ONKYO C-S5VL won't work*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fluffskul, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert Thread Starter

Any help is appreciated. I've had this player (Onkyo C-S5VL) that I've raved about for sound. It had skipping issues not too long ago, a disc cleaner did the trick. Fast forward a few months...

I put a CD player in hit play, its fairly loud (digital click loud NOT mechanical gear loud) and doesn't play. It loads to track 1 but the time does't advance. I change to a different CD, same thing. I change to an SACD hybird. Now it doesn't even read the disc or change to track 1. And pressing the open button does nothing. Display reads "open" but it won't actually open. Any troubleshooting help?

FWIW, I've always loved the sound on this unit. And believed the reviews that it was a "giant killer" (a legit entry level stereo SACD player <$400). But this is the second time I've had serious issues with it not playing in less than 5 years. It makes me seriously wonder if I'd ever trust Onkyo again.

2. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I can't help with your particular issue but I have this model too and it sounds fantastic for the price, but boy does it have problems reading the CD layer, often having to insert the CD several times before that blue light comes on!

3. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert Thread Starter

Stereo guy in our town couldn't figure it out either... seems they used a subpar transport that wasn't really meant for the daily listening I gave it. It did sound great... but they need to cut costs somewhere, and unfortunately budget players are gonna fail after daily listening sooner or later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.