Only One - Kanye West (feat. Paul McCartney) Part 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Here is some more information about the collaboration, and what might be the next Kanye/McCartney song:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6450364/kanye-west-new-music-rihanna

Kanye gave a surprise presentation, where he played a new song that may be the Kanye/Rihanna/McCartney song. It is described as having an acoustic guitar sound and 'huge' hooky chorus.

Kanye also spoke about working with Paul, and about what a 'sexy' song Come Together is. He spoke of his amazement when Paul started playing the bass-line of Come Together in the studio with him.

2. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

4. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Composers are:

Kanye West, Paul McCartney, Kirby Lauryen, Mike Dean, Ty Dolla $ign, Dave Longstreth, Dallas Austin, Elon Rutberg & Noah Goldstein.

6. beatle_giancarlo

beatle_giancarlo Forum Resident

Only One - Drops to #85 US Hot 100

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I don't ever want to read another post on this forum complainimg about modern country or hip-hop songs having too many writers. :laugh:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Both Paul McCartney and Kanye West have been announced as guests for Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary special on February 15.

10. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

11. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Here's the problem with Paul's big-name collaborations. They often serve to propel him up the charts, and they momentarily bring him back into vogue, but they do nothing positive for his legacy.

His collaboration with Stevie Wonder produced the huge hit Ebony and Ivory. But soon it became one of his most mocked efforts. The video with the contrasting black and white vests, the lyrics which contain not an ounce of subtlety - it all adds up to Paul trying too hard.

The same is true of his collaboration with Michael Jackson. It produced successful singles in the short term, but in the long term, because of those singles, he became a laughingstock. The videos are so cringe-worthy. I've seen posters in record stores of Paul and Michael Jackson dancing together with the words "Gay, Gay, Gay" plastered across the top.

So Paul's collaborations with Kanye might get him on the charts, but in the long term this is all going to be seen as a big joke. Paul can be so shortsighted.

12. I love "Only One" and "FourFiveSeconds."
    I can't wait to see Sir Paul on the Grammys and hear the next Yeezy-Macca single!
    Good times.

JDeanB and Imaginary boy like this.
  13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

gottafeelin likes this.
  14. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Yes, Ebony & Ivory is awful. Stevie and Paul's sensibilities were both too sweet and together made for a massive toothache. But Say Say Say is a great pop song and there's nothing "cringeworthy" about the video at all. Not sure what you're talking about there. I rarely see much if any criticism of Say Say Say (except from a certain type of 'rawk' fan who hates pop anyway, and some ever-uptight Beatles fans.)

And why should Paul be held responsible for someone else's homophobia? Not his problem.

The media has been using Paul as a punching bag for years; sometimes he's in favor, sometimes he's ridiculed. Not sure there's much he can do about it. And he certainly shouldn't stop doing things that he wants to do. Because the folks who like to hate on him as a "lightweight" are never going to back off of that because their minds are made up. I'm sure he figures: Eff 'em.

15. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's all rather subjective.

Paul's no different in that than any other music star.

Or, he tries harder to toughen up to prove to everyone that he's not such a "lightweight", which he has done many times. Trying to show "I'm not soft; I can be just as hard as John."

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I can't understand how Four Five Seconds is any less a 'McCartney' song than With A Little Help was a McCartney song. In both cases, Paul co-wrote the song, and in both cases he didn't sing the lead vocal. That does not stop With A Little Help from being seen as a McCartney or Lennon/McCartney song, and I don't see why it should stop Four Five Seconds from being seen as one either; the only difference is that instead of Ringo singing, it is Rihanna singing.

A more recent example would be Cut Me Some Slack, which is credited to all 4 of the performers on the song, despite Paul singing the lead vocal. Does the fact that Paul sang it mean that Grohl and the others shouldn't share the Grammy and credit, just because they didn't sing, even though they are listed as having co-written it? I see it referred to as being by Sirvana, a title that acknowledges all of their contributions to the song, not just the singers contribution.

17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Correct!

45 years after composition, finally found its place!

20. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

So brilliant. That intense game-changing instant anthem, and then at the end McCartney Auto-Tuning all over the place on a trap beat. Boom, in their faces!

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

He needs to stop using the n-word. That is a deal-breaker for me.

22. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I cannot believe this; when I listened to the Brit Awards performance of All Day I kept on thinking that it reminded me of something that Paul had written. After a couple of hours thinking about it, it occurred to me that it is 'When The Wind Is Blowing'.

I only didn't mention it here because I didn't know if I was being ridiculous or not. I am glad that I am not alone in hearing it.

Is Paul credited on the song or is this not one of the collaborative songs that he was involved with?

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Wow that was incredibly offensive.

I'll never listen to that again as long as I live.

Mr. "Cohen" must be spinning in his grave (assuming he's even dead) to know the type of lyrical company he is now keeping. :)

mrjinks and Frank like this.
  24. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Incredibly offensive is part of the draw. The intended audience thought that Paul McCartney was a new talent that Kanye had just made famous, remember.

Sounds like a B-side from the YEEZUS sessions to me

25. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

The verse after the whistling, is that Paul? It sounds like him after the first listen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.