Onkyo TX-8050 dies and I'm LMBO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Onkyo TX-8050 just gave up the ghost and I'm laughing my behind off 'cause I just finished modding my Foreplay III tube preamp. Seriously, I had just carried the preamp (and a power amp) back to the rack, went to turn off the soldering iron and poof, the TX turn itself off. Maybe it got offended. It tried to turn itself back on several times and failed miserably. And, I really don't care.

:D:pineapple::biglaugh::laugh::biglaugh::bdance::D

There are sweeter sounding tunes playing as I type. :)

I really don't know what purpose this thread serves. Perhaps it's a hoorah for tubes/valves. Maybe a hooray for DIY. I don't know. Just felt like sharing. This little life episode made my day.

Rolltide, McLover and Jasonb like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That's karma for ya! Little life episodes indeed. Enjoy!

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's synchronicity baby!

56GoldTop likes this.
  4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Any chance that modding your pre amp caused the short circuit?

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It was turning off the soldering iron that did it - a power spike. :D

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. 56GoldTop

I don't think so. Separate circuits/breakers. Nothing else went.

This is the shortest lived piece of audio gear I've ever had. :laugh: Onkyo issued recalls on several of it's late products, including the TX-8050. I had not experienced the "power-cycling" issue for the first year; so, I thought I might be in the clear. Nope. It spontaneously power-cycled on me a few weeks ago. Then last night, it got jealous of the tubes and quit. He he heee. It was incredibly convenient and still has a feature set most modern recvrs/integrated amps can't touch; very convenient for the massive amount of needledrops I did. But, sonically, it was never anything special (imho). I won't miss it and if I have to pay shipping to get it fixed (it's still under warranty I think), I won't even bother; probably won't bother either way.

7. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I see you are stressing.

56GoldTop likes this.
  8. 56GoldTop

Wait a minute... I just lost a piece of gear. Doesn't that technically mean I get to buy another piece of gear. :evil: Maybe it's finally time to build those tube monoblocks I've been researching to death. If I don't actually tell my wife how little the TX cost...................................... :winkgrin:

9. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Could you elaborate on that? I own a TX-8050 and wasn't aware of any recalls. Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years, but if there's a recall I'd be interesting in learning more about it. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.