One of their most popular albums is one of your least favorites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Terrapin Station, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Big Lou Reed fan, and beyond the singles that would be on a hits comp find TRANSFORMER as a whole both a bit thin and uninspired and also pretty unrepresentative.

Big Who fan and while I used to value TOMMY along with the rest of their great work, find myself not caring if I ever hear it again, and also find its sonics thin and unsatisfying.

Agree above about BROTHERS and Dire Straits. In the year or so before it came out Straits were about my favorite new-ish band. That came, blew their career sky high, and also sunk my interest in them. Never bought another one from them.

2. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Oh...lest I forget---I find SURREALISTIC PILLOW the least deep and interesting of the Grace/Marty era Jefferson Airplane albums, though it is still of course a very, very good record.

Christopher B likes this.
  3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

The Beatles - White album

It's so bad i hate to even think of it as a beatles album , sounds like 4 guys on drugs trying to do solo albums but failing & then just tossing them on an album , Harrison may be the only one that really comes out shining ..
    How this became a legendary album is baffling ........... it's like the Jedi mind trick , people just think they love it :winkgrin:

4. Queen - The Game

The only Queen album to reach #1 in the US and my least favorite.

Not that it doesn't have a few excellent songs on it, especially "Save Me".

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns Thread Starter

Just to clarify, it doesn't have to be someone's most commercially popular albums (though that's fine for an interpretation, too). It can be their more critically popular albums or the albums more popular with fans--that's more what I was thinking of.

6. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

U2 - The Joshua Tree. This is where I jumped ship, and never re-boarded,

sjaca likes this.
  7. chodad

chodad Hodad

Abbey Road is one my least favorite Beatles album.

gramfan likes this.
  8. Pre and post Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac should not even be considered the same band. They didn't just alter the band, they essentially took control. I far prefer the Buckingham/Nicks era but many others feel the opposite.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  9. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

While a very enjoyable listen, The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society is overly twee and, somewhat silly. I know it is only within the last 15 years that it has become considered their masterpiece, but I really don't see it. Arthur, Lola, Something Else, even Low Budget and State of Confusion are stronger albums. A strange historical revision of the Kinks greatness, post 1996.

10. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Eagles - Hotel California

Fender Relic and Davidmk5 like this.
  11. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Megadeth - Endgame. I don't get the hype at all. Conversely, the maligned Cryptic Writings is one of my faves.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

R. E. M. 's Out if Time

john lennonist and cmarcc like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

At the time of its release I found Remain in Light to be a big letdown songwise from the first three TH albums. Still feel that way, though Speaking in Tongues is one of my favorites.

14. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ok, this one has been named before on here, but Dark Side of the Moon. Now, in fairness, it's not a bad album as such. It's just vastly overplayed and hyped way beyond the strength of the material. It's a good album. It's NOT a classic, desert album, last thing I want to hear before I close my eyes forever album. Personally, I like almost everything the Floyd put out, but I'd rank Meddle higher as an interesting exercise and, for their "mainstream years," I think Wish You Were Here is the stone cold classic. That said, it may be helped by the fact that a little over half of the album is two monolithic suites too long to get radio play. Your mileage may vary.

This may be a little left field and maybe I'm mis-judging what's considered the "best" of this band, but I really can't get behind the fact that what most people know of Oingo Boingo is the Dead Man's Party album. It's not bad and the singles are strong, but it never seems to add up to a cohesive whole to me. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who can't get enough of Dark at the End of the Tunnel, so what do I know?

And this isn't an album, but can I take a moment to vent about how overrated "Under Pressure" is in the Queen canon? It's basically a demo with a scratch vocal and yet it's considered this great tune, etc... Adds insult to injury that so many people pan Hot Space, which I think is a great album brought down by the inclusion of "Under Pressure" in the first place...

Hmm... Have I alienated everyone yet? :winkgrin:

15. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

This is an interesting topic for a thread, but bound to attract the Mary Quite Contrary crowd. You know the type - some are probably close friends.

"I know, I'll say a really popular album (insert book/movie/restaurant/play/beer here, too) is overrated/not that good/the other stuff is better as a discussion starter and that ought to last us through a six pack or two..."

Love,
    Billy

Billy Infinity and Cracklebarrel like this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I never felt the namesake rhythm section had artistic control in Fleetwood Mac.

17. Brummie

Brummie Forum Resident

Black Sabbath - the debut seems to be one of their more popular albums recently. I'd rank it in last place with respect to both the Ozzy and Dio albums.

Totally agree with the above , the first two are my least favorites with SBS, Vol 4 and sabotage being my favorites. I am convinced this is a case of the emperors new clothes and people scared to say that the dont think that they are that good.

Lifelong Sabs fan

18. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Supertramp - Breakfast in America. I much prefer the rest of their 70s output

Robert Parker likes this.
  19. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Who's Next
    Pet Sounds
    Sweetheart of the Rodeo
    Tusk
    Ram
    Brain Salad Surgery.

All are good albums I think are surpassed by many of the other albums in the artist's repertoire.

20. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Led Zeppelin IV.

Fullbug, chrisblower and Davidmk5 like this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It gets highly praised because it, for all intents and purposes, is the first true heavy metal album. I also think it's far more interesting that Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy. But yeah, they definitely got better.

22. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

The who Tommy. To long to much filler's
    Who's next is the Better one.

Crungy likes this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Interesting preferences! Star People is a gem. Decoy and Quiet Nights are dark horses in Miles' canon, both get plenty of plays by me too.

Chev likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I love it, but you're right that it's not really representative.

25. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

[​IMG]

Overblown poser LP.

john lennonist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.