peace between the White settlers and the Apaches (the broken arrow is a symbol of peaceful intentions) through a friendship he establishes with Cochise. In hindsight, the plot makes a fairly good allegory for the divisions created by the Vietnam War.

I've always interpreted the line "18 years of American dream" to be about a boy who has just turned draft age (reminiscent of "20 years of schooling and they put you on the day shift"). The silent observer holds the symbol for peace ... but can the boy be saved?

sixelsix and John B Good like this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

And the album was named after the ranch :p

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  13. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

That's why we have English majors. :D

14. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'd always assumed the last verse was JFK related, but it's a wedding, not a funeral, plus it would be way out of chronological order given the first two verses.

CCrider92 likes this.
  15. Redwood

Redwood Forum Resident

Perhaps the disconnect between dreams/promises and Reality?

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There's a chapter in "Shakey" that talks about his surgeries at this time and the disorienting effect it had. To my mind that at least explains the feel of the song (and I always found the studio tricks to be more challenging than the lyrics).

17. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

English majors often see something where there is nothing, and condescend to you when you refuse to act complicit in seeing whatever imaginary pink elephant they're hawking this week.

18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sometimes a broken arrow, is, just a broken arrow :)

Dudley Morris and DCW like this.
  19. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

No! Really?

fantgolf and DCW like this.
  20. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I can see we don't have too many English majors here.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And sometimes people think "Animal Farm" is just a book about animals. And they get Ds in English from people like me :)

drivingfrog, JDeanB, lbangs and 10 others like this.
  22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Great song from a great album. I'd love to get a HiRes mastering of 'Again'. If it sounds anything like Neil's works from Archives it would be a major winner.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And I thought it was inspired by this film. :) image.jpg

ssmith3046 likes this.
  24. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Good point! On the other hand, Neil has on several occasions put things out of chronological order such as when he redid "Ordinary People" for Chrome Dreams II and a song or two from Greendale where Grandpa had died earlier in the narrative. None of these bother me in the least because an artist can do whatever he/she wants, and, to me, it does not make the point of the work any less valid.

25. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I thought the version of Ordinary People used on CDII was from the original sessions with the Blue Notes. Guess I'd better check the liner notes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.